Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
What are you using for ad blocking? I usually use adaway but needs root and since TWRP don't work on Q yet, that means patching the boot image.

Thought about reverting to pie again but don't wanna wipe my device.

I am glad the 3 button navigation is back though!
I'm using Adguard Premium and it seems to be working well as it did on Pie.

I too don't want to revert to Pie and have my device wiped, I'm debating just sticking with it and waiting for my banking apps to be updated.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Can I ask a question?

Is it a point of contention that when you open the camera app on the pixel that any audio you have playing stops?

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
if anyone is interested in grabbing a Pixel 3 or Pixel 3 XL for $300 off, please PM me as I have a promotional code from Google that I'm not going to use. I would imagine it only works in the USA but not 100% sure.

upload_2019-7-16_10-39-17.png

edit: added an important word

Last edited:
Reactions: Wide opeN

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Still mulling over the idea of rooting Q. Oh, might need the Canary version of magisk to do so.

I still haven't used this device much, just as a back up while my 2 is on the charger. Even less since it's not rooted.

Sigh, the more I think about it, the more I realize I don't really like this phone. I mean it's nice, I just don't know how to explain it. Maybe because I really wasn't interested in it when it was announced. :oops:

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Sigh, the more I think about it, the more I realize I don't really like this phone. I mean it's nice, I just don't know how to explain it. Maybe because I really wasn't interested in it when it was announced. :oops:

Its ok for me. Its fast...enough. The screen is ok..enough. The OS is fun and clean.

But the #1 thing is that camera blows away anything on the market and is truly the only reason i still use this phone.

Reactions: slitherjef

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Anyone else running Q notice it seems to be a bit more hungry? Seems I've been using the device a little less and battery life seems to tank a bit faster. Haven't pulled up battery stats to see what is eating the battery.

It's nothing major major, just noticable.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Anyone else running Q notice it seems to be a bit more hungry? Seems I've been using the device a little less and battery life seems to tank a bit faster. Haven't pulled up battery stats to see what is eating the battery.

It's nothing major major, just noticable.
I went back to stock because of the battery drain from the beta.

Just really love this phone....might not have the best specs or the best looking hardware. But for me it delivers the best overall user experience of any smartphone i have used to date.

I am sooooo looking forward to the Pixel 4!

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth

Just really love this phone....might not have the best specs or the best looking hardware. But for me it delivers the best overall user experience of any smartphone i have used to date.

So, how bad was the data wipe? :(

I've been thinking of going back to P myself. First time I've considered reverting since I've been tinkering with beta software. Mostly due to the rooting issue.

I'm curious on the 4, I hope it brings something to the table other then a decent camera backed by computational software.

I actually think I'm starting to get bored with phones o_O:(

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012

Me too, I'm just so satisfied with my Pixel 3 XL .It ticks all the boxes for me, stock Android being my fav version of Android. And the AMAZING camera is silly good. And monthly updates like clockwork. And overall it's just a smooth stable phone to use.

Yeah there are hits against the phone, the battery life is so so, not bad, not great .4GB RAM is too little today. The notch does suck, but honestly it doesn't bug me, when actually using the phone .Only when staring at the phone homescreen wallpaper is the notch totally noticable, otherwise it's pretty much hidden in web browsers and apps. And the display is good, but not great.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
So, how bad was the data wipe? :(

I've been thinking of going back to P myself. First time I've considered reverting since I've been tinkering with beta software. Mostly due to the rooting issue.

I'm curious on the 4, I hope it brings something to the table other then a decent camera backed by computational software.

I actually think I'm starting to get bored with phones o_O:(

The data wipe was painless to be honest. I went into the backup settings before installing the beta and forced a complete backup of P. After leaving the beta i used that backup to restore to from the cloud. Just had to sign back into a few apps again.

I agree with the bolded above. I am finding new phones don't hold the same excitement they used for me :(

Maybe because they just isn't a whole lot of new technology in the smartphone space or they are just getting so expensive to switch all the time lol :confused:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Me too, I'm just so satisfied with my Pixel 3 XL .It ticks all the boxes for me, stock Android being my fav version of Android. And the AMAZING camera is silly good. And monthly updates like clockwork. And overall it's just a smooth stable phone to use.

Yeah there are hits against the phone, the battery life is so so, not bad, not great .4GB RAM is too little today. The notch does suck, but honestly it doesn't bug me, when actually using the phone .Only when staring at the phone homescreen wallpaper is the notch totally noticable, otherwise it's pretty much hidden in web browsers and apps. And the display is good, but not great.
totally agree on all those points! :) I hope the P4 has a bigger battery and not just rely on software to make it better.

I have said it before and it is worth repeating....

IMHO....the Pixel lineup is more than just the sum of its parts. Good display but not the best display.....good battery life but needs improvement....good amount of ram but needs more.

But Google has managed to create a great blend of hardware and software that combine to make a great overall user experience!

Last edited:

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
My number one most wanted thing for the Pixel 4 XL is much improved battery life over the 3XL. The only reason I'd get rid of my pixel is because of mediocre battery life .

Seriously I'm not an iPhone guy whatsoever I hate iOS, but if the rumors for the iPhone 11 Max are true it's supposed to have a bigger battery and more efficient processor they're saying it should have outstanding battery life I'd be tempted to go that route maybe . The first the Pixel 4 XL is hands down my number on most wanted phone this year just please Google put a huge battery in there and make it efficient. but only way I would even think of an iPhone again would be with a jailbreak.

A 4,000mAh battery with the SD855 would be a great combo .
[doublepost=1563461058][/doublepost]https://store.google.com/us/config/pixel_3_case_fabric?hl=en-US

I just picked up the fog color fabric case for my 3XL and I have to say it's an amazing case really uniqueleaking up at tons of questions and comments on it .and much better than the pixel two version I had that one and it felt slippery of soap and this one has a better grip to it better quality

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
By the way all, I have ended up back on iOS as most of you could have predicted. Lol.

I have a Pixel Stand that I’ll be listing in the Marketplace soon, probably Monday. It’s in perfect shape as I originally got it from noobinator.

Gonna list it for $50 so I’ll give this thread first dibs.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia

Thank you for your honesty, but that sounds like a lot of compromises.

You MUST be a camera aficionado!?

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Thank you for your honesty, but that sounds like a lot of compromises.

You MUST be a camera aficionado!?

I'm actually a big stock Android nerd going back to having the Nexus-One. for whatever reason over the years trying different phones like the iPhone or Samsung Galaxy or HTC or LG. None of those felt right to me compared to a Nexus or Pixel or OnePlus phone .

Actually the biggest knock I have against my Pixel 3 XL would be the battery life, that's pretty much my only gripe. Everything else I love this phone. I wouldn't downgrade to an iPhone and no way get a Samsung Galaxy again.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Speaking of stock Android, does anyone have the base iso of th latest stock OnePlus 7 pro and latest pixel 3 XL pie sizes?

Just curious to how they compare.
The last OTA (it was full since I was rooted) on my 3 was about 1.3gb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.