Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Planey28

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Birmingham, UK
Obviously I understand that command prompts have their uses, often amongst pro users and tinkerers, that goes without saying. But to recommend an average user the command line over a GUI option is just plain dumb. Especially on an Apple products that are often cited as being the best choice for Joe Normal here on MacRumors.

You really think removing powerful features and making them command line only is a good idea? Seriously?

The average user won't be going for the options that are only in the terminal, that's why they're there.

Reactions: throAU

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
But to recommend an average user the command line over a GUI option is just plain dumb. Especially on an Apple products that are often cited as being the best choice for Joe Normal here on MacRumors.

You really think removing powerful features and making them command line only is a good idea? Seriously?

OK i'll bite.

What end-user feature is missing from GUI disk utility?
What percentage of OS X users ever even enter disk utility?

Do you think adding advanced GUI options to disk utility (given it has been re-vamped no doubt for improvements apple has or is making to the filesystem/core storage/etc.) is higher priority than fixing bugs, getting metal out the door, etc.?

edit:
furthermore - command line is easier than GUI if you are attempting to direct someone to do things from remote. they can cut/paste.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Obviously I understand that command prompts have their uses, often amongst pro users and tinkerers, that goes without saying. But to recommend an average user the command line over a GUI option is just plain dumb. Especially on an Apple products that are often cited as being the best choice for Joe Normal here on MacRumors.

I don't think that you do understand. Command line does not 'have its uses'. It is the most direct and many cases most efficient access to the OS. The administrative UI, in majority of cases, is simply a wrapper around the command line. The UI can be used to make some frequently used actions more convenient, at the expense of flexibility and power. Trying to implement all the options in the GUI always results in cumbersome, bloated software. I don't understand why Apple should waste development time on that, when they can provide a basic utility that can cover 99% of the cases. And for the rest there are perfectly clear and well documented administrative tools. And yes, I believe that every OS X user should learn the basics of the command line, just as every driver should have some basic understanding of the technical working of a car.

Your entire premise is moot anyway, because I am still looking for those 'removed powerful features' from Disk Utility and I can't find them.

Reactions: KALLT and throAU

Fangio

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
[...] I am still looking for those 'removed powerful features' from Disk Utility and I can't find them.
Maybe you missed my post at #66 about burning bootable CDs/DVDs with an on-board tool in OS X.

Just in case it's available via command line I doubt it's as comfortable as via UI..

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Maybe you missed my post at #66 about burning bootable CDs/DVDs with an on-board tool in OS X.

Oh, true, I did miss it, sorry. About that: I am sure that it is deliberate. Optical media have been made obsolete in the Mac line some time ago. I don't think they would invest even a minute of development time into something they clearly want gone from their platform. I don't see it as dumbing down or removing features. Its just culling legacy stuff.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
So you won't be able to revive that PPC Mac you still have lying around and lost the original install media from using OS X El Capitan. I really don't see the issue here since all modern Macs and PCs are able to boot off of USB.

Fangio

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
Let me quote another, not unimportant option that used to come in handy
... How does one burn [3rd party] Firmware Update ISOs, ie for SSDs with some FreeDOS or Linux on it in future?

BTW I don't think the majority of mac users has abandoned optical media altogether just because Apple did.

Last edited:
Reactions: -hh

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
I upgraded firmware using a USB drive over optical media in the past just fine. It's a lot more convenient than having to burn a CD every time. Anyway, if you have a working Linux installation at your disposal just use that to burn said firmware CDs/DVDs.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
So you won't be able to revive that PPC Mac you still have lying around and lost the original install media from using OS X El Capitan. I really don't see the issue here since all modern Macs and PCs are able to boot off of USB.

Furthermore, if you DO want to burn optical media, there are apps for it. For those macs that actually still have optical drives. That run El Capitan.

BTW I don't think the majority of mac users has abandoned optical media altogether just because Apple did.

I have a PC with an optical drive i have not used in 2 years (it was used to install Windows and that's it).

I have used the optical drive on my 2011 machine maybe 3 times.

With cheap USB sticks in the order of 16-64 GB or more, streaming services, etc. there's little reason to bother with a DVD drive any more. You could maybe argue the case for back up to Blu-Ray, but that hasn't been available on the Mac in any case and doesn't work with time machine.

Reactions: Cisco_Kid

Fangio

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
Furthermore, if you DO want to burn optical media, there are apps for it. For those macs that actually still have optical drives. That run El Capitan.
The emphasis was on bootable. Thanks, I've been using Toast since v5, it never was as reliable burning anything OS related as Disk Utility.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

But its the same thing. Third party SSDs are not officially supported by Apple and it has been ages since they sold a computer that could officially be upgrade with a third-party SSD. It is of course a different question whether its friendly to the customer or not, but the fact remains — Apple has been very clear that they don't support certain things.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

The emphasis was on bootable. I've been using Toast since v5.x, it was never as reliable burning anything OS related as Disk Utility.

Why are you booting optical media when USB thumb drive is faster to install from? It's not like say 8 bucks is expensive if you need a USB stick to do it with.

Fangio

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
Why are you booting optical media when USB thumb drive is faster to install from? It's not like say 8 bucks is expensive if you need a USB stick to do it with.
Ever owned a 3rd party SSD from Samsung or Cruical for example? Good luck getting their firmware update ISOs on a USB stick.

Fangio

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
But its the same thing. Third party SSDs are not officially supported by Apple and it has been ages since they sold a computer that could officially be upgrade with a third-party SSD. It is of course a different question whether its friendly to the customer or not, but the fact remains — Apple has been very clear that they don't support certain things.
I don't consider 3-4 years "ages", and I don't consider optical media obsolete period. Many people still use external optical drives with the latest macs. Maybe thats just me but I just can't see the urgent need to remove this functionality to handle them from Disk Utility. Over and out ;)

Last edited:

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Yeah... that wasn't my point. At all.

Why put something in the UI that most users will not ever need. Simply move those options to still be accessible from the command line. And how many people do you think will need to access those options? Moving an option out of the GUI has a benefit of a less cluttered UI interface. Personally, as long as the option is available I really don't see the problem that I have an extra step to open the terminal app to execute the option. When I do it isn't very often. And hence why it is only accessed from the command line.

Last edited:

Planey28

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Birmingham, UK
Yeah... that wasn't my point. At all.

You were complaining that they were removing features from the GUI that more powerful users are after. My point was that you don't really need to whine over it, the features are still available in the terminal and through other means, and 'power users' will be comfortable going that route.

Most 'average' users are not going to be going into the disk utility to do anything other than format a disk; and this is UNFINISHED, BETA software, it's a little early to be making judgments on it.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014

When it's a feature that's

1) only relevant in edge cases,
2) more likely to be misused that used correctly,
3) likely to be used correctly by those who frequent the command line,

then, sure, it's quite a good idea.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014

What do people frequently use optical media for?

Software? That's mostly gone. Music? Long eclipsed by downloads. Backup? A useful archiving medium, but rather niche.

That mostly leaves us with video. Macs never adopted Blu-Ray, so you'll be using third-party software and hardware there anyway.

But this isn't even about optical media in general; it's about uses for optical media in Disk Utility. That mostly means burning disk images. Which brings us back to… software.

Neither OS X nor Windows get primarily distributed in physical media any more. You can make discs of them, but you typically don't have to; instead, you do an in-place upgrade or an install from a recovery partition. For Linux, install from disk is still common, but even that is only relevant when you're talking about a physical machine; increasingly, you just do VMs, in which case an ISO will suffice.

Sounds rather niche to me.

Fangio

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
[...] Sounds rather niche to me.
Oops overlooked this sry. Still, you're missing the point. It's not about some teenage hipster MBA users that won't miss, and probably never noticed the feature to burn optical media in Disk Utility. It's about all the others.

Have a look at which macs are capable to run El Cap, and even those silly nerds posting ****** links (that was last funny in the '00s) will understand that a considerable part of the mac lineup and their users are affected
  • iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
  • MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
  • Xserve (Early 2009)
. Guess how many of them came with a superdrive.

Reactions: ncrypt

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Guess how many of them came with a superdrive.

Probably a minority by now. And the question really isn't "how many have a SuperDrive", but "how many are used by people who use the SuperDrive to burn disk images in Disk Utility".

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Just in case it's available via command line I doubt it's as comfortable as via UI..

I'm pretty sure you can just right click on the ISO or whatever disk image and select "burn disk image". Seems a whole lot easier and quicker than having to go into disk utility or anything else really.

I did this for a Windows 10 disk and works just fine.

Fangio

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
Probably a minority by now. And the question really isn't "how many have a SuperDrive", but "how many are used by people who use the SuperDrive to burn disk images in Disk Utility".
For the record I have a multiboot system and can easily boot into earlier OS X versions or Win to sail around the issue. But the point was, there's absolutely no need to cut away such features yet, and currently most average users who will miss them haven't even noticed yet. Why is it that people are defending such incomprehensible examples as perfectly fine? Because Apple knows best which features people want to keep and whats superflous?

Will be fun to quote some guys here when El Cap is released and the whining really starts.

Reactions: alvindarkness
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.