Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
My son is 19 and does it with a trick I told him.
He added an extra 30 minutes per day at work.
He makes $8 a hour so another 3 hours per week, he gets $24 per week.
So around $96 a month, times a year and he's at $1,200.

Buys it outright then resells the phone to put back in to his account.

I told him not to think that resell was a guaranteed 50% return so plan on paying 100% cost, and IF you can resell, then that is just money back to either work less the next year or just have extra cash in the bank. Your choice.
This would be a great way to do things if I was an hourly worker. But I am Salary. However, I just don’t see the point in upgrading every year anymore. I used to do it, but then I started realizing that paying $1000+ each year for just one or two new features wasn’t worth it.

I always ask the question, “Is this feature going to change the way I currently use my iPhone on a day to day basis?” And if the answer is yes, then I upgrade. Currently rocking the iPhone 11 Pro, and will probably upgrade this year because of the battery life and Satellite connection. I’m a pilot, so having that feature would be very useful if it works the way I want it to work (Calling an ATC tower or Approach center or checking weather forecasts, etc.)

Reactions: jaymc and 3Rock

B_mark_R

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
I work the carrier deals and best buy sales. Have 3 lines on at&t and always taking advantage of their massive discounts.

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
Why I upgrade yearly: I upgrade my goddaughter’s phone, and her daughter’s phones periodically. If the camera upgrades, likely so will I.

How I do it: I throw ~$100/month into my savings account. I buy outright, unlocked from Apple. I have no payments, and I earned 50 cents interest on the money during the year. yuk yuk. You can make payments before as well as after.

What I didn’t upgrade: The last Watch. I like the stainless models but the last Watch was not compelling vs the previous model. If there’s no new sensors, why upgrade? A little bigger display and battery won’t make me shell out for a new Watch.

Reactions: ISKOTB

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
Nuts only getting 10-11 months out of a new iPhone and then having to have a back up for a few months just to get a new one on release, I normally wait a month after when people start selling them off when they upgrade contracts and keep their old iPhones, bargains to be had with cash. Have been doing this for years.

Reactions: arkitect

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I basically lease my phone. In the U.S. most carries allow you to be on a "new every year" plan. Since I'm an iOS developer this makes the most sense for me since work sure doesn't buy us the new hardware to test on. I pay about $60 a month extra for this ability. Once the new phone comes out and is shipped to my house, I return my old phone.

$60 a month extra is quite steep, as you essentially waste 720$ per year just for the ability to upgrade, no? Say, the baseline iPhone 13 Pro costs 999$, so if you sold it for anything higher than 279$ before getting your new phone, you would already be gaining. Or am I missing something?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
That’s exactly why I stick to a 2 year contract. 400 quid for 10 or 11 months use to me seems a lot of money for what we are getting. I assume that’s the cost of the handset only and not the tariff?
But if you‘re on contract I’m spending £912 on an annual upgrade. So for me this is a far superior option.

in total it costs me £349 not. £400.

for me it’s a no brainer

sim wise it costs me £15 a month so £180 for the year

Ona two year phone contract I would be paying £1,824 which to me isn’t worth it

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
But if you‘re on contract I’m spending £912 on an annual upgrade. So for me this is a far superior option.

in total it costs me £349 not. £400.

for me it’s a no brainer

sim wise it costs me £15 a month so £180 for the year

Ona two year phone contract I would be paying £1,824 which to me isn’t worth it

My 2 year contract is £995 including the iPhone and tariff. I know you probably go for a Pro model whereas I had an iPhone 12, but it still seems a lot to me.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
They get their mommies and daddies to buy it for them, get more in debt, commit crimes, buy then sell old iPhone, pay monthly, or sign up for a contract.

• Haha
Reactions: hch720

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
I want to buy the iPhone 14 Pro. Rumours suggest that it will cost 1250€.
I have an iPhone 13 Pro since launch in mint condition.
People who have done yearly upgrades before, how do you go about it? Thanks
I have a colleague that goes out for lunch every day and will go out drinking every weekend. He spends about $150-300 a week on food and out drinking. I think he would have spent enough for about 10 iPhones by the end of the year. So how I do it? Just don’t do what he is doing.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I’m on a 2 year upgrade cycle, but starting next year I’m moving back to annual upgrades. I created a spreadsheet and will save a certain amount biweekly and within a year reach my goal to buy my iPhone outright. I started saving for the 14 Pro Max this year in January. I stopped paying device payments when the 12 launched and I loved tracking my iPhone all the way from China into my hands.

haileyscomet

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2016
T-Mobile’s “Jump On Demand” program is really the only reason I’m able to upgrade to the new iPhone every year. At most, I pay $350 down so I try to save up some extra cash to set aside for that. I normally upgrade to the basic models as opposed to the Pro’s though (I don’t have a need for all the fancy cameras & other features), & the down payment for those are way more affordable.

YEMADOLIA

Suspended
Aug 25, 2022
Solarpunk, London
. Have previous iPhone before the release of new iPhone
. Have money for the imminent release
. Pre - order latest iPhone
. Sell previous iPhone on a zero-fee platform

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
T-Mobile’s “Jump On Demand” program is really the only reason I’m able to upgrade to the new iPhone every year. At most, I pay $350 down so I try to save up some extra cash to set aside for that. I normally upgrade to the basic models as opposed to the Pro’s though (I don’t have a need for all the fancy cameras & other features), & the down payment for those are way more affordable.

I have great credit and have been with T-Mobile over 10 years and they still require more than $350 as a down payment for me. I had 2 lines with T-Mobile and switched one of them to Verizon after they required almost $500 for the XS Max. My daughter uses the other line. With those prices, I might as well pay outright for the phone and have no device payments.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
My 2 year contract is £995 including the iPhone and tariff. I know you probably go for a Pro model whereas I had an iPhone 12, but it still seems a lot to me.
while cheaper due to the non pro model if you bought a iPhone 13 for say 779 you can sell it now for 507 it'a only costing you £200 for the year of usage. for me it seems more practical than paying double the price just over a two year period.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Nuts only getting 10-11 months out of a new iPhone and then having to have a back up for a few months just to get a new one on release, I normally wait a month after when people start selling them off when they upgrade contracts and keep their old iPhones, bargains to be had with cash. Have been doing this for years.

You haven't had to have a backup of your phone to transfer to a new phone for years. You just put the old and new phone near each other and start the wireless transfer.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
lol I meant another phone as a back up to use

Don't know what scenario you would need a "back up" phone for months. After 12 months I get a new phone, spend a week or two verifying it's all good, send back the old phone.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

I'm surprised that still exist. I was using that years ago, but they started requiring more and more upfront cost every year on flagships. And being on that program made pre-orders extremely difficult.

Trade-ins direct from Apple have made more sense.

Reactions: Azathoth123

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I'm surprised that still exist. I was using that years ago, but they started requiring more and more upfront cost every year on flagships. And being on that program made pre-orders extremely difficult.

Trade-ins direct from Apple have made more sense.

That’s one of the prime reasons why I switched to Verizon. The up front cost was getting more expensive and the service with T-Mobile was not improving for me. Pre-ordering through Apple and paying outright, was the best decision I could’ve made.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Those who complain and say its a waste are those spending $50 on stupid stuff

I agree and disagree. Yes, some people waste money and often confuse needs and wants. But also not everybody spends frivolously (even if they can afford it). It all depends on the person and circumstances.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Just pay $100 to t-mobile every year and swap out last year's phone for the same one out of new one. Or pay $300 directly to Apple using trade-in.

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
Don't know what scenario you would need a "back up" phone for months. After 12 months I get a new phone, spend a week or two verifying it's all good, send back the old phone.
geez, we were talking about people selling their phone 1-2 months before release.
Please Try reading the posts before commenting.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
while cheaper due to the non pro model if you bought a iPhone 13 for say 779 you can sell it now for 507 it'a only costing you £200 for the year of usage. for me it seems more practical than paying double the price just over a two year period.

For me it’s still a new phone after 12 months and I wouldn’t be getting anything of benefit from doing it. Also when I’ve spent £35 on a case that might not fit the next phone, it’s adding to the expense too.

This is one of those things where someone like yourself enjoys perhaps different characteristics of owning a new phone. I see it as a bit of a chore and every 2 years halves the hassle of searching for deals and private selling my device. I also don’t know a single person apart from people on the internet who upgrade every year. Sat around a pub table yesterday on a mates stag do it was interesting to see a mate of mine had a 12 Pro, and me and him had the newest devices out of 14 other people there. Perhaps it’s anecdotal, or just not as popular to get the latest and greatest as it once was. I really don’t know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.