Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
I agree that cc and discussion makes a photographer stronger. I would not be where I am today without seeking advice of those more experienced than I am. But we have to keep in mind that everyone is on their own journey here and as a forum that is tech based and not photography based, some people aren’t accustomed to comments that aren’t uber positive.

Being able to ask and receive cc with an open mind takes a certain mindset. While your comment wasn’t critical, it clearly was unexpected to Alix, and I hope he comes back with his photo again.

And I also wholeheartedly agree that I love seeing everyone’s interpretations each week. I am continually amazed.
Clearly I have no desire to make anyone feel uncomfortable but I also have no desire to feel like I can't say something.

I find it interesting that you can critique people's work but nobody else can? This to me seems very odd and is the reason I won't participate since I'm not really understanding why and how that really works if there is only one person that is allowed to have an opinion.

So kudos for starting this thread since I think all photo enthusiasts can learn from others.

Reactions: arkitect and mollyc

cogi0490

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Germany
Delayed upload of my favourites for this weeks challenge. Took them on 27.05 🤓Sky on the second image is unfortunately burnt out, but wanted to test also the lowlight quality of my new camera and need to get used to everything again ☺️

DSC03717.jpeg
DSC03704.jpeg

CC always welcome.

Last edited:

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Clearly I have no desire to make anyone feel uncomfortable but I also have no desire to feel like I can't say something.

I find it interesting that you can critique people's work but nobody else can? This to me seems very odd and is the reason I won't participate since I'm not really understanding why and how that really works if there is only one person that is allowed to have an opinion.

So kudos for starting this thread since I think all photo enthusiasts can learn from others.

I do comment on every photo. I do not critique every photo. There are often images that I'd like to critique, but since the poster hasn't asked for it, I refrain. I try to say something positive about every image (or post at least, sometimes people put in multiple images per post) to acknowledge participation.

Also, we are five months into this project. At this point I know that there are a couple of people who specifically want CC with their images. Katbel even now has it included in her signature. She has really embraced the give and take of CC, so I am often more direct with her. I am building relationships in this project with our members and I have a good read as to who wants something more than "nice photo." And if someone doesn't want more than that, then I'll comment on the colors, or the mood, or the location in a positive manner.

Am I perfect? Do I give CC when it isn't asked? I'm sure that I've done so once or twice. But the thing about CC is that it is "constructive criticism." You have to give actionable advice with your comment. Saying, however well intentioned, this doesn't seem to fit ROT doesn't help unless you give a visual on how you would crop to ROT.

You are right, as I look back through this thread, I did offer JAWJr advice when it wasn't specifically asked for. For that I apologize to @JAWJr. But, as I did so, I didn't just say, "hey, your image doesn't fit ROT. Take a look at it again." I posted two options for him (and anyone else reading along) that are constructive ways to get his image to fit the theme.

I would love for you to continue particpating. ❤️ I've been an active member of this photo forum since 2016. I've seen a lot of people come and go. I've seen some people be offended by seemingly innocuous statements and never come back. I've also seen a lot of comments about wanting to have a more serious line of discussion about photograhpy here at MR, and no one was willing to step up. So I created this project for the year, and it's a lot of work. But at the end of the day/week/month/project, I want everyone to feel like this is a safe space to share, even if they are just using a phone for their photos. If people want what we used to call HHCC (hard hat constructive criticism) 15 years ago, where you know you are going to get ripped to shreds but you are willing to hear the bad and the good....well, MR is not the place for that.

I really just want people to feel better about their skils and techniques, whether they have been shooting for one year or 50 and whether they use the latest camera or a phone or a dodgy P&S. I honestly welcome all abilities for this project and I do not want people run off because they feel like they are doing something wrong. Not everyone is ready for CC. Some people just want to share their work, and that is okay. I can find something positive in every photo.

And while your comment was not malicious or even rude, it obviously caught @AlixSPQR off guard. I really hope he comes back and shares again.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
I find it interesting that you can critique people's work but nobody else can?
I had a couple of other thoughts out on my walk today. It's not that only I am allowed to critique people's work in this thread. It's that only some people want critique. If a post is marked CC welcomed, then anyone else in the thread can offer suggestions, not just me. And I welcome other opinions! I do not profess to be the know it all here at all....I just happened to be the one to spearhead this project. But there are at least two participants in this thread alone who have marked their images as open to CC, so if you'd like to offer comments on them, please do so. 🙂

On that note, I do think that we all understand, or will have to realize, that when posting your work to a larger audience that we are going to receive criticism.

Also, I strongly disagree with this statement. Personally, I know others feel similarly to you and think that photographers should just grow a thicker skin. Also, personally, over the years, I have asked for a lot of CC and really see the value of it. But to me, saying because someone posted a photo publicly that it's open to critique is like saying because someone went to a store in public you can critique their wardrobe choice. Some people just want to share their photos for the sake of sharing their photos, even when there is a theme or "lesson" like this project.

But again, I hope you continue along with the project as I enjoy seeing your work and look forward to reading your comments for those who ask for them. ❤️

cogi0490

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Germany
What pretty locations! What new camera did you get?
Sony Alpha 7 IV with a Sigma 24-70 2.8. Quite good „Welcome to Alpha“ offers/discounts in Germany and since I am arguing with mostly myself and my wife for so long about pros and cons of fullframes (which led to a very annoyed pregnant wife) I now had to buy one 😅

• Love
Reactions: mollyc

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Sony Alpha 7 IV with a Sigma 24-70 2.8. Quite good „Welcome to Alpha“ offers/discounts in Germany and since I am arguing with mostly myself and my wife for so long about pros and cons of fullframes (which led to a very annoyed pregnant wife) I now had to buy one 😅
Congratulations! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

• Love
Reactions: cogi0490

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
L1003068 1.jpg

I'm sitting on a pile of vacation shots from the UK and this is really the only one that I took specifically with last week's theme in mind. It didn't turn out as I wanted, but that's OK. The idea that I had was to use the out-of-focus areas on the right to draw the viewer into the structure of the formal landscape hedging with the house in the background to provide some depth and scale. I wanted the focus to be sharp towards the area a third in from the right and lead the viewer through. Distance focus isn't what I wanted and compositionally, I don't feel there's enough context of what we're looking at here. I was too intent on the "thirds" part and not the composition. :)

I should add to the discussion on critique. Feel free to critique anything I post always. I'm literally here to learn from anyone who cares to provide insight into what I can do better, an understanding of what you would have done either compositionally or in post processing and so forth. We all benefit from experience (not just veterans but new folks too) and perspective. In my day job in software and product architecture, I'm at the receiving end of darts being thrown all the time. What I tell my development teams is "I'm OK with the darts, just have a solution tacked to the needle". In other words, it's OK to not like something for whatever reason, just let me know what you'd do and how you'd approach things. It's that exchange of information that's the critical piece. Not the hearts or thumbs up/down, whether software or image making. As has been said, written critique can be difficult because we miss the nuance of tone, intent and body language. But we have to live with that as best we can.

I'll post an image that I like better, that wasn't taken with the "thirds" intent in a separate post.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
Please repost your image! These challenges are for everyone, regardless of experience. The whole point is to try something new. ❤️
Thank you, I reposted it. I've been away for some time, haven't had time until now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.