Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
One issue on Q6.

Text messages and Phone calls not coming in as Heads Up / Banner. Like if I'm typing this reply in my browser now, and I get a text, I don't see it, I just hear the beep and see the white text icon in upper left corner next to the clock in status bar.

Same with a incoming phone call, if I'm in my browser and I get a call now, I hear the phone ringing, but don't actually see the options for Answer, Decline, Screen Call. I only see the Phone icon up in status bar.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I wish they would give the option to move the quick action items to the right side of the screen.

For example, I want the "hang up" to be on the right side as I normally use my right hand when carrying my phone.

I also wish app makers would move other controls to the bottom of the screen, instead of the top. (Gmail delete icon for example)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190808-110016.png
    Screenshot_20190808-110016.png
    313.7 KB · Views: 117
  • Screenshot_20190808-110235.png
    Screenshot_20190808-110235.png
    271 KB · Views: 143

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Just got the beta 6 OTA prompt a little bit ago. Not sure if I'll attempt the install shortly before bed or wait until after work tomorrow... Not sure if it'll bork since I patched the boot image to root... o_O 264.3mb not too shabby.

Might be done trying to maintain root on this until the actual release is out and TWRP is available... :(

Edit: update failed and hit try again and now it's just spinning in circles. Gee, I wonder why :rolleyes:

Looks like I might have to go back to stock, or wait, reflash the stock boot image and hopefully that'll allow the update. Or maybe just start from p scratch by opting out of the beta. Don't seem to be much going on with Q anyway, other then the 3 nav buttons.
Do you spend more time going round in circles with botched rooting, updating, wiping etc than using your phone? Actual serious question.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Still no update and still no Pixel 3 back. So it’s over 4 weeks now. Apparently, when I challenged them they said “we said 28 working days. Not 28 days.
Ok cool.

Never again.

This is the stuff that worries me about Android ownership. When will Android OEM's get that customer service is as important as the product itself.

SMH.

Reactions: drinkingtea

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
This is the stuff that worries me about Android ownership. When will Android OEM's get that customer service is as important as the product itself.

SMH.
Agreed...but that problem is not exclusive to Android. Head over to the iPhone forums and people have similar issues with Apple when they don't have a store nearby or rely on authorized repair places to send their phones in to be repaired.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
For any one who's is interested... I'm trying to update again. I flashed the stock boot image and currently trying to see if that works. If not, probably going to have to just opt out of the beta and go back to pie...

I'm surprised I haven't borked this thing yet o_O

Edit: QPP6! And no surprises what I did once it actually updated :rolleyes:

Now that I remember the work flow, it's not so bad :) didn't have to wipe.

//

For me, this is fun, to see if I can with the tools I got. I'm using a new platform to do this stuff on. I guess in a way, it's a learning experience. Not only that, it's something to do, something to look forward to I suppose.

Last edited:

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Having some quality issues with my pixel 3 XL lately I bought it brand new from Google last October and several things battery life seems to suck lately My network T-Mobile connection is really seem ****** the last month or so but that's probably more carrier than the phone and now my charging port is real funky I've tried three different wires and I have to unplug it plug it back in it doesn't always start charging I have to revert to wireless charging

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
and now my charging port is real funky I've tried three different wires and I have to unplug it plug it back in it doesn't always start charging I have to revert to wireless charging

Which is why I don't want USB-C anywhere near iPhone. No thanks! This was the same problem with Micro-USB.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Having some quality issues with my pixel 3 XL lately I bought it brand new from Google last October and several things battery life seems to suck lately My network T-Mobile connection is really seem ****** the last month or so but that's probably more carrier than the phone and now my charging port is real funky I've tried three different wires and I have to unplug it plug it back in it doesn't always start charging I have to revert to wireless charging

I've noticed my battery gets chewed up pretty quickly also but I'm using Q and the device mostly as a video watcher. I think I read a couple reports of I think play services update has been chewing up battery life on some devices.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
hmm, was not aware of this USB-C issue and you're right, the cable seems to fit in looser now, compared to brand new it would click, and stick. And my ear buds I connect via usb-c, the past couple week or so, they kept cutting out listening to music, and would only happen when the phone moved around a lot.

I'm no iPhone fan, but is Thunderbolt port better or different ?

Or my other option, would be to get one of those super fast wireless charging pads

My finger print scanner also seems funky, like it works 60% to 70% first time, I need to move finger off, and back on again, whereas before it was damn near perfect, or 95% accurate. Actually I might prefer FaceID or something like that, it would avoid these finger print scan issues, and worse being at the pool with wet hands.

Last edited:

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
hmm, was not aware of this USB-C issue and you're right, the cable seems to fit in looser now, compared to brand new it would click, and stick. And my ear buds I connect via usb-c, the past couple week or so, they kept cutting out listening to music, and would only happen when the phone moved around a lot.

I'm no iPhone fan, but is Thunderbolt port better or different ?

Or my other option, would be to get one of those super fast wireless charging pads

My finger print scanner also seems funky, like it works 60% to 70% first time, I need to move finger off, and back on again, whereas before it was damn near perfect, or 95% accurate. Actually I might prefer FaceID or something like that, it would avoid these finger print scan issues, and worse being at the pool with wet hands.

iPhone uses lightning ports/cable for charging. It is in almost all ways inferior to USB-C.
[doublepost=1565625624][/doublepost]
Which is why I don't want USB-C anywhere near iPhone. No thanks! This was the same problem with Micro-USB.

USB-C is superior to lightning cables in just about every way imaginable. Data transfer speed, double side reversable, higher wattages (faster charging), etc.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
So is it just a matter of Google not supplying a high quality USB-C port inside their phones? Are there different grades or lower end and higher end ports that manufactures can build into their phone?

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
So is it just a matter of Google not supplying a high quality USB-C port inside their phones? Are there different grades or lower end and higher end ports that manufactures can build into their phone?

Sure, it could totally be a hardware defect with the phone port or connector on the cable they provided.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I've been using USB-C devices about 4 years now (back to the Nexus 5x) and I can't recall a single instance where it wouldn't charge when plugged in. Sometimes ports go bad or cables go bad but for me it's never happened in all this time.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I've been using USB-C devices about 4 years now (back to the Nexus 5x) and I can't recall a single instance where it wouldn't charge when plugged in. Sometimes ports go bad or cables go bad but for me it's never happened in all this time.

Its rare but Google arent exactly known for excellent quality control.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
So it’s working day 28 on Wednesday and I haven’t heard a peep about my Pixel 3.

What do you think then? My plan was to go to the store on Wednesday night and ask where it was. Then if if not presented back to me, I was going to telling them that I refuse to leave until they provide me with a replacement device.

Is that out of order? Am I in my right to do that? The note they gave me says “up to 28 working days” and I haven’t heard anything nor have I got my phone back. I’ve attempted to make contact 4 times with customer services who each time have tried to call the repair centre and have failed to provide me with an update each time like they said they would.

It’s been an absolute farce.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
So it’s working day 28 on Wednesday and I haven’t heard a peep about my Pixel 3.

What do you think then? My plan was to go to the store on Wednesday night and ask where it was. Then if if not presented back to me, I was going to telling them that I refuse to leave until they provide me with a replacement device.

Is that out of order? Am I in my right to do that? The note they gave me says “up to 28 working days” and I haven’t heard anything nor have I got my phone back. I’ve attempted to make contact 4 times with customer services who each time have tried to call the repair centre and have failed to provide me with an update each time like they said they would.

I'd go in on day 30 and do what you said. That way they can't say they will get back to you by the end of the day or talk about how today is only day 27 because they calculated the time frame using another method. On day 30, they are screwed no matter what they say.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth

Maybe file a complaint with the BBB also

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
This is a good one for you all.

Working day 28 today, so called repair line again and once again waited on hold whilst they contacted the repair centre for an update.

They told me it was returned to store today. With “no fault found”.

So 6 weeks of a phone being in for a repair for a known issue that’s all over the internet and they couldn’t replicate the fault. So now I’ve got to apparently test it myself and if it does it again guess what? Send it back in for repair. Hahahahahahahahaha yeah ok.

The store haven’t contacted me to say it’s been returned by the way. Just to add to the fantastic service. Found that one out myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.