Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kendallm

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2021
Seattle, Wa
Two compositions of the same picture, I prefer the second one, but not a huge fan of either. I think this may have been better if I captured the car as well, but I didn't want to put a neighbors license plate online.

I am just starting out and I am not very good at composing images ATM. Any feedback would be appreciated.

f2.8
ISO 200
Shutter speed 1/200 sec

macrumors2.jpg

DSC07625.jpg

Last edited:

PhilBoogie

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2014
💗
sorry…did you have the same ice cubes? I’m sure you can still do it!
Oh dear heavens no. Nothing like your photo; I simply was thinking of putting some (non-coloured!) ice cubes on the kitchen counter, spray some water over them, and get creative with a flash. But I'm terrible at flash photography. Which is probably why I should try, since this is a learning project...

Love your photo!

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
I wanted to create a photo with ice cubes, but after katbel completely obliterated my thoughts with a stunning picture by her 😉 I....went to the beach. I simply had to post something better than my crap one from yesterday. And much more water as well hehe.

View attachment 2143748

edit: somehow I like this one from my iPhone better: #1,384
Thanks for going out for a "real" photo! I think the quality of this one is better than your iPhone one, but the phone one has a bit more visual interest since it's wide angle. Did you take a camera version also facing the ferris wheel? It would be a better comparison I think. 🙂

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Detective work, at home, Worcester, MA.

Melt runoff, parking lot, Elm Park District, Worcester, MA.

Queries: How are some people getting their images to display full size rather than attachments?
How can I delete something I've posted? Thanks.

Thanks for contributing!

As katbel said, after you attach your image, click on the thumbnail and choose "Full Size." You can attach multiple images to one post. 🙂

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
A "creative" interpretation of the theme. I have a water cooler on my PC. Tossed a gif of a body of water on top of my water cooler. Will also post a more literal interpretation of this theme in another post.

f2.8
ISO 100
Shutter: 1/13 sec
View attachment 2143866

Not quite sure about the gif part - I assume that's the oval window bit? are the blue rings at the top the water cooler?

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016

¡Ay Mariba! by Howard Elam, on Flickr

Canon EOS R5 24.0 - 70.0 mm ƒ/8.0 61.0 mm 1/1600 8000

CC

I'll also be posting the image straight out of the camera each week to my flickr (don't want to clutter up here) if anyone has any suggestions or tips or comments about the before and after.

I like the peacefulness of this image. As with your shallow DOF image, I personally think this could be brightened a bit and prefer your SOOC, but your edit does give a nice blue hour feel. 🙂

Reactions: catfish743

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
DSC07625 copy.jpg
DSC07625 copy.jpg
Two compositions of the same picture, I prefer the second one, but not a huge fan of either. I think this may have been better if I captured the car as well, but I didn't want to put a neighbors license plate online.

I am just starting out and I am not very good at composing images ATM. Any feedback would be appreciated.

f2.8
ISO 200
Shutter speed 1/200 sec
I really like the idea you have here with the reflection and also the leading line of the curb. I do wonder if this would be stronger as a vertical orientation; that way we would see some of the car as well. Alternatively, I'd crop off the top portion so that only the reflection is in the final image; the hint of the car plus the puddle makes it difficult for me to find a resting spot for my eyes.

I would try something like this.

DSC07625 copy.jpg

Reactions: Janichsan

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
This is the run off water raging into and beyond the banks of our little stream. Taken from our living room window.
View attachment 2143906
I've seen a few of your stream images over the past few days. It's amazing you live so close to that river - does it go under your house? These are really interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: AppleKarma

Snowlover

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2018
Alpine , CA
I've seen a few of your stream images over the past few days. It's amazing you live so close to that river - does it go under your house? These are really interesting. Thanks for sharing!
It did go under this time it flooded, but no damage as house is raised with a 1- 2 foot crawl space underneath. Probably shouldn't have been built so close to the stream, but it is small and seasonal and this rarely happens. This storm caused major flooding all over San Diego.

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Lifesaving water. Manatees have the temperature tolerance of humans and cannot survive in near freezing waters. While their food source may be in the river they crown into the spring run for warmth. This is a natural spring discharging over 100 million gallons of crystal clear fresh water per day from the underground aquifer at a constant year round temperature of 72 degrees. Fish like it too, and the Tarpon are 140 miles from where the St Johns River discharges into the Atlantic Ocean.

Today wasn't as cold as over the weekend, in the lower 50's vs mid 30's and today's official count was 592 manatee. The weekend had counts in the 700's but there is no way I was going to battle crowds. It is in a State park and not unusual for the park to "close" around 10AM when full, then one in, one out with traffic backup on access road waiting admission.
Manatee Jan 2023-2500px-12.jpg

Manatee Jan 2023-2500px-19.jpg

Tarpon
Manatee Jan 2023-2500px-25.jpg

Manatee over the spring opening. The opening of the spring is about 10' under the waterline and extends hundreds of feet down.
Manatee Jan 2023-2500px-28.jpg
Manatee Jan 2023-2500px-17.jpg

Last edited:

kendallm

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2021
Seattle, Wa
I really like the idea you have here with the reflection and also the leading line of the curb. I do wonder if this would be stronger as a vertical orientation; that way we would see some of the car as well. Alternatively, I'd crop off the top portion so that only the reflection is in the final image; the hint of the car plus the puddle makes it difficult for me to find a resting spot for my eyes.

I would try something like this.

View attachment 2144174
This tiny edit made this look a lot better! Thanks for the idea!

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Lifesaving water. Manatees have the temperature tolerance of humans and cannot survive in near freezing waters. While their food source may be in the river they crown into the spring run for warmth. This is a natural spring discharging over 100 million gallons of crystal clear fresh water per day from the underground aquifer at a constant year round temperature of 72 degrees. Fish like it too, and the Tarpon are 140 miles from where the St Johns River discharges into the Atlantic Ocean.

Today wasn't as cold as over the weekend, in the lower 50's vs mid 30's and today's official count was 592 manatee. The weekend had counts in the 700's but there is no way I was going to battle crowds. It is in a State park and not unusual for the park to "close" around 10AM when full, then one in, one out with traffic backup on access road waiting admission.
View attachment 2144284

View attachment 2144283

Tarpon View attachment 2144282
Manatee over the spring opening. The opening of the spring is about 10' under the waterline and extends hundreds of feet down. View attachment 2144286 View attachment 2144290
Manatees are so fun! I've only seen them once, but was amazed at how close they will come to docks/shores/humans.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.