Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
FramedRoses.jpeg

Another one, hopefully an easy one

P.s. Edited: I realized there was a weird cropped area and the vase was missing its bottom

Last edited:

Walhydra

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2023
Massachusetts
Rainy morning - Right kitchen view (3/28/2023).

Not classical framing as such but OTOH did not require me to do any more than step out the back door.
Olympus TG-6 camera. Just worked from the JPEG on this one, may boot into a slightly newer system later and see if I can improve things a bit by starting from the RAW file. View attachment 2179695

Reworked version slightly tighter crop as as well. Can't claim working from RAW made any big improvement.
View attachment 2179789
I actually like the first version more. I think the extra door frame on the left helps highlight the reflecting window.

Walhydra

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2023
Massachusetts
So technically I think this does count as most of the swans are between the pier and the sign. I'd personally be inclinded to clone that sign out though as I find it distracting, and then of course you'd lose the framing aspect.

Now, if you go back to this location, I'd see if you could get a bird or two on the pier (there are already a couple on some of them) and then stand in front of it/them and use the pier itself as a framing mechanism. Of course, the birds might not like you getting out on the pier with them, or you'd need a longer lens (although you are quite close to the swans). But getting out on the pier would elminate some of the other clutter in the frame that pulls the story away from the birds.
I like the sign being there, simply because the geese can easily ignore EVERY prohibition and do all those things. :)

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
💖 I hope you are feeling better and have all your strength then ! 🙂
I'm trying to find frames but being between seasons the panorama still looks pretty bleak..

View attachment 2180343

Another one, hopefully an easy one

P.s. Edited: I realized there was a weird cropped area and the vase was missing its bottom

You can find lots of framing opportunities inside. You can use doorways, window frames, cabinets, furniture, etc. I remember in one of the challenges you were using flowers against a door, and I wasn't sure it worked for whichever challenge you submitted it for, but something like that works here. Don't feel obligated to use an outside view if it doesn't work.

Is the blue frame image a composite?

Reactions: bondr006 and katbel

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Rainy morning from the kitchen window (3/28/2023).

View attachment 2180304

Sunny morning (3/29/2023).
View attachment 2180626

I like the idea of these; I think they'd be stronger compositions if you composed straight on to the window; it's kind of hard to see the "framing" aspect, other than that there are windows in the image. The first one works a bit better since you have a frame (the artwork) within a frame (the larger windows), but the second one to me seems more just like a view of a room, rather than an image composed with framing in mind. 🙂

Reactions: bondr006

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
One from my walk this morning; I was so focused on getting the angle right to capture the mayflower bud that it didn't even occur to me until I got to my computer that I was naturally working on framing it within the leaves.

Web_March_29_2023_001-2.jpg

I hope you all start to find some of these concepts just become ingrained over time and you naturally start looking for them when composing images. ❤️

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
You can find lots of framing opportunities inside. You can use doorways, window frames, cabinets, furniture, etc. I remember in one of the challenges you were using flowers against a door, and I wasn't sure it worked for whichever challenge you submitted it for, but something like that works here. Don't feel obligated to use an outside view if it doesn't work.

No, It’s on my balcony facing next door house . I put the vase on a tiny wall as you can see
Just before a privacy screen that doesn’t go all the way but did work for the purpose of framing that corner.
I thought light and shadows helped too
And it’s blue 😄

Reactions: bondr006 and mollyc

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I know why you thought it was a composite: I cleaned (Affinity photo)the bottom part because there were few spots and it needs to be painted and doing so the corner disappeared and looks clean but flat.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
I know why you thought it was a composite: I cleaned (Affinity photo)the bottom part because there were few spots and it needs to be painted and doing so the corner disappeared and looks clean but flat.

and the shadows outside seemed weird at the top right.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
One from my walk this morning; I was so focused on getting the angle right to capture the mayflower bud that it didn't even occur to me until I got to my computer that I was naturally working on framing it within the leaves.

View attachment 2180704

I hope you all start to find some of these concepts just become ingrained over time and you naturally start looking for them when composing images. ❤️
Thanks ! I have hard time to see the flower though

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I like this view alot. It is from the hill in Queens Park. An area of parkland in the southside suburbs of Glasgow. This particular angle was taken for the afternoon light in the Spire of the church framed by the tree branches each side.

I also liked this image of the Calatrava Column in Madrid where the column is bookended by Torres Inclinadas buildings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.