Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Why on Earth is anyone arguing that "Apple should be able to lockdown the NFC chip!"
Why would you want that?

You are the consumer -- not Apple

Your device is better for you, and more flexible for you, when you can use your device how you want.

What is in Apple's favor is not in yours

Let's please stop carrying water for the most valuable company in the world
Sheesh

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Americans whose only understanding of freedom is that businesses have the right to do whatever they want are so tiring to listen to.

Like you can’t ever articulate why being able to use different payments through NFC would ever be a bad thing for consumers, you’re just upset that someone else told poor little $2.6-trillion-market-cap Apple what to do.

If your take on a given subject is worrying about business freedom to be anti-consumer just spare us all and don’t post it.

As an American myself, I wholeheartedly agree.
So much of this society is fully captured by corporate interest and talking points and viewpoints.

It's gone so far that a huge swath of the populace argues against their own interests, in favor of corporate interests.

It's a complete brainwashing.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Americans whose only understanding of freedom is that businesses have the right to do whatever they want are so tiring to listen to.

Like you can’t ever articulate why being able to use different payments through NFC would ever be a bad thing for consumers, you’re just upset that someone else told poor little $2.6-trillion-market-cap Apple what to do.

If your take on a given subject is worrying about business freedom to be anti-consumer just spare us all and don’t post it.

Even Apple hasn’t articulated on why allowing the use of the NFC for different payments is bad for the users. They always just say it’s a security risk, but it’s about time they elaborate on why that would be so. And the EU should be harsher on Apple. It should require them to elaborate on their statement on the nfc being a security risk. If they have convincing arguments to back it up, so be it as they wish. If they can’t or won’t elaborate, they ought to be banned from the European market instead of just fined.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
As an American myself, I wholeheartedly agree.
So much of this society is fully captured by corporate interest and talking points and viewpoints.

It's gone so far that a huge swath of the populace argues against their own interests, in favor of corporate interests.

It's a complete brainwashing.
Last time I looked buying an iPhone is optional. If one doesn’t have an iPhone life will not cease to exist. Having said that, you can show apple you disagree with the lockdown of iOS by voting with your dollars.

Regardless of the general nature of the rant above, a company who produces a mass produced oriented product for consumers is not obligated to design the product for anybodys’ requirements.

Don’t like the product, don’t buy it. Simple.

rgeneral

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
lol wrong comparison, what you're comparing is putting android on iphone and vice versa, a more likely comparison would be why can't you charge a GM at a tesla supercharger.
sure.. there are so many comparison out there. Basically EU has to go to after apple, google, Facebook, Microsoft. Tesla, Amazon.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
Regardless of the general nature of the rant above, a company who produces a mass produced oriented product for consumers is not obligated to design the product for anybodys’ requirements.

Don’t like the product, don’t buy it. Simple.
I'm sure glad you don't work at the FDA or make any kind of food product.
"Don't like strychnine as a preservative, don't buy it!"

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I'm sure glad you don't work at the FDA or make any kind of food product.
"Don't like strychnine as a preservative, don't buy it!"
Nothing like insults to try and have some intelligent discourse. I did clarify my position by saying mass produced consumer oriented products. Now while I didn’t say durable goods I thought it was clear that the conversation has little to do with food products and poison. But guess I was wrong.

CoolSpot

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Sure. If you want open nfc, get an android. Apple is under no obligation to open it up.
Apple will be under obligation to open it up, which is why there is the antitrust complaint.

Make the case for why being able to pick a payment method over NFC is a bad thing for consumers. I understand why Apple doesn't like it, but I want to hear the case for the consumer side.

If you can't make a really good case for it, ask yourself why you feel compelled to advocate for Apple's interests instead of your own.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

AltecX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Philly
Yes, it's their smartphone, their software. Everyone wants access to Apples' platform on Apples dime and make money from Apple's hard work.
My phone actually, and allowing others to use NFC it not making money on Apples dime, or taking advantage of their work. Apple did not invent NFC, but Apple is preventing others from using it so Apple can make more money.

AltecX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Philly
Apple will be under obligation to open it up, which is why there is the antitrust complaint.

Make the case for why being able to pick a payment method over NFC is a bad thing for consumers. I understand why Apple doesn't like it, but I want to hear the case for the consumer side.

If you can't make a really good case for it, ask yourself why you feel compelled to advocate for Apple's interests instead of your own.

Because Apple says its bad and I pay Apple a lot of money to tell me what to think!

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
If the phone belongs to Apple, why did I have to pay them for it?

What hardware did I buy?

Is my phone actually an NFT and I don't really own anything here?

Reactions: Sampire51

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
No we don’t have it. Nice explanation on Apple’s card. However, this shows no reason why NFC cannot be open for other pay systems on your iPhone.
Pay systems make money off of transactions. Apple already allows individual credit cards on the credit standard NFC side of the equation. PayPal seems to want a free ride. Apples secure side is proprietary.

• Haha
Reactions: dk001

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Sure. If you want open nfc, get an android. Apple is under no obligation to open it up.

At least they should be under obligation to elaborate on why they keep the NFC restricted, which they have never done. If there is a valid reason for it, we all deserve to know it. Just saying ‘for security reasons’ isn’t enough, we users need more detail as to what those security reasons are. And it would also put an end to the debate.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
The reason Apple doesn't elaborate is because there is no cogent argument for the lockdown.

That’s one possibility, but we don’t know for sure if that’s the case. No one has ever asked them to elaborate. That’s why they need to be asked. So we can be sure.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
There is a more detailed explanation -- but you're not going to hear it because it solidifies the case against Apple here.

We don’t know that for sure because no one has ever required Apple to provide more details. That’s why it’s just about time to do so to have proof of whether or not Apple has a valid reason to lock the nfc, and end the debate.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
We don’t know that for sure because no one has ever required Apple to provide more details. That’s why it’s just about time to do so to have proof of whether or not Apple has a valid reason to lock the nfc, and end the debate.

We are agreeing

Trust me -- if Apple had a cogent and killer explanation that would serve as a great defense of their actions here, one that would shut down criticism, it already would have come out, right from Apple.

Reactions: Sampire51 and dk001

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
At least they should be under obligation to elaborate on why they keep the NFC restricted, which they have never done. If there is a valid reason for it, we all deserve to know it. Just saying ‘for security reasons’ isn’t enough, we users need more detail as to what those security reasons are. And it would also put an end to the debate.
I'm not sure apple is obligated to do even that. You may want an explanation, but Apple doesn't have to provide one.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
EU in 2014: Who cares if NFC is locked down, they’ve got a tiny marketshare and no one uses it anyway!
EU in 2022: PayPal says that what we ACTUALLY meant is we care deeply.

• Sad
Reactions: dk001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.