Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
FA7BD36B-66B2-4C13-936C-43B2020DA0B6.jpeg

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Jelly Fish? Eyeball? Space capsule crashing through the atmosphere?

LOL! One of the lamps on my computer workstation, shot without any other lights on and as it is a grey, dull day out there, the room is fairly dark. Used the 90mm macro and got up close and personal with the light; deliberate underexposure, f/22 and spot metering helps in creating this effect, and the only post-processing needed was a gentle boost of the color and contrast, plus of course resizing; this was the first time I'd tried 1800 pixels for this forum.

Reactions: MacNut

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
LOL! One of the lamps on my computer workstation, shot without any other lights on and as it is a grey, dull day out there, the room is fairly dark. Used the 90mm macro and got up close and personal with the light; deliberate underexposure, f/22 and spot metering helps in creating this effect, and the only post-processing needed was a gentle boost of the color and contrast, plus of course resizing; this was the first time I'd tried 1800 pixels for this forum.
This is what is amazing me about these cameras. The post processing is minimal, and the sharpness and lack of noise if unreal. I am not used to letting the camera do most of the work.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
The technology available to us these days is truly amazing -- both in camera bodies and lenses. This camera really picks up detail very well and the high resolution it offers does make a difference. The lamp's glass surface is somewhat textured and opaque, and the texture shows up quite clearly in this image.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Two of my favorite things: great photo and food. Well, radishes anyway. I can dream that they're tomatoes. Cheers
I am really not a food photographer but this was an interesting challenge from a friend. ?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Molly, am I right in guessing that you might have gotten a new Nikon lens for Christmas? :) To my eyes and IMO the image quality in the last couple of images seems to be significantly different -- better -- than many of the ones shot with Lensbaby lenses. Good lenses do make a difference!

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I did get a new lens, the Z 50mm 1.8. It is different than lensbabies. I have a number of $2k lenses also but I like the look of the LBs. I like the disparate blur of a Lensbaby. I like the soft vintage look.

But my husband surprised me with the 50. It’s a beautiful lens but not a focal length I’m comfortable with so it will take some getting used to. I haven’t had a dedicated 50mm since I sold all my Canon gear in 2011. I like wide or long. Normal length confuses me because it doesn’t seem special. Which just means I need to open up all the way.

weird blur from Lensbaby and purposely oof images are part of my voice. I don’t really want my images to look like everyone else’s.

Last edited:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I did get a new lens, the Z 50mm 1.8. It is different than lensbabies. I have a number of $2k lenses also but I like the look of the LBs. I like the disparate blur of a Lensbaby. I like the soft vintage look.

But my husband surprised me with the 50. It’s a beautiful lens but not a focal length I’m comfortable with so it will take some getting used to. I haven’t had a dedicated 50mm since I sold all my Canon gear in 2011. I like wide or long. Normal length confuses me because it doesn’t seem special. Which just means I need to open up all the way.

weird blur from Lensbaby and purposely oof images are part of my voice. I don’t really want my images to look like everyone else’s.

Ah, I was correct, then! There was just something....subtly but noticeably different about these radish images that caught my attention and I finally decided that it must be a new lens. I have heard very good things about the Z series 50mm f/1.8; definitely this is a lens which will offer you different types of shooting possibilities, particularly because of its speed. I agree with you about that 50mm focal length; I've never been really all that comfortable with it either -- I seem to prefer either very long or shorter and wider. I find that I can do more with them, that they provide a different perspective than the "normal" perspective of a 50mm. I'm also not that crazy about 35mm for the same reason. 24mm and below, 90mm and above (way above) suit me and my shooting style much more. Other photographers love the 50mm focal length -- we're all different!

Recently on Nikon Cafe we had a one-week celebration of the 50th week of the year, and all participants used a 50mm lens during that time period. My 50mm is a macro, the only reason I even have it, and while I was fine doing macro shots during that week, when I tried to use it as just a regular focal-length lens a few of those days, I found myself struggling with what to shoot and how most effectively and interestingly to shoot it. I managed to get through the week, but as soon as it was over I grabbed one of my other lenses just for the pleasure of using focal lengths with which I am more comfortable and happiest.

Enjoy your new lens and the fresh challenges it presents to you!

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Ah, I was correct, then! There was just something....subtly but noticeably different about these radish images that caught my attention and I finally decided that it must be a new lens. I have heard very good things about the Z series 50mm f/1.8; definitely this is a lens which will offer you different types of shooting possibilities, particularly because of its speed. I agree with you about that 50mm focal length; I've never been really all that comfortable with it either -- I seem to prefer either very long or shorter and wider. I find that I can do more with them, that they provide a different perspective than the "normal" perspective of a 50mm. I'm also not that crazy about 35mm for the same reason. 24mm and below, 90mm and above (way above) suit me and my shooting style much more. Other photographers love the 50mm focal length -- we're all different!

Recently on Nikon Cafe we had a one-week celebration of the 50th week of the year, and all participants used a 50mm lens during that time period. My 50mm is a macro, the only reason I even have it, and while I was fine doing macro shots during that week, when I tried to use it as just a regular focal-length lens a few of those days, I found myself struggling with what to shoot and how most effectively and interestingly to shoot it. I managed to get through the week, but as soon as it was over I grabbed one of my other lenses just for the pleasure of using focal lengths with which I am more comfortable and happiest.

Enjoy your new lens and the fresh challenges it presents to you!

honestly I think the difference is more that had a layered composition for these rather than the lens. Most of my setups are a single flower, item, etc. If I had used a Lensbaby at 45mm with this setup it would not have looked substantially different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.