Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
I’ll match your rule-breaking post with another, this taken wayback in October 2008 with an iPhone of unknown number

View attachment 2181681
Yes, as with akash's this is an example of framing, but seriously, this whole project is to be done with new images. Akash had a question, coming into the middle of the project, but this is a "no archive photo" project, as stated as my one specific rule for the P52. As we covered earlier this week, I need new photos only.

Thanks for understanding. ❤️

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
I’ll match your rule-breaking post with another, this taken wayback in October 2008 with an iPhone of unknown number

View attachment 2181681
Apparently this was taken with an iPhone 3G, having a camera with 2Mb pixels. To be self-critical, the focus is not on the two figures (one also taking a photo) but on the cars nearby - I had not then learnt to focus with an iPhone, or was it then not possible?

Reactions: bondr006

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
In the first one, where was your framing intention? It's a pretty photo and I love the bridge and reflection, but not sure what exactly is the framed part overall.

I like the second one, I'd just make sure to watch your highlights as part of the path is blown.
Trees and lawn framing the pond, beside the bridge 🙂

I know ! It was very difficult to shoot: very strong light and dark shade.
Being raw I was able to adjust the exposure almost everywhere. What would you suggest in a similar situation ?

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
I know ! It was very difficult to shoot: very strong light and dark shade.
Being raw I was able to adjust the exposure almost everywhere. What would you suggest in a similar situation ?

I always spot meter, so I would have metered for that really bright patch to make sure that it wasn't blown, and then increased exposure in the shadow area in post. 🙂 You might introduce some noise, but most modern digital cameras can have exposure increased quite a bit before getting into really bad noise, and even then you can always reduce noise in other ways.

I personally would rather have a slightly noisy exposure with no major blown areas. That one spot in your image isn't very large, but it is really noticeable being right in the area of focus. The only blown stuff I don't really worry about are skies, because often that is just unavoidable.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Camelia through.jpeg

Camellia through Japanese sculpture

Last edited:

kendallm

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2021
Seattle, Wa
Missed a few weeks, but I am hoping to go back and do the 2 I missed. Here is a photo for the latest challenge.

I think this came out pretty good. Was considering cropping this in a bit to make the framing a bit smaller, but overall a decent composition I think.

ISO 100
F2.8

DSC00862 copy.jpeg

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
That will look even more beautiful in a few days when the blossoms explosion occurs.
Yes! I was hoping to get some blossom but not yet: it’s unusually too cold. Yesterday I was freezing because of the wind

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Missed a few weeks, but I am hoping to go back and do the 2 I missed. Here is a photo for the latest challenge.

I think this came out pretty good. Was considering cropping this in a bit to make the framing a bit smaller, but overall a decent composition I think.

ISO 100
F2.8

View attachment 2181818
yes, take me to the beach please!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.