Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
I think (assuming the person is financially responsible) just spend their money on it since they don’t spend their money on other things. It’s kind of like in an RPG where you choose to put more in one skill over another. So one person may have an iPhone every year but never take a vacation or buy expensive clothing but on the contrary, someone else may invest more in what hotel they stay at, but be using an iPhone 8. It’s really about what you care about and how you spend money not it.

Now there are definitely people out there living outside their means and “trying to have it all” and those are the ones living paycheck to paycheck. I always think they’re the ones the debt to income calculators are designed for lol.

Reactions: rui no onna

jaymc

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Port Orchard, WA
I think (assuming the person is financially responsible) just spend their money on it since they don’t spend their money on other things. It’s kind of like in an RPG where you choose to put more in one skill over another. So one person may have an iPhone every year but never take a vacation or buy expensive clothing but on the contrary, someone else may invest more in what hotel they stay at, but be using an iPhone 8. It’s really about what you care about and how you spend money not it.

Now there are definitely people out there living outside their means and “trying to have it all” and those are the ones living paycheck to paycheck. I always think they’re the ones the debt to income calculators are designed for lol.
Exactly this ... this year I upgraded a MacBook Pro and DJI drone ... gonna wait til this Wednesday to see if I upgrade my phone/watch/iPad or whatever.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
For me it’s still a new phone after 12 months and I wouldn’t be getting anything of benefit from doing it. Also when I’ve spent £35 on a case that might not fit the next phone, it’s adding to the expense too.

This is one of those things where someone like yourself enjoys perhaps different characteristics of owning a new phone. I see it as a bit of a chore and every 2 years halves the hassle of searching for deals and private selling my device. I also don’t know a single person apart from people on the internet who upgrade every year. Sat around a pub table yesterday on a mates stag do it was interesting to see a mate of mine had a 12 Pro, and me and him had the newest devices out of 14 other people there. Perhaps it’s anecdotal, or just not as popular to get the latest and greatest as it once was. I really don’t know.
honestly the differences year on year for non pro models wouldn't be worth it for me. many also think same about the pro models but this year the differences from 13 seem tiny.

this year will be more about the camera which is why I like upgrading to be honest. last year was more about the 120hz for me

markyyy_marc

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2023
I want to buy the iPhone 14 Pro. Rumours suggest that it will cost 1250€.
I have an iPhone 13 Pro since launch in mint condition.
People who have done yearly upgrades before, how do you go about it? Thanks
I upgrade every year via Apple's iPhone upgrade program. I pay a monthly fee and turn return the phone back to Apple when the new iPhone comes out. I honestly don't know if I will continue doing this since the upgrade specs are becoming minimal and I don't know if it's worth paying a monthly fee just for a newer version of the iPhone.

SYCAMOREGRAD

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Indianapolis
In the early days, I’d scramble to come up with $199 and upgrade. But now i use “Next Up,” AT&T’s early upgrade program. In the beginning it was a 24mo. term, where after 12 months, you trade in when the phone is 50% paid. Now, it’s a 36-month term, so it’s not at 50% until the 18th month. So I’m back to paying a couple hundred bucks to upgrade every year. This year i will pay $200 to reach the 50% threshold plus the sales tax on i15Pro(around 90 bucks.) luckily my job has extra times where i can pick up shifts.

Rob198612

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Miami
I personally do the iPhone upgrade plan

I owe about $675 by next month

I sell the phone from 980 pay off the remaining amount and use the remaining money to upgrade (taxes) and pocket anything else. and continue paying the monthly premium which isn't too bad.

get back in the iPhone upgrade plan continue the cycle

Reactions: StaceyMJ86

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
At my stage of life having the latest iPhone is not as important as it probably is to people in their mid 20’s. Some of the premiums I see people admitting to paying on here and the effort it takes to sell current iPhones and order new phones each September shows a level of commitment and hassle that I simply couldn’t be bothered with. There’s obviously a personal satisfaction that comes with it I’m sure, but a year old phone to me still feels new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.