Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Welcome to our P52! This project is designed to get you out with your camera once a week in a meaningful way. Each week I will post a prompt for you to consider. The prompts are merely suggestions, and you are free to shoot off topic if you wish. All images posted must be taken by you, be safe for work, and be taken with this project in mind. Please do not post archive photos. For a further discussion of the guidelines, please refer to this thread, and you can find the previous weeks linked there if you missed them. Feel free to join in at any time of the year, and you may go back to missed weeks if you still wish to participate.

Week 13: Framing

main.jpg

Well this week marks the end of the first quarter of the year! How is that even possible? This week we are going to look at one of my favorite compositional techniques, framing. Although many modern art and photographic pieces are frameless, most art is not only framed but also matted, giving the artwork several different borders, which separates it from the background on which it is hanging or sitting. The frames offer a structure that delineates beginning and end of the artwork.

Framing is a great way to direct your viewer’s eye to the subject and give the subject a sense of place and belonging. You can find framing elements in nature and architecture, or you build them yourself within an image with some of the layering and lighting techniques we’ve already talked about. This is a great week to use some of our past lessons to create a more dynamic image.

One of the easiest ways to include framing in your images is simply to shoot through or towards a window. It is a simple but very effective technique. Windows already add a distinct shape and inherently add layers by offering an inside/outside view. You don’t always have to be inside looking out; using windows from the outside allow for more layers with reflections.

2023-03-27_0001.jpg

Architectural elements are another easy way to add in a framing element; look for fences, archways, or doorways. Often just having one side of a doorway is enough to introduce the idea of framing, as our brains naturally understand that a doorway is whole, even though it is not included in the entire photo.

2023-03-27_0002.jpg

2023-03-27_0002b.jpg

Mirrors or other reflective surfaces offer natural borders to help surround your subjects.

2023-03-27_0003.jpg

Nature itself is a great way to add framing to an image, whether shooting through foliage or using trees and branches as framing elements.

2023-03-27_0005.jpg

2023-03-27_0005b.jpg

Pathways are another way to feature framing, and they often have the added benefit of leading lines, which we will cover more in depth in June.

2023-03-27_0006.jpg

Lastly, don’t overlook non-traditional elements for framing, like using part of the subject itself as the framing device. You can see in the following examples how some of the secondary elements in the images work to frame the main subject.

2023-03-27_0009.jpg

You might find that this week ends up heavy on center compositions. Although I would encourage you to try to find alternate compositions if possible, many framed images are naturally center comped because they offer a lot of symmetry and it makes for a stronger image. Use your best judgment for this, but don’t be afraid to center compose this week if it makes sense.

Last edited:

eliaz

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
Another great write-up and beautiful photos for reference. I've been slacking the past few weeks... I'm going to need to put in some time this week and makeup some of the work I've missed!

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2179646
White rose framed by the baby-breath or gypsophila

CC🌷
To me this seems more just layering. Yes, the baby's breath surrounds the rose, but typically with framing you'd have an opening of some sort, or in the last set of examples I posted, a defined edge of something framing something else. I like the idea of this, but I personally wouldn't categorize it as framing.

Would love to hear the opinions of others on this. 🙂 I'm always learning, too. ❤️

• Love
Reactions: bondr006 and katbel

_timo_redux_

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
New York City
FWIW I have a similar reaction. "Framing" is different than surrounding, or supporting or the like; it implies an edge. Something that's in the frame, or out of the frame -- sometimes a subset of the actual picture's frame made by the camera and its exposure.

The baby's breath reads more like a field, not an edge, and their juxtaposition is a layering.

Not to say it isn't a pleasant picture; but yeah, not a framing per se.

Reactions: katbel and mollyc

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Not classical framing as such but OTOH did not require me to do any more than step out the back door.
Olympus TG-6 camera. Just worked from the JPEG on this one, may boot into a slightly newer system later and see if I can improve things a bit by starting from the RAW file.
P3270050.jpg

Reworked version slightly tighter crop as as well. Can't claim working from RAW made any big improvement.
P3270050B.jpg

Last edited:

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
To me this seems more just layering. Yes, the baby's breath surrounds the rose, but typically with framing you'd have an opening of some sort, or in the last set of examples I posted, a defined edge of something framing something else. I like the idea of this, but I personally wouldn't categorize it as framing.

Would love to hear the opinions of others on this. 🙂 I'm always learning, too. ❤️

FWIW I have a similar reaction. "Framing" is different than surrounding, or supporting or the like; it implies an edge. Something that's in the frame, or out of the frame -- sometimes a subset of the actual picture's frame made by the camera and its exposure.

The baby's breath reads more like a field, not an edge, and their juxtaposition is a layering.

Not to say it isn't a pleasant picture; but yeah, not a framing per se.
Learning, thanks! I wasn't sure and now it's confirmed 🙂

• Love
Reactions: mollyc and bondr006

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Not classical framing as such but OTOH did not require me to do any more than step out the back door.
Olympus TG-6 camera. Just worked from the JPEG on this one, may boot into a slightly newer system later and see if I can improve things a bit by starting from the RAW file. View attachment 2179695

Reworked version slightly tighter crop as as well. Can't claim working from RAW made any big improvement.
View attachment 2179789

Just because it's a car window doesn't mean it isn't framing. 🙂 You've clearly used it as a reflection source and it has a strong border, so it counts for me. 🙂

Reactions: katbel

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016

So technically I think this does count as most of the swans are between the pier and the sign. I'd personally be inclinded to clone that sign out though as I find it distracting, and then of course you'd lose the framing aspect.

Now, if you go back to this location, I'd see if you could get a bird or two on the pier (there are already a couple on some of them) and then stand in front of it/them and use the pier itself as a framing mechanism. Of course, the birds might not like you getting out on the pier with them, or you'd need a longer lens (although you are quite close to the swans). But getting out on the pier would elminate some of the other clutter in the frame that pulls the story away from the birds.

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
So technically I think this does count as most of the swans are between the pier and the sign. I'd personally be inclinded to clone that sign out though as I find it distracting, and then of course you'd lose the framing aspect.

Now, if you go back to this location, I'd see if you could get a bird or two on the pier (there are already a couple on some of them) and then stand in front of it/them and use the pier itself as a framing mechanism. Of course, the birds might not like you getting out on the pier with them, or you'd need a longer lens (although you are quite close to the swans). But getting out on the pier would elminate some of the other clutter in the frame that pulls the story away from the birds.

I have to agree that the sign is a very noisy frame and does keep catching the eye, as does that bird up above. The photo does not illustrate what framing can do - indeed, it would seem to deliberately break lots of rules - as one might those written on that sign ;)

I will continue my search for a better example.

Reactions: bondr006

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
you are making me work for it this week!

but i can't think of a reason that ripples wouldn't count, given they are surrounding the duckie!
💖 I hope you are feeling better and have all your strength then ! 🙂
I'm trying to find frames but being between seasons the panorama still looks pretty bleak..

Reactions: bondr006
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.