Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Floaaa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2021
I want to buy the iPhone 14 Pro. Rumours suggest that it will cost 1250€.
I have an iPhone 13 Pro since launch in mint condition.
People who have done yearly upgrades before, how do you go about it? Thanks

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Bottom line for most folks is they disposable income for gadgets or an upgrade program that essentially lets you lease the phone year after year.

At this point in tech and maybe even that past few years, especially Apple, hardware has far surpassed anything people can do on a phone.

Reactions: shr631

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I basically lease my phone. In the U.S. most carries allow you to be on a "new every year" plan. Since I'm an iOS developer this makes the most sense for me since work sure doesn't buy us the new hardware to test on. I pay about $60 a month extra for this ability. Once the new phone comes out and is shipped to my house, I return my old phone.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I want to buy the iPhone 14 Pro. Rumours suggest that it will cost 1250€.
I have an iPhone 13 Pro since launch in mint condition.
People who have done yearly upgrades before, how do you go about it? Thanks
I upgrade mine yearly, I just be the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program.

Reactions: jbachandouris

x5tuu

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2012
Buy outright annually, have done from the outset and the 2G OG - no mystery on it - lots of people have a solid monthly disposable that easily covers the cost. I dont buy the device in the UK though, they're often purchased in the US / UAE / Thailand when travelling with work, depending where is offering the most advantageous rates and where / when I am.

Its a device thats used extensively every day for a wide range of interactions and purposes and a worthwhile investment to make my life a little easier.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Considering how much I use my iPhone, even if I had to pay $3/day to purchase a new iPhone every year, it would be worth it.

However, I do take advantage of the iPhone Upgrade Program, which works out to <$2/day to use the latest, newest, best iPhone every single day. I waste $50 per month on much dumber stuff.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Considering how much I use my iPhone, even if I had to pay $3/day to purchase a new iPhone every year, it would be worth it.

However, I do take advantage of the iPhone Upgrade Program, which works out to <$2/day to use the latest, newest, best iPhone every single day. I waste $50 per month on much dumber stuff.
Exactly. Those who complain and say its a waste are those spending $50 on stupid stuff. Now considering price increase for Pro models this year I'm thinking $4-$5 more a month for 14PM for next 12 months.

• Love
Reactions: Cape Dave

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I always buy the new Max Pro every year and use the Apple trade in program to near halve the cost. Other places might pay more but Apple always gives me the advertised max amount and never have any trouble.

Arkitect is correct, it just takes money, but I consider the latest Pro Max a good buy as much as I use and depend on it.

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012
My network EE allows me to do anytime upgrade program, so every year I sign a new contract and send the old one back. This year, I'm going to gift my iPhone 13 Pro to my Mum, so I will pay the £500ish I think it is to keep my existing iPhone and upgrade to the new one.

I could buy out the iPhone but it works our cheaper getting it on contract, IF you plan to upgrade every year.

Great question! I’ve been upgrading back to back consecutively since 2008. Sometimes purchase 2 iPhones within a year. How do I do it? I don’t really have an answer for that. It comes off as natural. It has become a tradition. Think of thanksgiving or Christmas. When you love something more than your dear life you just don’t consider anything. Nothing else matters! 🥳

I pay for my iPhones all cash.

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
I’ve used an iPhone since the original in 2007 and I have upgraded every year since. I pay cash so I own each device outright and I see it as a luxury purchase which I allow myself each year. I also pass down my old iPhone to family members so they can keep their bills down by having a sim only deal instead of paying monthly for their device as-well. I know not everybody would see this as sensible but I work hard for what I have and I use my iPhone for an average of 7 hours per day so it’s worth it to me.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
My network EE allows me to do anytime upgrade program, so every year I sign a new contract and send the old one back. This year, I'm going to gift my iPhone 13 Pro to my Mum, so I will pay the £500ish I think it is to keep my existing iPhone and upgrade to the new one.

I could buy out the iPhone but it works our cheaper getting it on contract, IF you plan to upgrade every year.
There is a major catch with EEs anytime upgrade in that you are forced to take out the same phone tariff as a minimum, and the tariff prices creep up each year.
Its much more affordable to buy outright from apple using the Barclays finance option over 24 months interest free and then get a cheap sim only deal. When you want to upgrade you simply sell the phone and use the funds to pay of what's remaining with the finance plan and then start again.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
The iPhone Upgrade Programme also isn't very attractive because you are forced to take AppleCare. Normally AppleCare would have its uses however the excess payments on claims are now ridiculous which means it just isn't worth it anymore.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
There is a major catch with EEs anytime upgrade in that you are forced to take out the same phone tariff as a minimum, and the tariff prices creep up each year.
Its much more affordable to buy outright from apple using the Barclays finance option over 24 months interest free and then get a cheap sim only deal. When you want to upgrade you simply sell the phone and use the funds to pay of what's remaining with the finance plan and then start again.
👍 Agreed.

I tend to buy from Amazon — they have 5 months or 12 months interest free… and often sold at a discounted price.

That leaves me free to shop around for the best sim deal.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
iPhone Upgrade Program. $60 a month. They couldn't make returning/replacing the phone any easier.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
Another for the iPhone upgrade program as it is easy and not locked to a carrier (if doing the payment methods) I know the price includes the AppleCare+ mandatory, but I am fine with that as I have a 2 year old who gets a hold of my phone a lot (fortunately no issues so far)

Reactions: ShadowGuardian87

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Another for the iPhone upgrade program as it is easy and not locked to a carrier (if doing the payment methods) I know the price includes the AppleCare+ mandatory, but I am fine with that as I have a 2 year old who gets a hold of my phone a lot (fortunately no issues so far)
I always add a little more for apple care + (theft and loss)

VuvuzelaiPhone

Suspended
Aug 15, 2022
Exactly. Those who complain and say its a waste are those spending $50 on stupid stuff. Now considering price increase for Pro models this year I'm thinking $4-$5 more a month for 14PM for next 12 months.
Or we don't. In addition, the financial impact is not why many choose to keep their phones longer. The environmental impact is of far greater importance for many.

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012

True but I do get 2 Smart benefits, once factored in Apple Music cost £10 x 12 months = £120
and I get that part of the plan which is £90ish it works out

As I said ONLY if you upgrade every year and want the latest device like I desire to have

Reactions: ShadowGuardian87
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.