Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Speaking of stock Android, does anyone have the base iso of th latest stock OnePlus 7 pro and latest pixel 3 XL pie sizes?

Just curious to how they compare.
The last OTA (it was full since I was rooted) on my 3 was about 1.3gb
There's an XDA site that has the OP7 Pro images. I just looked and the latest 9.5.10 file is 2gb.

Reactions: slitherjef

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Still running Q, I haven't really felt up to messing with things. Been watching YouTube (sheesh, don't I do anything else? Lol :rolleyes::confused:) and noticed sometimes the video of what I'm watching will display a grab of another clip that was near it, usually when paused o_O it will play the correct video but sometimes show something else

I don't know if this makes sense?

It's really weird. Maybe because I'm watching too much stuff and not being productive and everything is blending together like my work days :eek:

Reactions: Tig Bitties

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I bid on a Pixel 3 XL on eBay and won but didn't know eBay is now charging sakes tax in my state, ended up paying about 40 or so in taxes! Are there any tempered glass protectors that fit good on this phone?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Yeah I looked on swappa and could have got one cheaper. When I bid it was with 20 seconds and I thought I was entering 315 but put 3115 and my winning bid ended up being 355 plus tax. I would have for sure been better off buying on swappa, wish I knew about taxes. One thing I noticed when looking for Pixel 's were a ton of them had this awful pink tint

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Yeah I looked on swappa and could have got one cheaper. When I bid it was with 20 seconds and I thought I was entering 315 but put 3115 and my winning bid ended up being 355 plus tax. I would have for sure been better off buying on swappa, wish I knew about taxes. One thing I noticed when looking for Pixel 's were a ton of them had this awful pink tint
The fact you accidentally typed in 3115 is all the reason you need to cancel the sale if you want to.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I bid on a Pixel 3 XL on eBay and won but didn't know eBay is now charging sakes tax in my state, ended up paying about 40 or so in taxes! Are there any tempered glass protectors that fit good on this phone?

They may have fixed it for the 3XL, Whitestone Dome Glass is the best. When I had my 3XL the company went to a cheaper install method and adhesive for some reason, I was ready to swear them off. Used it again on an S10e and OnePlus 7 Pro and both installs have been quality and flawless.

Whatever you do stay away from Zagg. I caved and bought one for my 3a. It's advertised as having oleophobic coating. Not so much. It collects streaks and rainbows / grease just like a cheap film.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
I've had my Pixel 3 XL for about eight days now, and I have to say I don't love it as much as I did my Pixel 2 XL. Perhaps it's just sentimental value, but it just doesn't feel as special. I can definitely say that, while I 100% prefer the display panel, louder speakers, and better camera on the 3 XL, I like the physical design of the 2 XL much better. The display cutout (notch) just feels unnecessary, especially since the most appealing use of that space renders it useless. Of course, when using the developer option to hide the cutout, the part of the display panel that's not lit up is just different enough from the actual bezel to stick out like a sore thumb in the right light.

Reactions: slitherjef

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
It is three weeks tomorrow since I took my Pixel 3 to John Lewis for them to send it for repair. They said ‘up to 28 days’ in terms of a time scale, but I haven’t heard anything since.
The guy who sent it for repair last time was the most unhelpful, lazy, useless employee I’ve probably ever dealt with so it wouldn’t surprise me if it was back and they just couldn’t be bothered to inform me.

I’m going to call them tomorrow to check for an update.

During this time, I’ve been using an iPhone XR. I can’t actually believe how much I’m missing my Pixel 3. The main things are the camera. The size and weight. The haptics (when typing), google feed on a swipe right and Android notifications.

This XR is just so big, so heavy and generally very cumbersome compared to the Pixel 3. I think the Pixel 3 is almost perfect in terms of size (for me). So one hand friendly.
I miss that camera so so much. I bake a lot, and I instagram pictures a lot. Portrait mode comes in very handy. I’ve always found portrait mode on iPhones (X / XR) to be pretty garbage. Hate that you have to be really far away from the subject. Pixels portrait mode remains the best I’ve ever used and I miss it so much.

iPhone keyboard is just rubbish without haptics like the Gboard. I downloaded Gboard but I don’t like it on iPhone. It was nice to feel the haptics again, but I couldn’t get accustomed to it on iPhone so switched back.

It’s left me in a tricky predicament for the upcoming iPhones and Pixel 4. Usually, I always opt for iPhone in October and then do around 4-6 months with it before switching to android (generally always Pixel). But I’m really starting to feel ios fatigue now and I actually can’t wait to get my Pixel back.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s parts of the XR I’ve enjoyed again. Battery life, compatabiiity with AirPods and my Apple Watch. But if I’m honest, my Apple Watch hasn’t been the deal breaker I thought it would. I thought wearing it again would make me want to return to iOS but if anything, it’s just annoyed me. Constantly sending me notifications to breathe, stand up, close my rings. I don’t want to. Plus, not all notifications come through on it which has been annoying.

Sorry for the long post. I guess I really am smitten with my Pixel 3 - which I always knew before it went in for repair, but this just underlined it further. I hope it will be replaced as a new one would be more ideal than it being repaired ha.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
It is three weeks tomorrow since I took my Pixel 3 to John Lewis for them to send it for repair. They said ‘up to 28 days’ in terms of a time scale, but I haven’t heard anything since.
The guy who sent it for repair last time was the most unhelpful, lazy, useless employee I’ve probably ever dealt with so it wouldn’t surprise me if it was back and they just couldn’t be bothered to inform me.

During this time, I’ve been using an iPhone XR. I can’t actually believe how much I’m missing my Pixel 3. The main things are the camera. The size and weight. The haptics (when typing), google feed on a swipe right and Android notifications.

This XR is just so big, so heavy and generally very cumbersome compared to the Pixel 3. I think the Pixel 3 is almost perfect in terms of size (for me). So one hand friendly.
I miss that camera so so much. I bake a lot, and I instagram pictures a lot. Portrait mode comes in very handy. I’ve always found portrait mode on iPhones (X / XR) to be pretty garbage. Hate that you have to be really far away from the subject. Pixels portrait mode remains the best I’ve ever used and I miss it so much.

iPhone keyboard is just rubbish without haptics like the Gboard. I downloaded Gboard but I don’t like it on iPhone. It was nice to feel the haptics again, but I couldn’t get accustomed to it on iPhone so switched back.

It’s left me in a tricky predicament for the upcoming iPhones and Pixel 4. Usually, I always opt for iPhone in October and then do around 4-6 months with it before switching to android (generally always Pixel). But I’m really starting to feel ios fatigue now and I actually can’t wait to get my Pixel back.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s parts of the XR I’ve enjoyed again. Battery life, compatabiiity with AirPods and my Apple Watch. But if I’m honest, my Apple Watch hasn’t been the deal breaker I thought it would. I thought wearing it again would make me want to return to iOS but if anything, it’s just annoyed me. Constantly sending me notifications to breathe, stand up, close my rings. I don’t want to. Plus, not all notifications come through on it which has been annoying.

Sorry for the long post. I guess I really am smitten with my Pixel 3 - which I always knew before it went in for repair, but this just underlined it further. I hope it will be replaced as a new one would be more ideal than it being repaired ha.
Keyboard haptics is something I miss so much on my iPhone. It’s such a great feature. I’m surprised that Apple, with its leading haptics engine, hasn’t implemented haptics in the keyboard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aneres11

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013

I'm in the same spot as you. The Pixel is such a joy to use that I have now twice thought that I wanted to go back to the iPhone and ended up missing the Pixel. It's a smarter phone with a better camera.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aneres11

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Did you not at least contact Google first to see what kind of time frame they do repairs / replacements in?

Why would I? I didn’t buy it from Google. It was bought from John Lewis who advised me it could be up to 28 days so it seems pointless to cal Google to ask them when it wasn’t bought from them.
[doublepost=1564302529][/doublepost]
Keyboard haptics is something I miss so much on my iPhone. It’s such a great feature. I’m surprised that Apple, with its leading haptics engine, hasn’t implemented haptics in the keyboard.

It’s very strange as the iPhone has unbelievable haptics and I still think it’s the best keyboard on any phone. But now I’m used to the vibrate on key press, it feels like it’s severely lacking.

Hopefully they implement it one day.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Why would I? I didn’t buy it from Google. It was bought from John Lewis who advised me it could be up to 28 days so it seems pointless to cal Google to ask them when it wasn’t bought from them.
[doublepost=1564302529][/doublepost]

It’s very strange as the iPhone has unbelievable haptics and I still think it’s the best keyboard on any phone. But now I’m used to the vibrate on key press, it feels like it’s severely lacking.

Hopefully they implement it one day.
Because it's still a Google product who would deal with their faulty products. A simple phone call that could have got you your phone back a lot quicker is hardly pointless. Not having a go, just could have saved you stress it's obviously causing.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Because it's still a Google product who would deal with their faulty products. A simple phone call that could have got you your phone back a lot quicker is hardly pointless. Not having a go, just could have saved you stress it's obviously causing.

I would never have thought to go to Google as it wasn’t bought from them. I had a faulty Apple product once that was bought from Curry’s and they wouldn’t do anything with it and told me to go to Curry’s, so I certainly didn’t think Google would take a John Lewis bought item on.

And it’s hardly ‘stress’. I simply miss using it day to day.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
I would never have thought to go to Google as it wasn’t bought from them. I had a faulty Apple product once that was bought from Curry’s and they wouldn’t do anything with it and told me to go to Curry’s, so I certainly didn’t think Google would take a John Lewis bought item on.

I had the opposite experience not long after getting my iPhone X from an EE store, Face ID stopped working so I returned it to them, they wanted to send it away for repair as I was out with the exchange timeframe. I declined and drove 45 minutes to the Aberdeen Apple store and within 10 minutes I walked out with a new iPhone X.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016

I know people who've done this with Pixels and Pixelbooks with a 1-2 week turnaround. Google told me as well. The only diffetence is Google will send out a replacement first if bought direct.

Maybe not stress but you wouldn't have to be without the phone you like so much for as long. Just something to think about the next time you have any issues.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I know people who've done this with Pixels and Pixelbooks with a 1-2 week turnaround. Google told me as well. The only diffetence is Google will send out a replacement first if bought direct.

Maybe not stress but you wouldn't have to be without the phone you like so much for as long. Just something to think about the next time you have any issues.

Absolutely. Will definitely be bearing this in mind going forward after a phone call with John Lewis who have just told me there are no notes on my repair order and they have no update for me. Lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.