Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Welcome to our P52! This project is designed to get you out with your camera once a week in a meaningful way. Each week I will post a prompt for you to consider. The prompts are merely suggestions, and you are free to shoot off topic if you wish. All images posted must be taken by you, be safe for work and be taken with this project in mind. Please do not post archive photos. For a further discussion of the guidelines, please refer to this thread, and you can find the previous weeks linked there if you missed them.

Week 3: Water

A switch from a technique this week, into something purely creative - your take on water. When choosing non-technique themes for this project I tried to be overly broad so that no one would feel stifled by something narrow and hard to find.

Water is literally everywhere around us, and one of the elements needed for life. There are many ways to photograph water, and I am excited to see everyone’s take on this subject.

Following are a number of examples with different water concepts; the first one I took with this theme in mind and for this project.

2023_January_50S20651.jpg

If you are lucky enough to live near a beach or other large body of water, you are in luck this week! Beach images are some of my favorites, but not practical for me on an everyday basis, unfortunately. Still, many parks have a stream or lake that will work for this week.

2022_April_Z62_5482.jpg

2020_July_7704_Z6-Edit.jpg

2020_July_7360_Z6.jpg

You can also think about using a long shutter speed if you are near a water source that moves, although this is not a requirement in any
way for this challenge.

2021_July_Z62_1602.jpg

Live in the colder climes? Snow is made of water, as well as ice and frost.

2017_December_5182_D800.jpg

2018_January_7763_D700.jpg

And don’t forget to look up; rainbows and clouds are also water based and a great alternative to water on the ground.

Roll _8_F100_2022_Image_17.jpg

2022_April_Z62_5483.jpg

But you don’t even need to go outside for this theme if you don’t want to or are unable. Flowers sprayed with water drops (or recently watered/rained on) are excellent subjects, as well as water drop refractions.

2022_April_Z62_5143.jpg

DSC_3048-Edit.jpg

2019_March_2833_D800.jpg

You can set up near a sink to capture running water, or use rain/shower drops on a window as an abstract image.

2014_September_8754_D800-Edit.jpg

2018_November_0598_D800.jpg

2019_July_3961_D800.jpg

One thing I would love people to think about as they tackle this project throughout the year is how to incorporate each week’s theme using their own voice and to create images that look cohesive within your own body of work. Having a look or style is important as we grow in our photography skills; we all see the world differently and use different tools to capture our images; when you set out with each week’s theme, think about how to use it in a way that viewers can identify your images as your own. Some weeks will be easier to do this and will resonate more with your voice. But I believe it is an important skill to be able to approach any location or setup and create images from the heart, even if the situation isn’t what you would normally choose. Creating images that work within your voice and vision should always be at the forefront of your process.

Last edited:

PhilBoogie

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2014
D7K_0653.jpg

Live and learn. I mean, shoot and learn ;-)

Model: NIKON D7000
Lens Model: AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED [II]
Exposure Program: Manual
Exposure Time: 5s
FNumber: 5,6
Focal Length: 135
Focal Length In 35mm Film: 202
Photographic Sensitivity (ISO): 800
White Balance: Auto white balance
Light source: waxine in bathtub, bottle on the rim, lights off, closed door, remotely fired, no cap on VF (don't think that matters with a 5 second exposure)

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2142990

Live and learn. I mean, shoot and learn ;-)

Model: NIKON D7000
Lens Model: AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED [II]
Exposure Program: Manual
Exposure Time: 5s
FNumber: 5,6
Focal Length: 135
Focal Length In 35mm Film: 202
Photographic Sensitivity (ISO): 800
White Balance: Auto white balance
Light source: waxine in bathtub, bottle on the rim, lights off, closed door, remotely fired, no cap on VF (don't think that matters with a 5 second exposure)
a clever take on this theme! I can see the water line, but it's more the text of "water" that draws me in. thanks for playing along for another week!

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Well, I have a pic of the pier at Topsail Island in North Carolina, like the OP, so I will share that. Plus some birds in a pond in Amsterdam we saw this past December.
Thanks for participating, but for this project, images should be new, not from the archives. 🙂 Would love to see if you have any images from this week to share.

Reactions: AppleKarma

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
.. as a desktop photo or wallpaper .. laptop desktop photo changed yesterday to mark "water week" (one of my photos from Manning Park, BC).

View attachment 2143596
well, your image is new, so I guess it qualifies, but only by a technicality. 😉 The idea is to shoot a new image for the week.....you are techincally using an old image 🤷🏼‍♀️ But since you did post a new photo above, I'll allow it.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
the blue ice cubes are fun. i like that you are continuing to work on last week's theme here a bit as well. 🙂
Yes , trying to keep in mind what I’m learning.
I was dropping water on the countertop to get more water reflections. The carafe I used seems almost made of metal but it’s glass : the light coming through did the effect.
Yesterday I left the exif in the photos but didn’t write it below. I will for the next photos.

• Love
Reactions: mollyc

PhilBoogie

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2014
I wanted to create a photo with ice cubes, but after katbel completely obliterated my thoughts with a stunning picture by her 😉 I....went to the beach. I simply had to post something better than my crap one from yesterday. And much more water as well hehe.

D7K_0692.jpg

edit: somehow I like this one from my iPhone better: #1,384

Last edited:

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I wanted to create a photo with ice cubes, but after katbel completely obliterated my thoughts with a stunning picture by her 😉 I....went to the beach. I simply had to post something better than my crap one from yesterday. And much more water as well hehe.

View attachment 2143748
💗
sorry…did you have the same ice cubes? I’m sure you can still do it!

Last edited:

Walhydra

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2023
Massachusetts
Queries: How are some people getting their images to display full size rather than attachments?
How can I delete something I've posted? Thanks.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Queries: How are some people getting their images to display full size rather than attachments?
How can I delete something I've posted? Thanks.
After you drop your photo, You should click on “post” on the tiny image you see
To delete or change you can still click on Edit under your post and erase what you need to erase. The post will not go away completely but you can still write something like Deleted or similar

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.