Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Sithari

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2014
Well well... I just registered because of this topic. Fist of, nice work!

I have a White Macbook 3,1 (2007, GMA X3100 144 MB) with 3 GB Ram instead of two, and a SSD.
I succesfully installed Yosemite on my machine (with the normal boot.efi, the modified one didn't boot, btw. booted in my normal system when clicking on Yosemite Installation in StartUp). Had to delete the plist file via Terminal, all went fine.

2 (actually 3) big problems. First of, I installed every kext for graphics I could find, the Mavericks one from you worked a bit. Little less artifacts, but in System he still shows 6 MB Monitor. And my external display doesn't work. If you have the right kexts, I would really appreciate it.

Second, audio is not working, no success with kexts, only with Voodoo (out of your Mavericks patch), but good sound is clearly something else.

Third, its really really slow, I have no heavy CPU usage and have 1,5 GB free Ram, so its not that I guess. But even the mouse cursor hinks... If you have any suggestions, I'll be happy to try them.

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014

I have a White Macbook 3,1 (2007, GMA X3100 144 MB) with 3 GB Ram instead of two, and a SSD.
I succesfully installed Yosemite on my machine (with the normal boot.efi, the modified one didn't boot, btw. booted in my normal system when clicking on Yosemite Installation in StartUp). Had to delete the plist file via Terminal, all went fine.

2 (actually 3) big problems. First of, I installed every kext for graphics I could find, the Mavericks one from you worked a bit. Little less artifacts, but in System he still shows 6 MB Monitor. And my external display doesn't work. If you have the right kexts, I would really appreciate it.

Second, audio is not working, no success with kexts, only with Voodoo (out of your Mavericks patch), but good sound is clearly something else.

Third, its really really slow, I have no heavy CPU usage and have 1,5 GB free Ram, so its not that I guess. But even the mouse cursor hinks... If you have any suggestions, I'll be happy to try them.

sorry for the ot, I have the same macbook, how is it working with the ssd? is it worth to update from @7200rpm hdd?

anyway, can you replace the opengl and opencl folders in yosemite with the folders I uploaded from lion? (backup first the original ones)

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States

If the About my Mac still says 6 mb Moniter, the kexts are wrong! Get another copy. The slowness is likely a result of the kexts not reading correctly.

----------

sorry for the ot, I have the same macbook, how is it working with the ssd? is it worth to update from @7200rpm hdd?

anyway, can you replace the opengl and opencl folders in yosemite with the folders I uploaded from lion? (backup first the original ones)

I have a SSD. It works wonders
I wouldn't try the OpenGL yet, you will probably get the WindowServer glitch

Sithari

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2014
If the About my Mac still says 6 mb Moniter, the kexts are wrong! Get another copy. The slowness is likely a result of the kexts not reading correctly.

Well thats what I thought. I tried everything that I found, same result.
You wrote that you have the GMA X3100 kexts, would you share them? That would be just great :)

oemden

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
Sfott & yosemite

QUick note to say I succeeded to install Yosemite on my MacMini2,1.

I've read here : https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1740775/.

I'll work on adapting SFOTT this week-end and I've almost done it.
just have to ad extra steps needed for Yosemite.

http://oemden.com/?p=1352

many thanks to all of you for the instructions, you rock and I'll do all I can to have SFOOT working for Yosemite (I'm confident)

cheers.

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
QUick note to say I succeeded to install Yosemite on my MacMini2,1.

I've read here : https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1740775/.

I'll work on adapting SFOTT this week-end and I've almost done it.
just have to ad extra steps needed for Yosemite.

http://oemden.com/?p=1352

many thanks to all of you for the instructions, you rock and I'll do all I can to have SFOOT working for Yosemite (I'm confident)

cheers.

do you have graphics acceleration ?

if I remembrer well sfott doesn't work on macs with gma x3100 graphics

Sithari

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2014
I read something this morning. In 10.6.2, Apple had 64 bit kexts for the GMA X3100. So they should work with Yosemite, will give it a try later.

Only Thing I'm wondering about is, are they in the Combo Update or do I have to load the full 10.6.2 Installation?

I'll give an update as soon as I checked that...

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
the best thing that someone can do is to take those snow leopard kext and update them with at least open gl 3.3 with some handcode

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
do you have graphics acceleration ? if I remembrer well sfott doesn't work on macs with gma x3100 graphics

You remembering not well - SFOTT is only a Tool to create a Install Medium for older Macs and Mountain Lion / Mavericks / Yosemite.

It has nothing to do with graphics Kexts and/or graphics acceleration. Don't confuse it with MLPF.

Last edited:

Sithari

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2014
Success! Went all fine with the 10.6.2 kexts on my GMA X3100. You can download the Combo Update directly from Apple. Just extract them, install per Kext Utility.

Then reboot with cmd+s for terminal command. Type in sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"

Then everything should work smoothly, even with an external display :)

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2014-10-08 um 17.35.16.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2014-10-08 um 17.35.16.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 1,346

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
what about sound, stop&resume, wifi, flash and itunes and safari video playback or other issues?

Last edited:

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
Why don't you try this by yourself and share your experiences with other users as reward for e.g. the Boot.efi, SFOTT or the many useful tipps & tricks?

because right now I have a VERY VERY instable internet connection due to problems with my ISP (I'm waiting for them to fix it), this means that for me downloading the 5 GB of the yosemite gm2 requires at least 4 or 5 days (if I'm lucky 2) as you can see from the image posted right below

attachment.php

Attachments

• Schermata 2014-10-08 a 18.47.56.png
    Schermata 2014-10-08 a 18.47.56.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 3,254

syobwoc

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2013
South Texas
Success! Went all fine with the 10.6.2 kexts on my GMA X3100. You can download the Combo Update directly from Apple. Just extract them, install per Kext Utility.

Then reboot with cmd+s for terminal command. Type in sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"

Then everything should work smoothly, even with an external display :)

looks awesome! could you go over the steps you used to get it installed? I'm tempted to try this on my black macbook. Thanks!

oemden

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
do you have graphics acceleration ?

if I remembrer well sfott doesn't work on macs with gma x3100 graphics

Nope, The only purpose of SFOTT is mainly to ease the process to create a USB key.
I did not try to add kext and such as too many hardware.

Now if I read more info and be sure that adding Kext on the key could help gma x3100, I would do it. But then I'd have to create script actions to later on add those kext to the System...
i'm afraid it'd be quite a big job, and I lately changed job so I have not the same amount of time I had previously.

I'm not closing the door, I just did not try to deal with kext and did not search/work on it at all.

EDit well all has been said in atvusr post above :)

But if the quote from the above post is correct I may give it a shot to include it on the key and maybe add a menu to include it on the system afterwards. - not a promise but doable.

Sithari

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2014
Sorry for the late call, so, sound and graphics are working flawless, just awesome. At first sound didn't work, but just install (via kext utility) the 2 kexts, which are provided in the Mavericks Patch, and reboot, problem solved.

I have just one issue, not that bad, but it bugs me.

When I try to play a avi/mp4/mkv... and so on, I only get sound, no video. Theres no error message or something like that. Its not the player, tried VLC, Mplayer, even iTunes with a mp4, nothing works.

Only thing possible is to play a mp4 in QuickTime, there I have video. If I try that in VLC, nothing. Any suggestions? Its not a codec, installed various packages...

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
Sorry for the late call, so, sound and graphics are working flawless, just awesome. At first sound didn't work, but just install (via kext utility) the 2 kexts, which are provided in the Mavericks Patch, and reboot, problem solved.

I have just one issue, not that bad, but it bugs me.

When I try to play a avi/mp4/mkv... and so on, I only get sound, no video. Theres no error message or something like that. Its not the player, tried VLC, Mplayer, even iTunes with a mp4, nothing works.

Only thing possible is to play a mp4 in QuickTime, there I have video. If I try that in VLC, nothing. Any suggestions? Its not a codec, installed various packages...

how is safari working? any glitch with that?

curious that thing don't work even with vlc, maybe we have to add something to the opengl and opengl from lion to the relatives folders in yosemite :confused:

can you try this? until my connection don't allow me to do tests myself I'm stucked :confused:

edit: any issue with the stop&resume?

Last edited:

Sithari

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2014
how is safari working? any glitch with that?

curious that thing don't work even with vlc, maybe we have to add something to the opengl and opengl from lion to the relatives folders in yosemite :confused:

can you try this? until my connection don't allow me to do tests myself I'm stucked :confused:

edit: any issue with the stop&resume?

Well, guess I will try that tomorrow. Safari is fully functional and awesome :) What do you mean with stop and resume?

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
Well, guess I will try that tomorrow. Safari is fully functional and awesome :) What do you mean with stop and resume?

when you close the display and the computer goes in "stop", then when you reopoen the display and the computer resumes :)

have you tried maps.app ?

Last edited:

Sithari

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2014
when you close the display and the computer goes in "stop", then when you reopoen the display and the computer resumes :)

have you tried maps.app ?

Nope, doesn't work, he doesn't enter hibernate, btw. won't switch back on.

Edit: Interesting, Maps won't work either, beachball on start.

----------

Sorry for double post, but its important to anyone. Tried an older version of VLC, I get an error which says I need Open GL Quartz Extreme acceleration. So do I just switch the Open GL bundle?

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2014-10-09 um 00.11.26 (2).png
    Bildschirmfoto 2014-10-09 um 00.11.26 (2).png
    207.3 KB · Views: 476

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
Nope, doesn't work, he doesn't enter hibernate, btw. won't switch back on.

Edit: Interesting, Maps won't work either, beachball on start.

----------

Sorry for double post, but its important to anyone. Tried an older version of VLC, I get an error which says I need Open GL Quartz Extreme acceleration. So do I just switch the Open GL bundle?

try the "compare & merge" method for the opengl and opencl folders :D

[you can search in the app store or at google for an app that do that ;) ]

BonzaiPenguin

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2013
That's awesome that you were able to use the 64-bit kexts from 10.6.2 for Yosemite – I downloaded the combo update and used the "file" command to confirm that they are indeed 64-bit, whereas the kexts included with MLPF are 32-bit alpha drivers from a 10.7 preview – but getting Quartz Extreme to work was the hard part! You can tell hardware acceleration isn't enabled because the dock and menu bar are a solid white. The issues people had with that were that full-screen Netflix and YouTube playback is too slow on the MacBook 3,1 hardware, and of course a general lack of snapiness in everyday computing.

By the way, have we ever discussed the feasibility of compiling a 32-bit kernel from opensource.apple.com? Someone did it for fun for 10.8, but I couldn't find any followup on how well it worked and whether it could be applied to MLPF or MVPF. It won't magically cause OpenGL 4 support to appear in the 32-bit drivers, but... maybe it could help with something?

EDIT: Also, if you're having trouble getting Maps to work, you'll likely also have issues with FaceTime and Messages. I think those apps check your machine/board ID for server-side validation, and HackerWayne had a lot of trouble getting past that restriction. Not sure how that was resolved.

Last edited:

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
That's awesome that you were able to use the 64-bit kexts from 10.6.2 for Yosemite – I downloaded the combo update and used the "file" command to confirm that they are indeed 64-bit, whereas the kexts included with MLPF are 32-bit alpha drivers from a 10.7 preview – but getting Quartz Extreme to work was the hard part! You can tell hardware acceleration isn't enabled because the dock and menu bar are a solid white. The issues people had with that were that full-screen Netflix and YouTube playback is too slow on the MacBook 3,1 hardware, and of course a general lack of snapiness in everyday computing.

By the way, have we ever discussed the feasibility of compiling a 32-bit kernel from opensource.apple.com? Someone did it for fun for 10.8, but I couldn't find any followup on how well it worked and whether it could be applied to MLPF or MVPF. It won't magically cause OpenGL 4 support to appear in the 32-bit drivers, but... maybe it could help with something?

EDIT: Also, if you're having trouble getting Maps to work, you'll likely also have issues with FaceTime and Messages. I think those apps check your machine/board ID for server-side validation, and HackerWayne had a lot of trouble getting past that restriction. Not sure how that was resolved.

I think that an "easy" way to be able to have an almost-full-working yosemite is to build from the scratch of the 10.6.2 64bit kext a driver that can support at least full and working 3.3 open gl (minimum requirements for yosemite-mavericks)

we need to find a man that is able to develop kext-drivers (as yo want to call them) for mac os x

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.