Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
1yo Pixel 3 front facing wide camera v.s iPhone 11 Pro Max new wide angle camera.

MVIMG_20190921_154828 copy.jpg

IMG_0035 2.jpeg

I am strongly looking forward to seeing how the Pixel 4 does with a rear facing wide camera. For now, I may have to continue doing the awkward process of turning my phone around for wide shots in restaurants and other public places for my Google maps reviews.

My office is far from dark, but the iPhone is going WAY overboard with noise reduction, is far too warm on white balance, and just lacks the detail. Sad that the Microscopic wide front facing camera of the Pixel can pull in more detail.

I remember when Steve Jobs would often say something along the lines of "The back of our device looks far better than the front of our competition". Sadly, the back camera doesn't do as well as the front of their competition ;) .

Reactions: Heat_Fan89

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I thought it’s expected to have a zoom lens, not ultrawide for the second lens?
Good point, I forgot about that, and perhaps secretly I am hoping rumors are wrong with the 2nd camera actually being wide angle. Regardless, I figured it was odd how poorly the Pro's camera does in low light with the wide angle.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
1yo Pixel 3 front facing wide camera v.s iPhone 11 Pro Max new wide angle camera.

View attachment 861848
View attachment 861849

I am strongly looking forward to seeing how the Pixel 4 does with a rear facing wide camera. For now, I may have to continue doing the awkward process of turning my phone around for wide shots in restaurants and other public places for my Google maps reviews.

My office is far from dark, but the iPhone is going WAY overboard with noise reduction, is far too warm on white balance, and just lacks the detail. Sad that the Microscopic wide front facing camera of the Pixel can pull in more detail.

I remember when Steve Jobs would often say something along the lines of "The back of our device looks far better than the front of our competition". Sadly, the back camera doesn't do as well as the front of their competition ;) .
More lens flare in the pixel photo, fwiw.

Reactions: 840quadra

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016

View attachment 861848
View attachment 861849

I don't own either Phone (actually looking forward to next years Pixel 4a XL) but IMO, I prefer the picture taken with the Pixel 3. It shows a little more fine detail (sharper image), it looks cleaner/clearer.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
So, anyone get the latest update today? A 2.4mb update that fixes "critical bugs" it was pushed to my XL 3 today and attempted it install and update itself without asking me first. It failed.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I bought a Mavic Pro and can not get the DJI app to work with my Pixel 3. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app, anyone here with a P3 XL and a Mavic?

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Got yet ANOTHER OTA on this thing through the night. I just did an update I think not even 2 weeks ago.

I've pretty much unrooted this thing and use it for YouTube and maybe a quicky Twitter check while my main device is on to charge.

I have to ponder out loud, why have a pixel device (well, multiple) when root is basically a moot point and getting to be a waste of time to maintain. ?

Maybe my next device (should I ever figure out which one) won't be a pixel.

The 4 I am really on the fence and almost about to hop off.

My XL 2 still working.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tig Bitties

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Screenshot_20191011-200142.png

[automerge]1570842354[/automerge]
Call me crazy, but still digging my Pixel 3 XL a year now

I went to a local T-Mobile store downtown Chicago tonight just window shop, looked at all the hot new phones and honestly nothing impressed me, not saying my 3 XL is better, no but I'm just comfortable with stock Android and the Pixel line I really don't want any other phone.

Even the OnePlus 7 Pro didn't blow me away.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
$299 for a 3a is hard to beat. I've wanted a smaller phone to try out for a while now. How is the signal on the 3a on T-Mobile (or in general)? I'm always on 1-2 bars on my iPhone 8+

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
Gmail darkmode showed up on my Pixel 3XL today! Hooray

This was my first Android phone and I'm liking it more and more each day. Paused on Google Fi

Still have a 7 Plus.

If another gift card deal comes around Black Friday/Cyber Monday I'll get a 4XL

If not I'm good.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Went to T-Mobile to pick up a white 3a for $299. Not only did they not have the white in stock, they said if you buy in store you have to pay an extra $20 fee. There is no fee if you buy online. What kind of BS is that? It’s only $20, but it’s still dumb. The salesman literally told me to just order online. I waited half an hour in line to be told to buy online. Now I’m wondering if the 4a (if it’s comes) will be a better use of my money seeing as I have 2 phones and don’t need another. I just really want to try a pixel. I love the 3xl, but not for the prices it still gets.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Found a new (replacement) 3xl on swappa for $375 with no charger but still in the wrap. Hard to pull the trigger when I know it won’t last me all day.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Save a little bit, wait until the 3 goes on sale from Google and pick one up. Why? You will get support from Google and a warranty instead of picking up a used one with a used battery that might have issues.

Or get the 3a also from Google.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Save a little bit, wait until the 3 goes on sale from Google and pick one up. Why? You will get support from Google and a warranty instead of picking up a used one with a used battery that might have issues.

Or get the 3a also from Google.
The one for $375 on swappa is brand new (replacement) but no charger. As I understand it, there is no warranty because the original owner said he wouldn’t transfer it. Seems good, but if it has an issue it’s basically a brick. I kind of want to try a smaller phone, but if the 4a gets the 90hz screen I will feel like I wasted my money on a 3a.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
On the second thought, with how choppy and stuttery my XL 3 has become since Android 10 rolled out, probably going to have some trouble recommending it. My XL 2 runs better.

The 3 has been my main YouTube watcher and tonight audio on a video I was watching started becoming choppy. Scrolling the same. Noticed on my lock screen the notification panel very jittery (noted above).

It's on the latest update. Just updated YouTube will see if that works. Heck, this thing is starting to run like my Nexus 6 that I've retired.

Since I've unrooted and since basically everything is a giant advertising platform anyway, I've found myself even less inclined to pick up this device, the stuttering is only making it worse.

Meh, sorry just a bit frustrated at the moment.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
On the second thought, with how choppy and stuttery my XL 3 has become since Android 10 rolled out, probably going to have some trouble recommending it. My XL 2 runs better.

The 3 has been my main YouTube watcher and tonight audio on a video I was watching started becoming choppy. Scrolling the same. Noticed on my lock screen the notification panel very jittery (noted above).

It's on the latest update. Just updated YouTube will see if that works. Heck, this thing is starting to run like my Nexus 6 that I've retired.

Since I've unrooted and since basically everything is a giant advertising platform anyway, I've found myself even less inclined to pick up this device, the stuttering is only making it worse.

Meh, sorry just a bit frustrated at the moment.
It’s a shame how much frustration appears to go along with the pixel experience. The pixel sub on Reddit is always full of RMA threads

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Seems to have behaved better today. Maybe it was the updated YouTube app? Strange it'd just start going sideways when an update is available.

Right off the bat, I have to say I was never really enamored with the 3. I hadn't planned on getting it.

It does see the charger almost daily because I usually run it down on watching vids on it.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
A co worker has a 2 week old 3a xl and offered to trade for my 8+ that is a year old and mint condition with 99% battery. It's worth around $375 on swappa, and a new 3a xl is about that price at TMobile. Will the 3a xl be pleasant to use in 2 years? I tend to think the iPhone will age better, even considering it's older. Camera is at the bottom of my list

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Picked up the 3a for $299 today and my 11 year old LOVES it compared to her 8+. So I gave it to her and I’ll sell her 8+ for about $350. This phone will get Android 11 and maybe 12?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.