Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
San Francisco over this last weekend just after the rains, when the air is really clear. Shot on a tripod with a remote shutter release, 26 second exposure in Bulb mode, f8.0 ISO at 100 using my 70-200 F2.8L lens.

IMG_5938.jpg

Last edited:

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
@tizeye neither of your photos is clickable to your SM site, but the second one you posted is larger, which could be why it looks better. I don't think when you choose the downloadable links from photo hosting sites that any sharpening is applied. I know a lot of people prefer to link from their host sites, but I always save for web from LR and apply my own sharpening.

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
@tizeye neither of your photos is clickable to your SM site, but the second one you posted is larger, which could be why it looks better. I don't think when you choose the downloadable links from photo hosting sites that any sharpening is applied. I know a lot of people prefer to link from their host sites, but I always save for web from LR and apply my own sharpening.

Thanks for the input. I suspect that downloading one image at full res and then posting it through this site is what is causing the degradation. When I go to post a photo, I get the options of 'original' size, large, medium, and small. Full sized photos rarely post - I get errors of 'file too large'.

Reactions: mollyc

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
I think you meant @stillcrazyman as I direct upload from hard drive, special folder reduced to web size, 2500 pixel on long side. No independent hosting site.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Thanks for the input. I suspect that downloading one image at full res and then posting it through this site is what is causing the degradation. When I go to post a photo, I get the options of 'original' size, large, medium, and small. Full sized photos rarely post - I get errors of 'file too large'.

I suspect that downloading and then uploading via the phone is possibly part of the problem as well.....

I have a Zenfolio gallery and I can still use that to hotlink my images, but now that MR allows us to upload directly from our hard drive I very often just do that instead. From long habit I don't make my images super-large, usually 1200 pixels on the long side. Now that there aren't as many issues with bandwidth as there were in the past and people have devices which can view images more easily, I need to increase my sizes a bit!

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
I suspect that downloading and then uploading via the phone is possibly part of the problem as well.....

I have a Zenfolio gallery and I can still use that to hotlink my images, but now that MR allows us to upload directly from our hard drive I very often just do that instead. From long habit I don't make my images super-large, usually 1200 pixels on the long side. Now that there aren't as many issues with bandwidth as there were in the past and people have devices which can view images more easily, I need to increase my sizes a bit!
So, no longer a 3mb upload limit?

Cheers :)

Hugh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.