Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
On US carriers, there's often upgrade deals.
Everyone says that there's no more contracts but that's not true, the contract is just attached to the lease or financing of the phone instead of the plan.
Some lease deals even include the phone for free with tradein.
So at the end of your iPhone 12 lease, pay the $199 to buy the phone, then send it back into the carrier as a trade-in so you can get an iPhone 13 for free. Then no matter how much you spend on the iPhone 14, it'll be a deal because the 13 effectively cost you $199.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I use the iPhone Upgrade Program. I pay tax (first month's payment also I believe) and hand in my old phone. A new contract starts and I pay a monthly payment.

Technically, it's a 2 year loan so you can skip the yearly upgrade if you want.

Reactions: compwiz1202

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Apple Upgrade Program. I can do it because I can afford it. I've been running my family business and I have surplus cash.
This or do carrier installments and trade. Or we pay the installments off and use them for the crazy carrier trade in offers. Or you could pay off and sell the devices. Or just have lots of money and buy full retail every time and sell or trade when the new one comes.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
At this point in tech and maybe even that past few years, especially Apple, hardware has far surpassed anything people can do on a phone.

I disagree.

There is room for a ton of improvement of the cameras, they are still nowhere near more advanced point-and-shoots when it comes to image quality, not to mention DSLRs.

Earlier today, using my phone in direct sunlight with no shade in sight, I wished I could crank up the brightness.

I know a lot of people that would happily pay the upgrade price for a longer-lasting battery alone.

I could go on and on.

Reactions: vikramkr1

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I was on the iPhone Upgrade Program, but then got off of it because I didn't want any debt or extra monthly payments. So I paid cash for the last one with a hefty trade-in value of my 12-series. I think I'm going to go back on iUP this year for the simplicity of it, though.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I disagree.

There is room for a ton of improvement of the cameras, they are still nowhere near more advanced point-and-shoots when it comes to image quality, not to mention DSLRs.

Earlier today, using my phone in direct sunlight with no shade in sight, I wished I could crank up the brightness.

I know a lot of people that would happily pay the upgrade price for a longer-lasting battery alone.

I could go on and on.

A mobile phone camera will never be able to compete with a DSLR camera due to the limitations of the glass. No amount of clever pixel duplication and artificial processing is going to truly give us images of equal quality. A brilliant point and shoot is all we will ever be able to hope for.

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
A mobile phone camera will never be able to compete with a DSLR camera due to the limitations of the glass. No amount of clever pixel duplication and artificial processing is going to truly give us images of equal quality. A brilliant point and shoot is all we will ever be able to hope for.
Also the intense noise processing really gives away photos shot on phone cameras vs any real camera.

Cancelled
Jul 18, 2022
I want to buy the iPhone 14 Pro. Rumours suggest that it will cost 1250€.
I have an iPhone 13 Pro since launch in mint condition.
People who have done yearly upgrades before, how do you go about it? Thanks
iPhone upgrade is a great way to go if you don’t mind a constant payment.

Selling outright (via Swappa or eBay) you’ll get more money for it to go towards another device. The catch with that is, you’ll need a backup phone to use if you sell the device before launch, in order to use that money for the new purchase.

If you can swing it, use yours until you get the new one, then sell it. May go for a little less than before launch, but would still be a $100+ more than a trade in value. Especially if it’s mint with original box/accessories.

I used to use Swappa for a long while. But then it got stressful with shipping and all that. So I take a lose and do trade in for peace of mind.

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
iPhone upgrade is a great way to go if you don’t mind a constant payment.

Selling outright (via Swappa or eBay) you’ll get more money for it to go towards another device. The catch with that is, you’ll need a backup phone to use if you sell the device before launch, in order to use that money for the new purchase.

If you can swing it, use yours until you get the new one, then sell it. May go for a little less than before launch, but would still be a $100+ more than a trade in value. Especially if it’s mint with original box/accessories.

I used to use Swappa for a long while. But then it got stressful with shipping and all that. So I take a lose and do trade in for peace of mind.
Did Swappa charge for the sale? I've been using eBay for so long, but the fees on electronics sales are ridiculous

quise2024

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2022
Have the regular iPhone 13, was just going to use it for trade in should I upgrade, but with the price of the 14 being the same as the 13 kind of screws up the idea of selling it for more than trade in

In my mind I’m thinking why would I buy your used 13 to save $100 when I can get the new one (same everything) for the $100 more over “2 years”

This all assuming trade in value is same as the 12 I believe it was $500, and full price (13/14) being $799 — that’s unless trade in someone would offer full price 🥴

Kiimora

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
I buy the phone outright, with the EE ( UK ) sim-only tariff @ £16 (with 20% corporate discount ) /100GB of data monthly.

I sell my phone privately after I set up the new phone.

I have upgraded annually from 2014 -2020, hence I am still holding onto my PB 12PM

KennyJr

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2020
Easy .. Just shop around and find the best price for selling your current phone. You'd be surprised at what you can get for last year's model (assuming you have taken careful care of your device and have kept it well protected). Then your question needs to be: Does that price difference between old and new seem like a viable price to pay for the new features.

Reactions: 1557750

Dstopsie

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
First I buy my phone outright with no contract. Then I sell my phone every year for about 1/2 the price I paid for it. For the last 5 years one of my fellow MacRumors forum members has been buying my phone. I met him on the Marketplace forum here. Then my job pays me a monthly reimbursement for using my cell for work. So essentially the phone doesn’t cost me anything in the long run.

I price my phones reasonably, always have applecare+ on them, and take good care of them. I have always been able to either sell my phone in the marketplace or on Craig’s list successfully.

Craigf56

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2022
With the Apple upgrade programme how does it work after 12 months if you want to upgrade ? Just hand the old phone back and start a new agreement on the latest handset?

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
With the Apple upgrade programme how does it work after 12 months if you want to upgrade ? Just hand the old phone back and start a new agreement on the latest handset?
You buy a new phone on the program and start a new agreement. They'll eventually send you a box to return the old phone in and you have a certain amount of time to return it. We used to have to return the phone to the Apple Store and that was a PITA.

jaymc

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Port Orchard, WA
‘The facts are that there was much more crazy weather, long ago, before we were out of caves.
Gotta watch your tone here ... the SJWs of MacRumors don't take kindly to these kind of remarks. And to the OP, I leased every years offer - 3gs, 4, 5, then every other year or so bought the 6+, X, 11 Pro. May get the 14, but will wait and see.

• Haha
Reactions: Synomenon

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
I don’t upgrade yearly ( every 2-3 years) but like others have said those that do upgrade yearly have disposable income or on upgrade plans..

One fellow apple fan I know that upgrades every year says that he doesn’t take vacations and instead spend that money on phones. Some people are hardcore. I am an apple fan but if it came down to taking a vacation trip or the latest iPhone, I would pick the trip every time 😂.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Gotta watch your tone here ... the SJWs of MacRumors don't take kindly to these kind of remarks. And to the OP, I leased every years offer - 3gs, 4, 5, then every other year or so bought the 6+, X, 11 Pro. May get the 14, but will wait and see.

I do not let others control my tone! If they do not wish to have me around, they know what to do.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
My son is 19 and does it with a trick I told him.
He added an extra 30 minutes per day at work.
He makes $8 a hour so another 3 hours per week, he gets $24 per week.
So around $96 a month, times a year and he's at $1,200.

Buys it outright then resells the phone to put back in to his account.

I told him not to think that resell was a guaranteed 50% return so plan on paying 100% cost, and IF you can resell, then that is just money back to either work less the next year or just have extra cash in the bank. Your choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.