Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
ALoLA said:
I iChat with a friend in Chicago all the time. That's across two time zones with no problems. We've also tried Skype, but that's audio only. :)

tried it tuesday with a friend who lives in canada right above maine... (im in california) and it worked fine..

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
Platform said:
What will 10.3.8 have ??
i have an adc account... here is what the seednote says for this build:
- Improved Quartz 2D Extreme performance on PCI devices
- Kernel version updated to 7.8.0
- NVIDIA graphics performance fixes
- OpenGL performances fixes

not too much, come to think of it..

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
virus1 said:
- Kernel version updated to 7.8.0

not too much, come to think of it..

Thank you

Waiting for Tiger to give some real improvment to system performance :D

ASP272

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2004
Nashville, TN
Another update is always welcome. I just hope it fixes the many problems a lot of MR members have been having with the last two updates. Thankfully, I am not one of those people. I'm always for updates! Especially when they are free. :D

Benj

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2004
London
BWhaler said:
I get chat and video to work to India from the USA every night. I suspect it is your ISP or home network if you have one.

And you are correct that Skype is awesome.

I have chatted across the Atlantic with no probs. Haven't people even managed to do it from a Lufthansa plane over the Atlantic?

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
virus1 said:

Quartz 2D Extreme doesn't exist in Panther, it's only coming in Tiger.
And you can't get it on PCI devices, because I don't know of any PCI cards in currently shipping Macs that are pixel-programmable.
Quartz Extreme (not 2D) requires an AGP graphics card.

I don't believe you.

AppleMatt

millypede

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2004
UK
AppleMatt said:
And you can't get it on PCI devices, because I don't know of any PCI cards in currently shipping Macs that are pixel-programmable.

I don't believe you.

AppleMatt

No hes right just looked myself

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Oh, man, you are in trouble...

You are going to get sued for revealing confidential information about Apple pre-release software!!! I think Apple has like 30 information protection engineers for MR alone, just looking for people abusing their ADC membership like this!!! You never know who is one...

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Blue Velvet said:
Is it my imagination or have the recent rash of releases been problematic?

It's your imagination. Generally you tend to hear from people who have problems, and there are always going to be a few with any update, often for reasons that aren't even necessarily the update's fault. I think the vast majority of people have no problems; certainly I didn't when I went from 10.3.5 to 10.3.7 (skipped 10.3.6 just because I never quite got around to downloading the update before 10.3.7 was already here).

Seems like Apple is making up for longer intervals between major releases with more point releases....

(And why does "they are running out of numbers!" always come up? There are an infinite number of numbers. They can release 10.3.1735673934646523 if they want to. Or 10.3.85.4.76.65.128.1232. Although with a version number THAT fine-grained, the last number would have to be updated every time someone typed another character into the source code....)

--Eric

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Always good news to hear about a Panther update. It means that Apple is hard at work for us. Although I usually wait for a couple of days to see the comments before downloading.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Eric5h5 said:
It's your imagination. Generally you tend to hear from people who have problems...

It's precisely for those reasons the updaters don't go automatically on the work machines. There was a reported problem -- here and elsewhere -- with 10.3.5, fonts and Suitcase.

We can't afford any downtime on the basis of an updater esp. with that flaky app called Quark 6.x...

So we'll wait until the end of 2005 and update Panther then... and Tiger will have to wait till 2006. By then I will have had it running at home for at least 6 months to see how it works with everything... on a separate partition as well, that's how paranoid I am.

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
AppleMatt said:
I'm going to guess that Quartz 2D Extreme = Quartz Extreme and not Core Image, which is what you're thinking of. That would make a lot more sense to me.

Right, there aren't any PCI GPUs with programmable pixel shaders AFAIK (and I kind of doubt there ever will be, since PCI is probably slow enough that it would be a massive bottleneck).

Officially, yes, which does make me suspicious of these supposed seed notes; however, two separate people have confirmed it. And Apple has been known to start officially supporting features that previously required (relatively simple) hacks (see AirPort 3.1).

I don't believe you.
I suppose I believe it for now, but I have my reservations. :)

WM

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
WM. said:
I'm going to guess that Quartz 2D Extreme = Quartz Extreme and not Core Image, which is what you're thinking of. That would make a lot more sense to me.

Nope, not what I'm thinking of. Quartz 2D Extreme is coming in Tiger and it's completely separate from CoreImage (and Quartz...err...normal...Extreme). Watch the QuickTime state of the Union address at about 23 minutes in. It's very, very impressive. But I think you're right in assuming that it's meant to read "Quartz Extreme" instead, which is good if there's improvements there.

I saw a similar posting on macosxrumors.com. I really don't know what Apple mean by it, or if it's a typo or a hoax.

AppleMatt :)

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Zaty said:
Wouldn't that be a change in Apple's policy, didn't they stop development (except for security fixes) of old Mac OS X versions after the release of a new one?

Yep, just like they don't release major software updates for older iPods.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Doctor Q said:
Even after Tiger is released, I expect to see Panther 10.3.9, 10.3.10, etc., probably including some security updates.

Interesting thought.

If so, then Panther will be the first version of Mac OS which will get OS updates after e next version is released. There have been some minor updates for previous verisions of Mac OS X, but not a "full" 10.x.X update.

It does suggest that Panther is the first real finished version of Mac OS X.

BTW this encourages me!:

I have a GeForce 6800 Ultra, and must admit that performance is below par. Now that the X800 XT is here too, making use of far better drivers, I was starting to believe I had made a very bad purchase.
Maybe 10.3.8. will give the nVidia's top model the extra 10%..... :rolleyes:

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
AppleMatt said:
Nope, not what I'm thinking of. Quartz 2D Extreme is coming in Tiger and it's completely separate from CoreImage (and Quartz...err...normal...Extreme). Watch the QuickTime state of the Union address at about 23 minutes in.
I'm just about 30 minutes in right now and I have not seen or heard the term "Quartz 2D Extreme" yet, although I did skip through the Guitar Rig and Motion demos (though I was watching during all of minute 23).

Now I'm going to check the Graphics and Media SotU...

edit: Okay, nevermind, the link to the G&M SotU takes you to the QuickTime SotU. Oops. And my ten best guesses at the URL for the G&M SotU didn't bear any fruit. So I'm awaiting more info on what Q2DE is. :)

FWIW
WM

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
WM. said:
edit: Okay, nevermind, the link to the G&M SotU takes you to the QuickTime SotU. Oops. And my ten best guesses at the URL for the G&M SotU didn't bear any fruit. So I'm awaiting more info on what Q2DE is. :)

I meant to type Graphics and Media. Sorry for wasting your time there.

http://stream.qtv.apple.com/events/jun/wwdc_2004_qt_sotu/wwdc_2004_gm_sotu_ref.mov

Watch from 23 minutes onwards if you want to understand it (I would, it's quite interesting) or if you just want to hear him say "Quartz 2D Extreme" :)p) then goto 24:15.

AppleMatt

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
iSee said:
You are going to get sued for revealing confidential information about Apple pre-release software!!! I think Apple has like 30 information protection engineers for MR alone, just looking for people abusing their ADC membership like this!!! You never know who is one...
anything for MR!

are they really going to sue a 13 year old kid?

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
AppleMatt said:
I meant to type Graphics and Media. Sorry for wasting your time there.
No problem. Shortly after I posted I realized that I should Google for it, and that led me to a thread here that had the correct link.

I remember that I tried to watch the G&M SotU a few months back and the link on Apple's QTV site (here) was borked even back then.

IOW, it's not my fault I didn't know about Quartz 2D Extreme. :D

http://stream.qtv.apple.com/events/jun/wwdc_2004_qt_sotu/wwdc_2004_gm_sotu_ref.mov

Watch from 23 minutes onwards if you want to understand it (I would, it's quite interesting) or if you just want to hear him say "Quartz 2D Extreme" :)p) then goto 24:15.
I just got done watching it (in its entirety). Very, very, very, very interesting, and incredibly awesome. I CAN'T WAIT for Tiger now. Thank you for mentioning that presentation. I HIGHLY recommend it to any Mac geek (or anyone who's impressed by real-time...well, ANYTHING) who hasn't seen it. I think I'm having a geekgasm just thinking about it. HOLY CRAP DID YOU SEE THOSE WINDOW RESIZES?????

And now I wish I could afford to go to WWDC... :)

WM

CaptainCode

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2005
AppleMatt said:
AppleMatt

What's that? Check out the screen shot from the Graphics state of the Union.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 125

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
CaptainCode said:
What's that? Check out the screen shot from the Graphics state of the Union.

:rolleyes: Did you read the whole thread or just quote from the first page? Read the thread. Watch the links.
Hint: Only the composition engine is "Extreme" at the moment (excluding scrolling).

edit: Ohhh I found a pretty picture.

AppleMatt

Attachments

• OpenGL & Quartz Extreme .jpg
    OpenGL & Quartz Extreme .jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 261

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
AppleMatt said:
:rolleyes: Did you read the whole thread or just quote from the first page? Read the thread. Watch the links.
Hint: Only the composition engine is "Extreme" at the moment (excluding scrolling).

edit: Ohhh I found a pretty picture.

AppleMatt

Yes, that is a very nice looking and interesting picture. Even better it looks like the 17" that is sitting on my desk. ;)

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
Hopefully this update will fix the poor performance woes of the 6800 series. Those cards are seriously underperforming right now when compared with their PC counterparts and the X800 XT (Mac), and it is definitely a driver issue.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
[Update to news story]

According to developer discussions monitored by AppleInsider:
The system update will improve Quartz 2D Extreme performance on PCI devices and deliver a new version of the Mac OS X kernel, said to be 7.8.0. The most recent release of Panther -- Mac OS X 10.3.7 -- includes kernel version 7.7.0. The Panther update is also expected to repair performance bugs associated with Nvidia graphics and OpenGL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.