Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Absolutely. Will definitely be bearing this in mind going forward after a phone call with John Lewis who have just told me there are no notes on my repair order and they have no update for me. Lol.
That's really poor. I'm sure a lot of people choose John Lewis for the extra year (sometimes extra 2) warranty they provide free.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I got.my Pixel 3 yesterday, well we'll both. I won one off eBay but that very day I saw a new in box 128 on OfferUp that I got for 350 so I couldn't pass it up. I'm selling the 64 to a friend. Is the night sight better on the 3 XL compared to the 2 XL? I took a test shot in my room last night and it seemed really good. I thought the 2 and 3 had the same camera

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Decided to try to root my XL 3 running Q and so far no luck. At least I don't have a brick right now. As a glutton for punishment, I'm also using Manjaro for my tinkering.

Not sure what the issue is, just magisk will not install. Using the absolute latest build of magisk from the Canary channel. I think I'm missing something.

I figured I'd try anyway since I'm one foot into opting out of the beta but really don't wanna wipe my device unless I have to.

Edit:
Sigh... I really can't help myself. I'm rooted! Took a couple of tries but finally got it. I think there was some leftovers that needed refreshing and a reboot to make sure. I'm really surprised I managed to use my Linux box. I figured if I break it like my XL 2, I know what to do.

Might look for a custom kernel since the 3 is basically my test bed now. It is beta software so... :eek:;)

Last edited:

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Honestly, I stopped rooting my phones about 3 years ago. In the early days it was a must to add missing features and improve performance. But now, I just don't see the benefit of rooting other than systemwide ad blocking which has rootless methods as well.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Still no update and still no Pixel 3 back. So it’s over 4 weeks now. Apparently, when I challenged them they said “we said 28 working days. Not 28 days.
Ok cool.

Never again.

Reactions: tonybarnaby

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Still no update and still no Pixel 3 back. So it’s over 4 weeks now. Apparently, when I challenged them they said “we said 28 working days. Not 28 days.
Ok cool.

Never again.
WOW...that is such poor customer service! Sorry that happened to you!
I would blast their social media pages with your experiences and their response to things.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Got the August security update today.
7aa5cb2bcba86e798910f68a8ff72ab6.jpg

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Where's Q beta 5?

I thought monthly security patches from Google, release on the first Monday of the month, and that the first Tuesday of the month is the new beta releases?

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Ok cool.

Never again.
If you have a twitter account you should blast them and I would love to chime in.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I tweeted them this morning and they haven’t replied. :D

I called and spent an hour on hold whilst they spent an hour on hold to the repair company and he then told me he is escalating with them and someone from back office will call me back in 24-48 hours.

So I send a phone away for repair over 4 weeks ago and they can’t tell me where it’s up to or why it’s taking so long despite three phone calls close to an hour each, and tweets.

I don’t think I will ever buy anything from John Lewis again. Cheapest price around or not.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I'd definitely be making sure I got some kind of voucher for the inconvenience. I'll harass a company out of principal until I'm satisfied. lol

Reactions: jamezr

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I'd definitely be making sure I got some kind of voucher for the inconvenience. I'll harass a company out of principal until I'm satisfied. lol

I mean I normally would too, but the repair receipt does say "customer is aware of up to 28 working day wait" - I just presumed that would be absolute worst case scenario. Not an actual time scale which it's looking like it is. :rolleyes:

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Just finishing installing Q beta 6, let's see how it is?

Ugh, still no swipe down anywhere on the homescreen to bring down the notification shade, like every frigging third party launcher has had for years.

Developers have said it was coming in Q 5 or Q6

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Just finishing installing Q beta 6, let's see how it is?

Ugh, still no swipe down anywhere on the homescreen to bring down the notification shade, like every frigging third party launcher has had for years.

Developers have said it was coming in Q 5 or Q6
Can't say I notice any difference with this latest update. Even changing the gestures sensitivity from the lowest to highest it seems the same!

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I really don't see any difference whatsoever in Q beta 6.

actually overall Android q versus Android pie I'm having a hard time really noticing what the big update is all about? I suppose system wide dark theme for sure and a few minor tweaks here there but I don't know what else?

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

actually overall Android q versus Android pie I'm having a hard time really noticing what the big update is all about? I suppose system wide dark theme for sure and a few minor tweaks here there but I don't know what else?

The new sharing menu is very nice.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016

Dark mode is a big plus for me, it really bugs me using certain iPad apps or Safari without it.

The only other thing I've noticed different about Q is the gestures. Which aside from an issue a couple of Betas ago, it's made my phone so much better to use.
[doublepost=1565204306][/doublepost]
The new sharing menu is very nice.
Not sure about every app but the share menu isn't available on Twitter, which I hope is resolved in the final version.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

as others have said, gestures and dark mode are the big ones. but there's a lot of updates going on under the hood with regards to privacy, permissions, etc. Just google the differences between Pie and Q. There's a decent list but most of them won't be noticed like dark mode and gestures.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
What do you actually do with root in 2019? I rooted back in the Nexus days but don't see a need now. It's nothing but a hassle for very little gain, if any.

Mostly to block obnoxious ads, and, well, if I'm being honest, because I can. To have some say over my device if that makes sense. Also I have the option to experiment with kernels and ROMs if I opt to do so. I've never used viper but I've thought about it because the volume from my devices are too low for me, though I'm not sure if viper will help. It needs root to use.

But, you are correct, it's getting annoying to stay updated and rooted and in almost every context, it's almost pointless to root nowadays for most people.

:)

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I tweeted them this morning and they haven’t replied. :D

I called and spent an hour on hold whilst they spent an hour on hold to the repair company and he then told me he is escalating with them and someone from back office will call me back in 24-48 hours.

So I send a phone away for repair over 4 weeks ago and they can’t tell me where it’s up to or why it’s taking so long despite three phone calls close to an hour each, and tweets.

I don’t think I will ever buy anything from John Lewis again. Cheapest price around or not.
twitter handle?

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Just got the beta 6 OTA prompt a little bit ago. Not sure if I'll attempt the install shortly before bed or wait until after work tomorrow... Not sure if it'll bork since I patched the boot image to root... o_O 264.3mb not too shabby.

Might be done trying to maintain root on this until the actual release is out and TWRP is available... :(

Edit: update failed and hit try again and now it's just spinning in circles. Gee, I wonder why :rolleyes:

Looks like I might have to go back to stock, or wait, reflash the stock boot image and hopefully that'll allow the update. Or maybe just start from p scratch by opting out of the beta. Don't seem to be much going on with Q anyway, other then the 3 nav buttons.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.