Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

khikhz144

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2022
Okay, that didn't last long. Back to the Pixel Launcher. It's just so much smoother. The quote on the left is my favorite quote from my favorite piece of literature, Milton's Paradise Lost. (I love reading.)
I have read that pixel launcher is the only launcher that properly supports gesters correctly for pixel 6 so that might be why it is smoother

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I have read that pixel launcher is the only launcher that properly supports gesters correctly for pixel 6 so that might be why it is smoother
Might be but I didn't really like the Pixel Launcher. It isn't awful though. I believe it was that it only gave me notification dots and not the numbers to show how many. I don't want just a dot.
I've been using the Microsoft launcher for a while now. Really like that one and that's after using Nova for years.

ZD_plguy17

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2019
Google integration is best. I just switched to Pixel last year after dropping the whole Apple garden. I cannot go back to iOS with what Pixel offered. First point being saving a bucket loads of ££ on my habit of getting accessories. I even used to have pitaka air case for AW and you could guess the level of consumption with iOS
I dropped my feet wet back into pixel world but keeping my iphone and split half time between iphone and pixel with switch at weekly/biweekly intervals. I have my own setup little ecosystem that makes it possible to exchange iMessage from Android using own Mac setup. The conundrum is with deciding what smartwatch should get. I still have Galaxy watch 1 but I am interested in both AW7/8 and Pixel Watch and unfortunately both are tied only to either iOS or Androd respectively. So I would have either to get both Bluetooth or one cellular, could get little expensive unless I settle for either Apple Watch SE but that AOD on AW7/8 intrigues me. Otherwise whatever features one watch lacks, the other would have it. Perhaps I should just go with vendor neutral Fossil, Fitbit or Garmin watch?

Reactions: Tig Bitties

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I'm looking for recommendations on a tempered glass protector and a case. I have an OtterBox that says Drop + on it and while I have not busted my screen I have developed a black spot that spread and luckily Google authorized a repair at ubreakit so I need to either get a tempered glass to go with this OtterBox or buy one that will have even better protection.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Perhaps I should just go with vendor neutral Fossil, Fitbit or Garmin watch?
Fossil uses WearOS from Google and Fitbit was bought by Google. I can absolutely recommend the Garmin watches, but they cost quite a bit and aren't very rich in features. Supposedly they do have a way to pay with the watch on the go, but I have never tried it. You'd have to accept their limited OS/UI, it's nowhere near as intuitive as the Apple Watch one. I also had Fossil smartwatches with WearOS and it was the worst garbage, the chip in there was so slow it was really unusable.

Reactions: ZD_plguy17

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
I don’t any photographer including myself who would take Pixel photo that is over processed with less detail. No DSLR or mirrorless will HDR the sky like that and it looks unnatural.
You obviously are not a photographer. The sky in the iPhone picture is completely blown out and overexposed to the point you can’t see any of the blue in the sky. The iPhone is well known for doing that

Sweatypalms557

Suspended
Sep 18, 2022
You obviously are not a photographer. The sky in the iPhone picture is completely blown out and overexposed to the point you can’t see any of the blue in the sky. The iPhone is well known for doing that
Nothing Lightroom can’t fix. The obsession with overexposed skies is tiring.

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX

Attachments

• AF6D2C61-7772-49F1-B81A-D248C30BE664.jpeg
    AF6D2C61-7772-49F1-B81A-D248C30BE664.jpeg
    301.1 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: Tig Bitties

salutcemoi

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2021
Pixel photos are overprocessed and there is too much contrast imo; not a big deal, editing photos is easy

On another topic, reverse wireless charging is not reliable and sometimes it toggles itself off lol

khikhz144

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2022
Fossil uses WearOS from Google and Fitbit was bought by Google. I can absolutely recommend the Garmin watches, but they cost quite a bit and aren't very rich in features. Supposedly they do have a way to pay with the watch on the go, but I have never tried it. You'd have to accept their limited OS/UI, it's nowhere near as intuitive as the Apple Watch one. I also had Fossil smartwatches with WearOS and it was the worst garbage, the chip in there was so slow it was really unusable.
What Gen was your fossil?

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
What Gen was your fossil?
Gen 4, they probably/hopefully use a much faster chip nowadays but regardless, the build quality was lackluster with some of these models actually falling apart on their own after a while. I think there was a known issue where the back had a chance to come off when placing it on the charger.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
If anyone is interested, I have a couple of pixel 6 Pro cases that I will no longer be using since I switch over to the P7..
8cb96952811c8db7de905b00b67c5bd7.jpg
49f1b62bb0525e117c2340740f07d9d1.jpg
4aa7e089ef2ef71a23177bff0d7239bb.jpg
ef0e173afef7cb9a8cbc2f4f682147b5.jpg
0050b736088f67c8c16349ff56f3046e.jpg
It'd be a shame to waste some good cases so I'm just bumping this up a little bit. Maybe someone in the US wants to try a different case so please hit me up

Reactions: nospleen

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I must've run over Mr Murphy because i've been hit twice by Murphy's Law. My OG Pixel 6 crapped out last year and Google sent me a new replacement. That one had a screen flickering problem.

The replacement they sent me also crapped out. This morning I was using it to stream some music and later on I started getting notifications that I couldn't make any phone calls/text. So I looked and it said my NVMO Mint Mobile was temporarily unavailable. So I got into a chat session with Mint support and they were great. They had me try a bunch of things that did not fix the problem. So they sent me a replacement SIM card.

In the back of my mind I started to ask myself, why not try the SIM card in another phone? I figured the phone had NO damage. So after completing the chat, I tried the SIM in my Pixel 4a 5G and I got a signal. So I thought well maybe Android 13 got wonky so i'll reset it to factory. No signal, so I put the SIM card back in the 4a 5G and I got a signal again.

So that's two Pixel 6's that have given up the ghost. I plan on using it as a trade on the Pixel 8 Pro next year. I hope they don't check to see if the SIM card works. :eek:

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
I must've run over Mr Murphy because i've been hit twice by Murphy's Law.
I have noticed this myself, either devices are flawless from the first day to the last day and never need repairs. Or you have an issue and get stuck in support hell when the replacement fails again later. Of course anecdotal evidence isn't evidence so it's probably coincidences, but the replacement phone you got might have been refurbished, so it has a higher chance of having issues than a new one.

Reactions: 5105973

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I have noticed this myself, either devices are flawless from the first day to the last day and never need repairs. Or you have an issue and get stuck in support hell when the replacement fails again later. Of course anecdotal evidence isn't evidence so it's probably coincidences, but the replacement phone you got might have been refurbished, so it has a higher chance of having issues than a new one.
The replacement was definitely new although Google did state it could be a refurbished phone and I was prepared for that. The failure happened about three weeks after I received it and it got progressively got worse and by the time I took action I was outside the return window by a few days. This was a launch Pixel 6 and its replacement came in the box retail box and had the white paper screen shield installed and the security tabs were also in place I had to cut open. Refurbished Pixel phones come in a generic white box so that told me the replacement was a new phone.

It's probably a coincidence but wow, two phones and both failed within the year. The first one didn't last a month before going bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.