Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Welcome to our P52! This project is designed to get you out with your camera once a week in a meaningful way. Each week I will post a prompt for you to consider. The prompts are merely suggestions, and you are free to shoot off topic if you wish. All images posted must be taken by you, be safe for work, and be taken with this project in mind. Please do not post archive photos. For a further discussion of the guidelines, please refer to this thread, and you can find the previous weeks linked there if you missed them. Feel free to join in at any time of the year, and you may go back to missed weeks if you still wish to participate.

Week 21: Rule of Thirds

main.jpg

Welcome back to the P52 for another week. We will be working on the rule of thirds (ROT) this week. This is a compositional technique designed to elevate your photos from a beginner look into something more deliberate and considered.

Those of us of a certain age probably used a lot of cameras that only focused from the center point; as we moved to digital photography, the center focal point was the most accurate, so people continued to use that one primarily. And now, many current cameras have over 400 focal points spread across the frame. How do you know which one to use?? It’s so much easier just to stick with the one in the middle!

On a basic level the rule of thirds divides the image into nine sections. Where the lines dividing each section intersect are considered to be strong areas for the subject of the frame. You do not have to have your subject lined up 100% exactly on the grids, but nearby in a deliberate fashion.

Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 9.22.41 AM.jpg

Horizon lines are best placed on a third line; whether it is the top or bottom third depends on how you want the story of your image to read and what you want your viewers to see within the image. Take these three images as an example. The first image is the SOOC crop; we had just gotten settled into our vacation house for the week, and I stepped out on the deck to take a couple of photos; I was not thinking about composition at the time, but just enjoying the view after a long trip in the car. The horizon line - where the water meets the sky is dead center. This leaves the viewer to wonder what the focus of the image is? The sky and clouds? The pier? The people on the beach? The story is very unclear and confusing. Cropping so the horizon is on the top third allows the story of the beachgoers to unfold. There is more visual weight at the bottom of the image, so our eye is drawn there and to all the colorful umbrellas. Cropping the image with the horizon line on the bottom third draws our eye directly to the pier, and the vast sky beyond. The story is very different. One could say that’s simply because we literally cropped out large portions of the image from the original, but that is actually the entire point of cropping - it strengthens our story and tells the viewer where to look and what is important within the frame.

2023-05-22_0007.jpg

2023-05-22_0006.jpg

Portraits, too, benefit from cropping to the ROT. Although many headshots seem to be centered, an image is considerably strengthened when the eyes are on the top ROT, even if it isn’t an intersection. Humans are naturally drawn to eyes, and much of the expression of a portrait is told from the eyes, regardless of the position of the mouth.

Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 9.31.29 AM.jpg

2023-05-22_0001.jpg

2023-05-22_0003.jpg

Putting the action on the ROT also strengthens your image. If there is a sense of movement within the image, place the subject facing the open area. Take this image of my son as an example. Although we cannot see his opponent, we can tell from his gaze and stance that the opponent is being tracked, and the open space in front of my son gives a sense of the ability to move through that space at a moment’s notice. Conversely, in the image of my daughter grooming the horse, she seems a bit hemmed in. The action is on the ROT, but there is a distinct feeling of unsettledness, with the open space behind the horse. This was intentional, however, as this horse is unpredictable and had to be tied in two spots, and the horse itself was uncomfortable with the procedure happening. The viewer is nervous for the equestrian, hoping she isn’t kicked. But with the horse foot and my daughter’s hand on the ROT, the viewer knows just where to look.

2023-05-22_0002.jpg

Nature images are similarly strengthened using a ROT, and while in general we should try to keep our subject on an intersection, just using one of the entire lines is enough to create some negative space or framing for our subject in a way that goes beyond dead center.

2023-05-22_0004.jpg

2023-05-22_0005.jpg

And while this week is about moving away from a full center composition, let’s touch on a couple of instances where a centered comp makes sense. If you are shooting family portraits for hire, many clients want and expect a centered composition. They make sense when grouped in a wall gallery, or for sending out on holiday cards. Clients often don’t understand the artistic reasons for using the ROT and object to “dead space.” Centering these types of images also helps afford you different crop ratios (4:5, 1:1, etc. without risking chopping off part of your subjects). If you have an image that is symmetrical, centering often works well. I’d still note, however, that even within a symmetrical image, you are often able to place the horizon on a third line, preventing a fully dead centered image.

Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 9.25.14 AM.jpg

Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 9.23.51 AM.jpg

I’ve given a pretty simplified overview of ROT here, but it is easily researched with some google terms, and here’s a well written article that is a bit longer than mine.

Photo_22.jpg

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I will give you my thoughts, but which do you prefer? What initially made you decide to center it?
Because there is nothing specific to attract your attention like colours etc.
There are just the shape and the details that tell the story of the little fern.
Using ROT the fern is kind of lost in the photo because of the greens of the background.

Now your thoughts , please

Reactions: mollyc

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Because there is nothing specific to attract your attention like colours etc.
There are just the shape and the details that tell the story of the little fern.
Using ROT the fern is kind of lost in the photo because of the greens of the background.

Now your thoughts , please

When we talk about composition, we have to look at what is both inside and outside of the frame. In a "good" composition, we want the viewer's eyes to move around the frame and then linger....the longer the viewer looks at the photo the better. No one wants to take the time to share a photo that someone just glances over and never really looks at.

There are a lot of "rules" in composition, like not cropping a human at a joint (it makes them look amputated); not letting a tree or pole emerge from the back of someone's head; leaving space around the subject to give them room to breathe. Sometimes, as in the case of my daughter and the horse image, it's okay to break or bend these rules, and while technically she is too close to the edge of the frame (she's not cropped, but she's really squished over there), it adds to the story of working with such a large and potentially dangerous animal. With my son's lacrosse image, although we cannot see his opponent, my son's gaze and concentration is quite clear, and the space surrounding him not only gives him room to move (potentially), it also contains his stick (which is sometimes difficult to capture all of since he plays long pole), and our eyes are led back to his eyes by the stick and reading the image left to right.

Now, your fern image of course is pretty tame by comparison, no risk of being trampled or chopped that we can see; you've left the entire furl in the image, with some of the stem. Your desire to focus on the details contained makes perfect sense.

That said, I prefer the ROT composition. When I look at the square one, my brain worries that when it does unfurl it isn't going to have enough room to do so. It feels trapped in a box to me in your initial crop. The ROT crop has just a bit more bottom stem, and the space on the right allows the fern space to curl downward and back up again as it opens up. Although there is technically not enough space at the top of the image for the frond to fully uncurl, we, the viewer, know that the unfurling process is not immediate, and having that open space allows for us to acknowledge the time it requires as well as the space to keep growing.

ffff14P

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2022
That said, I prefer the ROT composition. When I look at the square one, my brain worries that when it does unfurl it isn't going to have enough room to do so. It feels trapped in a box to me in your initial crop. The ROT crop has just a bit more bottom stem, and the space on the right allows the fern space to curl downward and back up again as it opens up. Although there is technically not enough space at the top of the image for the frond to fully uncurl, we, the viewer, know that the unfurling process is not immediate, and having that open space allows for us to acknowledge the time it requires as well as the space to keep growing.
Thank you for your extensive reply @mollyc. Your thoughts can be very educative for all of us!
However, as it is always the case with visual media, different eyes see things differently. In this case, I‘d actually prefer a square crop with a full centred composition with this particular photo. This leads to a very calm composition that fully guides the viewer‘s eye towards the unique shape of the spiral and doesn’t distract the viewer with too(?) much negative space on the left side.

@katbel as you can see, there is no right or wrong way of composing. It basically comes down to what you want the viewer to focus on.
And I really love this photograph! Thanks for sharing! 😊

• Love
Reactions: mollyc and katbel

_timo_redux_

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
New York City
As with @ffff14P , I prefer the initial square crop, which draws my eyes into the spiral: specifically the center of the spiral. "Unfurling about a point, which is the center point" might be the reasoning for a square crop.

BUT, if I were to experiment with @mollyc 's idea of unfurling, I'd place the fern somewhere in the lower right hand side of the crop, with actually enough room for the (future) unfurling. Maybe that'd be at a rule of thirds intersection, maybe not. Now I'm not sure if the implied unfurling would come through as the main idea ... some of that would depend on the background. Your current background is just bokeh-blur, so maybe a field of it with the sharp detail in one corner would be more puzzling than evocative.

But it's fun to think about.

Reactions: katbel and mollyc

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Thank you for your extensive reply @mollyc. Your thoughts can be very educative for all of us!
However, as it is always the case with visual media, different eyes see things differently. In this case, I‘d actually prefer a square crop with a full centred composition with this particular photo. This leads to a very calm composition that fully guides the viewer‘s eye towards the unique shape of the spiral and doesn’t distract the viewer with too(?) much negative space on the left side.

@katbel as you can see, there is no right or wrong way of composing. It basically comes down to what you want the viewer to focus on.
And I really love this photograph! Thanks for sharing! 😊

As with @ffff14P , I prefer the initial square crop, which draws my eyes into the spiral: specifically the center of the spiral. "Unfurling about a point, which is the center point" might be the reasoning for a square crop.

BUT, if I were to experiment with @mollyc 's idea of unfurling, I'd place the fern somewhere in the lower right hand side of the crop, with actually enough room for the (future) unfurling. Maybe that'd be at a rule of thirds intersection, maybe not. Now I'm not sure if the implied unfurling would come through as the main idea ... some of that would depend on the background. Your current background is just bokeh-blur, so maybe a field of it with the sharp detail in one corner would be more puzzling than evocative.

But it's fun to think about.

This is a pretty easy image to experiment with since the background is all blur. Content Aware crop takes care of filling everything in.

Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 6.58.44 PM.jpg

I still personally prefer the SOOC crop Katbel had with the horizontal orientation. This has the fern on the bottom third, but then it still feels like it doesn't have enough room to unfurl completely, as it would lean out the right side of the frame.

Lower left has more promise to me (would probably minimize some of the purple in the cloning in).

Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 7.05.59 PM.jpg

But again, yes, there are "rules" in photography that are grounded in art theory, but nothing is set in stone. If the square/center crop is really what Katbel thinks tells her story the best, then that's totally cool. 🙂

Last edited:

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
They are a little haunting and definitely sad. The posts indicate how many people on what date were transported to Auschwitz.
Your photos- very artistic too, would be perfect for an exposition shown to the world. Very educative for young generations to remember what happened and never forget

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I still personally prefer the SOOC crop Katbel had with the horizontal orientation. This has the fern on the bottom third, but then it still feels like it doesn't have enough room to unfurl completely, as it would lean out the right side of the frame.

Lower left has more promise to me (would probably minimize some of the purple in the cloning in).

But again, yes, there are "rule" in photography that are grounded in art theory, but nothing is set in stone. If the square/center crop is really what Katbel thinks tells her story the best, then that's totally cool. 🙂
I like your photos even if I'm not a fan of vertical ones. But they look good
The original is horizontal had more room on the top but it was off the grid and the fern was lost in the negative space. Probably a slightly different background.
Your current background is just bokeh-blur, so maybe a field of it with the sharp detail in one corner would be more puzzling than evocative.
This would have been a good idea, trying to remember it next time 🙂
there is no right or wrong way of composing. It basically comes down to what you want the viewer to focus on.
I agree , it's very personal but I like to learn more

Thanks to all of you for your inputs, a very interesting conversation!

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2206411 View attachment 2206414

Two from yesterday’s walk. The first with Athena in the lower right rule-of-thirds intersection; the second more unusual for me, with the stalks making vertical thirds.

I didn’t shoot the latter photo specifically with the rule of third in mind, but was pleasantly surprised when I overlaid a grid.
I find once you start shooting with ROT in mind, your compositions tend to naturally drift there. I personally don't always ROT comp in camera because I have various lenses and (film) cameras that focus just from the center, but it is something I often think about naturally.

Reactions: _timo_redux_
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.