Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
This is a good one for you all.

Working day 28 today, so called repair line again and once again waited on hold whilst they contacted the repair centre for an update.

They told me it was returned to store today. With “no fault found”.

So 6 weeks of a phone being in for a repair for a known issue that’s all over the internet and they couldn’t replicate the fault. So now I’ve got to apparently test it myself and if it does it again guess what? Send it back in for repair. Hahahahahahahahaha yeah ok.

The store haven’t contacted me to say it’s been returned by the way. Just to add to the fantastic service. Found that one out myself.

How utterly frustrating! I bet they didn't even touch it. I'd still suggest contacting the BBB but it probably won't be worth the bbbs time.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
This is a good one for you all.

Working day 28 today, so called repair line again and once again waited on hold whilst they contacted the repair centre for an update.

They told me it was returned to store today. With “no fault found”.

So 6 weeks of a phone being in for a repair for a known issue that’s all over the internet and they couldn’t replicate the fault. So now I’ve got to apparently test it myself and if it does it again guess what? Send it back in for repair. Hahahahahahahahaha yeah ok.

The store haven’t contacted me to say it’s been returned by the way. Just to add to the fantastic service. Found that one out myself.
Soooooo frustrating!

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Yeah not sure what BBB is.
To add to my frustrations, I've got the Pixel back now after causing a scene on collection, and it won't update. I think it's trying to do a security update but I'm getting a "cannot install system update". I've tried on wifi, off wifi, but nothing works.

Urgh.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
BBB = Better Business Bureau

Sort of a rating system for businesses in US, Mexico, and Canada to verify companies and charities are reputable.

Reactions: Aneres11

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
The google feed has disappeared from my 3 XL, what the heck is going on?? Or whatever it is called, when I swipe from the left

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
The google feed has disappeared from my 3 XL, what the heck is going on?? Or whatever it is called, when I swipe from the left

Hold down on the home screen and click Home Settings. Make sure the option is selected.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190815-202332.png
    Screenshot_20190815-202332.png
    105.4 KB · Views: 122
Reactions: Tig Bitties

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
So my Pixel 3 still hasn't been able to install any security / system update since I got it back from repair.
I've now raised an official complaint with John Lewis due to this and they advised there was an internal error which resulted in the phone being stuck at the repair centre for the whole 28 working days.

I told them there was no way I was sending it for repair again, when this second fault has now developed when it was in their care. However, that is my only option.

I just chatted with Google on the chat function in settings (so cool, btw) and they did some troubleshooting and it still won't update. They've advised me to do a factory reset and try again. If it still doesn't work I'm to contact them again.

Sigh.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
So my Pixel 3 still hasn't been able to install any security / system update since I got it back from repair.
I've now raised an official complaint with John Lewis due to this and they advised there was an internal error which resulted in the phone being stuck at the repair centre for the whole 28 working days.

I told them there was no way I was sending it for repair again, when this second fault has now developed when it was in their care. However, that is my only option.

I just chatted with Google on the chat function in settings (so cool, btw) and they did some troubleshooting and it still won't update. They've advised me to do a factory reset and try again. If it still doesn't work I'm to contact them again.

Sigh.
What a nightmare!

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Update. Google asked me to try a factory reset which didn't help - updates could still not be installed.

They asked me for proof of repair which I emailed over to them when I got in from work.

They then advised that I can return my device to them and they will send me out a replacement in 10-15 days.

Fantastic. :)
At last, some good service!
It means I can now tell John Lewis to go and **** themselves (which I will be doing) - but it does also mean I'm going to be without a phone for two weeks. So I shall order one tonight, and return it within 14 days until my new Pixel 3 comes in!
I may take a punt on any random phone that piques my interest given that I'll just be returning it.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Update. Google asked me to try a factory reset which didn't help - updates could still not be installed.

They asked me for proof of repair which I emailed over to them when I got in from work.

They then advised that I can return my device to them and they will send me out a replacement in 10-15 days.

Fantastic. :)
At last, some good service!
It means I can now tell John Lewis to go and **** themselves (which I will be doing) - but it does also mean I'm going to be without a phone for two weeks. So I shall order one tonight, and return it within 14 days until my new Pixel 3 comes in!
I may take a punt on any random phone that piques my interest given that I'll just be returning it.

Think the phones issue has anything to do with your L-O-C........:D

Glad to hear they are resolving for you, but sucks you had to go through all that. Frustrating!

Reactions: tbayrgs and jamezr

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Think the phones issue has anything to do with your L-O-C........:D

Glad to hear they are resolving for you, but sucks you had to go through all that. Frustrating!

You're blocked...

:D

Yes, very frustrating, but glad Google can provide a resolution.

Reactions: nospleen

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Do I need to leave the beta and go back to stock to receive the update? Or if being on Android Q beta 6, will I still get the official release?

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Do I need to leave the beta and go back to stock to receive the update? Or if being on Android Q beta 6, will I still get the official release?

honestly, I'm not 100% sure. I'd wait until the OTAs start hitting phones and see what yours does. I would hate for you to take all the time to go back to pie and then 10 right away. I'll update here when it hits my 3a. I'm on stock pie

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Side-loaded Android 10 onto my 3a, all is well. First thing I did was set all my apps except for Google to only use location while using said apps. Interested to read reports of everyone's battery life on 10 vs. 9. Please post experiences!

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Just done my 41mb update for Android Q final release. Still took almost an hour to complete everything. One thing I hoped would come back is dark mode for Instagram via the force dark option. Sadly it's still light.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.