Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmnesiacOpera

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2004
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't nearly every update to 10.3 supposedly included updates to graphics performance?

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
Macrumors said:
AppleInsider reports that Apple released a build of Mac OS X 10.3.8 to developers today.

Great!!! ;) No complaints about updates! (As long as they don't break anything, or slow anything down :rolleyes: )

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
I guess this means we're getting closer to a Tiger release date. Didn't Apple release 10.2.9 days before the announcement of Panther's release date?

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Bern said:
I guess this means we're getting closer to a Tiger release date. Didn't Apple release 10.2.9 days before the announcement of Panther's release date?

I thought we only got to 10.2.8?

Hob

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
to this day, i have yet to get ichat voice or video to work over a broadband connectiong between two towns?!?!

that sucks...

it works if i am in the same house, or heck, the same town... but outside that, no hope... maybe an ISP problem? I don't know! hopefully tiger will fix it.\

PS. Skype works great!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
iChan said:
to this day, i have yet to get ichat voice or video to work over a broadband connectiong between two towns?!?!

that sucks...

it works if i am in the same house, or heck, the same town... but outside that, no hope... maybe an ISP problem? I don't know! hopefully tiger will fix it.\

PS. Skype works great!

that is weird, i have had no problem video or voice chatting with people hundreds of miles away (Northern IL to Orlando, FL). perhaps it is an ISP problem, is this one one particular user or if the same user is closer there are no problems? perhaps its an issue on thier end.

On Topic:

im glad to see Panther getting to .8, i wonder if it will go to .9 by Tiger and i wonder if they only reason for these releases will be to stable out the OS so it can remain without updates like Jaguar ( i hope that made sense)

Bob Knob

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
iChan said:

Really?
I've been iChatting (voice and video) between here (So Cal) and Japan (and just last month China) since I got my iSight when it first came out. There might be a bad node/router somewhere between your office and your house.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
I wonder if "improves stability" is actually in the developers notes or AppleInsider are making that up. Same with the graphics drivers, Apple have updated them with every single point release so it's a safe bet to say it will bring updated graphics drivers.

AppleMatt

ClimbingTheLog

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2003
Surely you jest

swissmann said:
Overall stability would be good but please not at the expense of the speed.

Are you kidding? You want a fast computer that crashes? No thanks. I'll take 5% off the top for a rock-solid machine any day.

BeigeUser

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
iChan said:

I ichat video across the pacific on a weekly basis. If it works in town but not outside then there is a problem on the other end. The other persons ISP either has a firewall that blocks a crucial port or the other persons connection is too slow. But since voice doesn't work, I'm thinking that it's probably the firewall.

Here's a few documents that may or may not help you:

http://search.info.apple.com/index.html?q=ichat av firewall&lr=lang_en&search=Go

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Flying Llama said:
why is this on page 2?
It went to Page 2 because there was little detail, no confirmation, and it was likely to be of lesser importance to most visitors than stories on Page 1.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I smell a Tiger... Jaguar only went to 10.2.8, I just hope Apple isn't rushing things too much. I still get the occasional kernel panic and spinning wheel of death. But, I do want Tiger ASAP so I can do a fresh install on my PowerBook...I don't think I'll do it on the iBook, it won't know how to handle it, haha. :D :cool:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Even after Tiger is released, I expect to see Panther 10.3.9, 10.3.10, etc., probably including some security updates.

ALoLA

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2003
Greater Los Angeles Area
iChan said:

that sucks...

I iChat with a friend in Chicago all the time. That's across two time zones with no problems. We've also tried Skype, but that's audio only. :)

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
Doctor Q said:
Even after Tiger is released, I expect to see Panther 10.3.9, 10.3.10, etc., probably including some security updates.

Wouldn't that be a change in Apple's policy, didn't they stop development (except for security fixes) of old Mac OS X versions after the release of a new one?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I'm still on 10.3.4 at work and at home.

Spending time on this site has made me far warier about updates esp. when I read of things suddenly stopping working. I can't afford to have that happen at the office...

Is it my imagination or have the recent rash of releases been problematic?
I hope that 10.3.8 will be well received and I'll certainly be 'watching this space' for news and reports.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
iChan said:

that sucks...

PS. Skype works great!

I get chat and video to work to India from the USA every night. I suspect it is your ISP or home network if you have one.

And you are correct that Skype is awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.