Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I don't usually think in mb, I tend to think in pixel sizes...... For a long time many places restricted image uploads to under 1000 pixels, but that was years ago now, and restrictions have changed, just as in the past we couldn't upload directly from our own hard drives right to many forums.

Reactions: Hughmac

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
I don’t believe the limit of the size of a file has changed. I’ve tried to upload directly the full size images. Doesn’t work from Safari at least.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Fractures of Light 2.jpeg

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
I think you meant @stillcrazyman as I direct upload from hard drive, special folder reduced to web size, 2500 pixel on long side. No independent hosting site.

I really need some clarification here. Uploading from iPad/Phone does not seem to accept anything more than 2000px, and it reduces picture KB size. Is there some ‘manual’ from forums on max image sizes?

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
The photo above that I uploaded today directly from my MacBook as a test, is 7.1mb and 3342 x 2678 ;)

Cheers :)

Hugh

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I post to several photo forums and one in particular is very specific about the file size (it's a collaborative blog with probably a thousand people able to post to it). I have a LR preset for that site's requirements and then just use that image to post elsewhere as well so I don't have to fuss with multiple versions. That site needs to be 1960px wide and 400kb or lower for file sizes.

I do appreciate the smaller file sizes when I am on my phone as the threads load so much faster (and I use less data).

Many forums do have specific requirements (max size) but of course you'd have to parse through the data of each site to figure that out. There's another site that I used to post to where things had to be smaller than 1200px.

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
The photo above that I uploaded today directly from my MacBook as a test, is 7.1mb and 3342 x 2678 ;)

Hugh

Can you download it back in the same size? When I try to download your image it says: 2000x1603 (464 KB).

Reactions: mollyc

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Same here, so it's been resized by the forum software ;)

Hugh

That is why I want to find out what is the max allowed file size. It seems that res. is 2000px, however I do not get the limit where a file is reduced in MB/KB size. If I upload 2000px 1 MB, it is still shrinked down in KB/MB.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
My Niece at a recent family get together.
A7R3 w/ 100mm STF
actually my wife took this one, still teaching her composition and not dead centering everything but I still think it turned out nice.

On another note, it's crazy the amount of compressions that goes in to posting. From 85MB raw, to 24MB jpg, to 1.3MB jpg. ;)

JDT01535-2.jpg

Last edited:

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
@tizeye neither of your photos is clickable to your SM site, but the second one you posted is larger, which could be why it looks better. I don't think when you choose the downloadable links from photo hosting sites that any sharpening is applied. I know a lot of people prefer to link from their host sites, but I always save for web from LR and apply my own sharpening.
I really need some clarification here. Uploading from iPad/Phone does not seem to accept anything more than 2000px, and it reduces picture KB size. Is there some ‘manual’ from forums on max image sizes?

Hugh
Can you download it back in the same size? When I try to download your image it says: 2000x1603 (464 KB).
I guess needs a little clarifying here. A couple of general principals. 1) When downsized (even as done with the forum processing) it can't be re-upsized as it will introduce distortion and pixilation. and 2) most sites don't specify but appears 2000px is optimal for this forum. But generally, for all websites and other web based programs, 1500px to 2500px is optimal and if you comply with the specified size, minimal to no processing/resizing providing most efficient. With Realtors, MLS specifies 1500px, so that is what I deliver, but for personal I will make a 2500px folder (and a full size folder) as part of my normal Lightroom export workflow. Looking at the Rosetta Spoonbill I posted today, downloaded from the site and was 2000x1334 @96dpi where the original upload was 2500x1067 @240dpi. While my normal full size jpg is 6000x4000 and 2.43 MB this particular one was 5254x3504 and 2.0mb due to cropping.

Color shift? Original was sRGB but the returned 2000px copy failed to show any color standard. Essentially, it appears have other process going on reducing from 240 to 96dpi in addition to the resizing, and may apply some different color standard.

Finally, once it has been saved (and processed) at a certain size, while physically you can re-upsized, quality further deteriorates as it magnifies imperfections and jpg artifacts from the prior. That is why I create two folders and re-name the folders in the process or keep in the same folder (typically Photoshop rather than Lightroom) with different file names so never overwrite the original. My downsized will typically have the same basic file name and sequence number for the batch (Wetlands - 18) then for easy future reference add the downsize to the files name (Wetlands - 2500px - 18)

Horror story. A client who is not tech savvy had the 'trip of a lifetime' to Ireland. She actually set her picture size for the maximum number - way beyond what she would take anyway - rather than taking a spare SD card probably wouldn't need anyway. Got back from trip and photos she tried to print as Costco were rejected as too small for even a 4x6, and those she printed on her printer were all pixelated. Came to me asking about the problem. Had to bite my tongue as I gave her the bad news, but she took photos that were thumbnail size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.