Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Hi y'all! Thanks for sharing all your thoughts and pics here. This thread is a really good read for a beginner photographer like me. I think I might have some pictures in my collection that fit the rule of the thirds.
View attachment 2206910

View attachment 2206911
Welcome to our project! These are great photos. Please note going forward that images must be new each week (or at least shot with the intention of the theme if you work ahead a bit as some people do). We are working on our skills as we go and refraining from using archive photos. I do love that second photo, though.

Reactions: tragicwinding

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Was at one time, now a rather interesting bed and breakfast.
Oh, I wondered if had been converted (due to the paint job and all) but I noticed it still had crosses affixed to the roof. And a lot of churches are using more modern ways to attract members, so wasn't sure!

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
P52 May 24 - 1 (2).jpeg
P52 May 24 - 1.jpeg

It has been a while I wanted to stop in this little park on the ocean. Today it worked
It was difficult to get the first tree straight but I liked the guy with the guitar and gave him the priority.

CC welcome 🌷

Cropped the 1st photo as suggested by @mollyc

Last edited:

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2207289 View attachment 2207288
It has been a while I wanted to stop in this little park on the ocean. Today it worked
It was difficult to get the first tree straight but I liked the guy with the guitar and gave him the priority.

CC welcome 🌷

Is there a reason you cropped the first one as a panorama? To be honest, my eye went straight to the boat, which isn't on a ROT, and I totally missed the guitar guy. But, if you crop it 3:2, you get both the boat and the guy on respective ROT lines. I find this a much stronger composition, as the eye naturally drifts between the two and hold my attention longer. I also wouldn't worry at all about keeping the tree straight. Trees often don't grow straight and are not good reference points. The water line and house should be straight in their respective directions, which they are.

P52 May 24 - 1 (1) copy.jpg

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Is there a reason you cropped the first one as a panorama? To be honest, my eye went straight to the boat, which isn't on a ROT, and I totally missed the guitar guy. But, if you crop it 3:2, you get both the boat and the guy on respective ROT lines. I find this a much stronger composition, as the eye naturally drifts between the two and hold my attention longer. I also wouldn't worry at all about keeping the tree straight. Trees often don't grow straight and are not good reference points. The water line and house should be straight in their respective directions, which they are.
Yes, you are right, I didn't consider the boat at all!
I took a panorama to have more to crop in case. It's a such a serene place , I wanted to bring it all with me
Thanks for your considerations, as usual very precious 🙂

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
P52 May 24 - 1 (1).jpeg

This is a different one *not a panorama, the boats are more visibile but I don't know if there is too much of the sidewalk . It has some horizontal symmetry with the lines of sidewalk, field and ocean
Dangerous to shoot, because I was standing on the bike lane. The guy playing the guitar is alive 🙃
even if he's always in the same position.

tragicwinding

Suspended
May 23, 2023
Welcome to our project! These are great photos. Please note going forward that images must be new each week (or at least shot with the intention of the theme if you work ahead a bit as some people do). We are working on our skills as we go and refraining from using archive photos. I do love that second photo, though.
Thanks for welcoming me! Sure, I will take that into account and will try to take more new photos :) Hope that being a part of the project will help me learn to take better pics

• Love
Reactions: mollyc

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2207312
This is a different one *not a panorama, the boats are more visibile but I don't know if there is too much of the sidewalk . It has some horizontal symmetry with the lines of sidewalk, field and ocean
Dangerous to shoot, because I was standing on the bike lane. The guy playing the guitar is alive 🙃
even if he's always in the same position.
The sidewalk doesn't inherently bother me (I like the shadows on it), but it does cause the water line to hit the center of the image.

Reactions: katbel

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Such a pretty rhodi!
It is!!! Originally I'd intended to concentrate on the jigsaw work on the porch but got distracted by the flowers . The house (it's attached to the Presby Iris Garden )is from the mid 1800's IIRC . Wonder how old the rhodi is?

Reactions: mollyc

JAWJr

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
Oregon, USA
You’re right I was a bit off the grid.
Was trying to have the subject in the bottom left third with the mountains cascading down to the right third.
Thank you for the suggestion-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.