Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Can i help you beta testing? I have a Macbook 4.1 with GMAX3100. Naturally i have other machines running PB3 a retina 13" and a Mac Pro. Contact me via PM I will give you my contacts.

I don't have perfectly working patching instructions so I recommend trying the ones I provided above for Mavericks but make sure you add another modified Basesystem.dmg and the hidden base system.c. . . . file in the root of your USB. If you have a external drive, you can try installing it from your supported Macs and then delete the platformsupport.plist so you will be able to boot from it on the X3100 model.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
SO i can try to install Yosemite from my Mac pro, then delete platformsupport.plist to be able to boot. Then i can add GMAx3100 kext right?

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
tell me the directory, I can send them to you

I guess it's the 'OpenGL.framework' folder in '/System/Library/Frameworks/'.

Unfortunately the 10.7.5 Combo Update contains not all 'OpenGL.framework' files compared to a installed Lion.

Maybe the 10.7.5 Combo Update is anyhow useful if a other file is needed (it's in the Payload file, approx. 4.27 GB unzipped). See this Guide how to extract the files.

10.7.5 Combo Update: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1582 .

Last edited:

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
I guess it's the 'OpenGL.framework' folder in '/System/Library/Frameworks/'.

Unfortunately the 10.7.5 Combo Update contains not all 'OpenGL.framework' files compared to a installed Lion.

Maybe the 10.7.5 Combo Update is anyhow useful if a other file is needed (it's in the Payload file, approx. 4.27 GB unzipped). See this Guide how to extract the files.

10.7.5 Combo Update: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1582 .

I've a full lion installation, i'll upload the opengl and opencl frameworks and then I share with you the links :)

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
See the Posts #1 and #2 for a updated Guide for the creating of a patched OS X 10.10 Yosemite Installer for unsupported older Macs.

Last edited:

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
If someone is interested in testing, here a small Guide for Yosemite on older Macs:

- get the Yosemite PB3 Installer from the App-Store
- use a USB-Flashdrive or HDD with GUID-Partition and Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Filesystem
- restore the BaseSystem.dmg with Disk Utility
- replace the Alias in /System/Installation/ with the Packages folder from InstallESD.dmg
- add the Board-ID to /System/Installation/Packages/InstallableMachines.plist
- add the Board-ID and the Mac-Model to /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist
- add the Board-ID to /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg
- copy BaseSystem.dmg and BaseSystem.chunklist into the root folder of the USB-Flashdrive or HDD
- add the kernel to /System/Library/Kernels/
- replace the Boot.efi in /System/Library/CoreServices/ as well as /usr/standalone/i386 with the new one from here.

The PB3-Installer boots fine on my MBP2,2 (late 2006, EFI32).
Of course no graphics acceleration and transparency without appropriate 64bit graphics Kexts.

Determining the Board-ID via Terminal: ioreg -lp IOService | grep board-id

The Mac-Model can be identified with the System Profiler App in Utilities.

Extracting the OSInstall.mpkg via Terminal: xar -x -f OSInstall.mpkg
Packing the OSInstall.mpkg via Terminal: xar -c -f OSInstall.mpkg *

The Kernel can be extracted with Pacifist from InstallESD.dmg -> Packages -> Essentials.pkg -> /System/Library/Kernels/kernel

Thanks i'm going to try, then i will hope someone will make 64bit kexts for GMAX3100:)

----------

all macs with gma x3100 are 64bit boot.efi capable :)

So we don't need this, right?
- replace the Boot.efi in /System/Library/CoreServices/ as well as /usr/standalone/i386 with the new one from here.

Last edited:

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
@atvusr

I've done all! Installer reports no problem, but at first boot i get the "can't load on this system" image. I edited both PlatformSupport and InstallableMachines, also created a new OSInstall.mpkg following your steps. I will double check. I've jumped the boot.efi, probably the issue

Attachments

• y8ULs.jpg
    y8ULs.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 2,778

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
@atvusr

I've done all! Installer reports no problem, but at first boot i get the "can't load on this system" image. I edited both PlatformSupport and InstallableMachines, also created a new OSInstall.mpkg following your steps. I will double check. I've jumped the boot.efi, probably the issue

What model do you have? I don't really know if your Mac needed the modified boot.efi or not but first try deleting the PlatformSupport.plist from the newly installed partition using the terminal in the OS X Installer image

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
If someone is interested in testing, here a small Guide for Yosemite on older Macs:

- get the Yosemite PB3 Installer from the App-Store
- use a USB-Flashdrive or HDD with GUID-Partition and Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Filesystem
- restore the BaseSystem.dmg with Disk Utility
- replace the Alias in /System/Installation/ with the Packages folder from InstallESD.dmg
- add the Board-ID to /System/Installation/Packages/InstallableMachines.plist
- add the Board-ID and the Mac-Model to /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist
- copy BaseSystem.dmg and BaseSystem.chunklist into the root folder of the USB-Flashdrive or HDD

The PB3-Installer boots fine on my MBP2,2 (late 2006, EFI32).
Of course no graphics acceleration and transparency without appropriate 64bit graphics Kexts.

Determining the Board-ID via Terminal: ioreg -lp IOService | grep board-id

The Mac-Model can be identified with the System Profiler App in Utilities.

Extracting the OSInstall.mpkg via Terminal: xar -x -f OSInstall.mpkg
Packing the OSInstall.mpkg via Terminal: xar -c -f OSInstall.mpkg *

The Kernel can be extracted with Pacifist from InstallESD.dmg -> Packages -> Essentials.pkg -> /System/Library/Kernels/kernel

Cool, you have a more simplified guide than mine. This can go on the yosemite patch website. How are the apps workin on your Mac? Are Maps and QuickTime working okay? Any sound or video problems like youtube glitches or Netflix issues? Did the PlatformSupport.plist overwrite when updating to PB4?

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
What model do you have? I don't really know if your Mac needed the modified boot.efi or not but first try deleting the PlatformSupport.plist from the newly installed partition using the terminal in the OS X Installer image

I've rereplaced boot.fi with the original Yosemite one and now the installer works again, trying to make a clean install. If still no joy i will try to delete PlatformSupport but should not needed since i've edited it and aded support for my Mac as the guide said. I will let you know later.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
I've rereplaced boot.fi with the original Yosemite one and now the installer works again, trying to make a clean install. If still no joy i will try to delete PlatformSupport but should not needed since i've edited it and aded support for my Mac as the guide said. I will let you know later.

If the Installation is successful but the Mac is unable to boot into OS X Yosemite, go back to the OS X Installer and find the terminal. Enter this:
sudo rm /Volumes/[Macintosh HD Name]/System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist

The OS X Installer sometimes adds another platformsupport.plist during installation. I don't know where exactly that copy is coming from though.

CamCroz99

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2014
Where is the best place that I can/should download the installer from? Unsurprisingly, it won't let me from the App store.

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Where is the best place that I can/should download the installer from? Unsurprisingly, it won't let me from the App store.

Install Mavericks in a Virtual Machine and try to download therein the Yosemite PB4 from the App-Store.

CamCroz99

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2014
Where is the Basesystem.dmg file located? Is it just the .app?

NVM I forgot to unhide my files.

Last edited:

CamCroz99

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2014

Having a little trouble with the first step there. I can't for the life of me figure out how to add my board ID to the mpkg. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.