Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
The sidewalk doesn't inherently bother me (I like the shadows on it), but it does cause the water line to hit the center of the image.
Is the water line more important than the field/grass line?
I thought , having the grass line on the ROT , it was ok
And because the symmetry of the sidewalk, bike lane and field lines the ocean was still aligned with all of them
How do you decide what is more important?

Reactions: mollyc

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
P52 May 26 - 1.jpeg

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016

This little guy was posing nicely for me while I was kicking about with the camera while waiting for my nephew to finish football (soccer) practice.
very respectful to pose for you!

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Is the water line more important than the field/grass line?
I thought , having the grass line on the ROT , it was ok
And because the symmetry of the sidewalk, bike lane and field lines the ocean was still aligned with all of them
How do you decide what is more important?
You the photographer have to decide what it more important!

I would say that the water line is the horizon, not the sidewalk. In some instances, you might have to use a manmade reference point but this image has a natural horizon. And as much as I like the shadows on the sidewalk, I would actually probably crop the sidewalk out as it visually competes with the (what I assume you wanted to be) the intended subject(s). By cropping out the sidewalk, you are left with some lovely framing and a complete focus on just the guitar player who is seemingly playing to the boat traffic, lost in his own world. I think this is a more cohesive story and overall image. The man and the boats both lean towards each other, giving us a nice viewing line for our eyes to travel.

P52 May 24 - 1 (1)-2 copy.jpg

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
You the photographer have to decide what it more important!

I would say that the water line is the horizon, not the sidewalk. In some instances, you might have to use a manmade reference point but this image has a natural horizon. And as much as I like the shadows on the sidewalk, I would actually probably crop the sidewalk out as it visually competes with the (what I assume you wanted to be) the intended subject(s). By cropping out the sidewalk, you are left with some lovely framing and a complete focus on just the guitar player who is seemingly playing to the boat traffic, lost in his own world. I think this is a more cohesive story and overall image. The man and the boats both lean towards each other, giving us a nice viewing line for our eyes to travel.
This was my first idea then I wanted to get a little deeper and use your knowledge but because I read about the symmetry I thought that maybe that photo had something to prove ...LOL
Thanks for your input!

• Love
Reactions: mollyc

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
Sorry, I thought I did, but I removed my photo, and I will henceforth leave these challenges to the professionals and forum veterans.
Well that is a shame.... as I said the photo was great I was just wondering where you saw the ROT in it? I was not implying that you should not be posting your photos?!

On that note, I do think that we all understand, or will have to realize, that when posting your work to a larger audience that we are going to receive criticism. Even though in this instance I was not trying to be critical I was simple wondering because I did not see any obvious rot.

It is probably also a good reminder that when reading comments online you can not hear and see the intonation or expression of the commentor and so it is always best to assume the BEST and not the worst in someone's comment.

Last edited:
Reactions: _timo_redux_

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Well that is a shame.... as I said the photo was great I was just wondering where you saw the ROT in it? I was not implying that you should not be posting your photos?!

On that not I do think that we all understand, or will have to realize, that when posting your work to a larger audience that we are going to receive criticism. Even though in this instance I was not trying to be critical I was simple wondering because I did not see any obvious rot.

It is probably also a good reminder that when reading comments online you can not hear and see the intonation or expression of the commenter and so it is always best to assume the BEST and not the worst in someone's comment.

Actually, in the initial P52 setup post/thread, it is stated that CC should not be given unless explicitly asked for. There have been more than a handful of instances in this forum over the years of people receiving unsolicited CC and it not going over well, as evidenced above.

Welcome to our P52! The goal of this project is to get you out with your camera once a week and to advance your photography techniques. All skill levels and cameras are welcome, but if you have a real camera, I highly recommend that you use that over a phone. That said, the best camera is the one you have with you, so use whatever you have available.

I have some guidelines for everyone, but only a couple of hard and fast rules.

The rules are as follows:

1. All work must be your own.
  2. All images must be safe for work.
  3. All images must be taken between December 26, 2022 and December 31, 2023 (ideally starting on January 1, 2023, but I know some people like to plan ahead).
  4. Do not critique someone’s image or use them as a reference, unless they have requested CC (constructive criticism). If you have a question, please tag me and I will help you. Positive comments are always welcomed.
  5. You may ask for CC if you wish; please mark your photo explicitly if you’d like people to critique.

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
Actually, in the initial P52 setup post/thread, it is stated that CC should not be given unless explicitly asked for. There have been more than a handful of instances in this forum over the years of people receiving unsolicited CC and it not going over well, as evidenced above.
As I indicated I was not stating any criticism of the photo and I obviously thought it might have been intended for a different thread (as has happened in other photo threads). I do think we can all be a little less quick at judging someone's intention when saying something.

I'm part of the photo threads because I think it is super interesting to see what people make and take and how they look at the world and the use of photography... and I'm very sorry that AlixSPQR felt the need to remove the photo.

But I'll leave this because I do think discussions on photo work are a good way at getting better at taking photos.

Reactions: arkitect and mollyc

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
As I indicated I was not stating any criticism of the photo and I obviously thought it might have been intended for a different thread (as has happened in other photo threads). I do think we can all be a little less quick at judging someone's intention when saying something.

I'm part of the photo threads because I think it is super interesting to see what people make and take and how they look at the world and the use of photography... and I'm very sorry that AlixSPQR felt the need to remove the photo.

But I'll leave this because I do think discussions on photo work are a good way at getting better at taking photos.
I agree that cc and discussion makes a photographer stronger. I would not be where I am today without seeking advice of those more experienced than I am. But we have to keep in mind that everyone is on their own journey here and as a forum that is tech based and not photography based, some people aren’t accustomed to comments that aren’t uber positive.

Being able to ask and receive cc with an open mind takes a certain mindset. While your comment wasn’t critical, it clearly was unexpected to Alix, and I hope he comes back with his photo again.

And I also wholeheartedly agree that I love seeing everyone’s interpretations each week. I am continually amazed.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Sorry, I thought I did, but I removed my photo, and I will henceforth leave these challenges to the professionals and forum veterans.
Please don't go, I'm not a professional but a student learning from the best 🙂
I bought my first camera 2 years ago and new to the forum as well.
I was so thrilled to be accepted by everyone and to find a really lovely atmosphere

ffff14P

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2022
This is an interesting image because it is cropped on third lines, and yet my brain reads it more as center comp because of the symmetry.

It's fun when you all sneak these out of the box images for me!
Thanks for your feedback. I do agree with you that it is not a usual rule of thirds image and it feels like a center comp (and in a way it is), but if you pay close attention, the ball of fire in the background ist also positioned on the lower thirds line

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.