Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When should we call time of death on AVP?

• Now, it’s hard to turn this ship around

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • 1-3 months, Apple will ignore it in their financial updates

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • 3-6 months, when YouTube, Spotify etc still boycott

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • 1 year, when there is no gen 2 and a price drop

Votes: 48 30.4%
  • 2 years when OP prophesied

Votes: 25 15.8%
  • I will never accept it even when it happens

Votes: 53 33.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

desslr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 11, 2021
I was panned on here for rightfully declaring the Vision Pro DOA (dead on arrival) a few weeks ago.

A lot of the pushback was on the fact it hadn’t actually released yet.

Well now it has, and my two year prophecy is already looking generous!

The reviews are, on the whole, poor.

The return rates are rumoured to be sky high. This is likely to stop any launch in the UK or Europe where consumer rights are much stronger than in the USA.

It’s time to be brave and answer the inevitable question now of when, not if, we call time of death.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
Calling it DOA two weeks in when Apple has already said they only intend on producing and selling less than a million units of a device this year globally is beyond comical. Apple isn’t in this for the short haul. To suggest otherwise is absurd. If you dislike the device that much why post here? Seems like a massive waste of time to me….

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
I think a full year at least

Apple is pretty darned good at letting products wither on the vine

See: MacPro, HomePod, AirPods Max, Mac Monitors ... the list is long

Reactions: desslr and iLuddite

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
It’s a good substitute for the lost meaning of life. Just like iPhones, iPads, Android phones, games, tv shows and all the other crap that help people bury their heads in the sand. Let’s see if the new form factor is more appealing than the old ones. Old **** in new form.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
I was panned on here for rightfully declaring the Vision Pro DOA (dead on arrival) a few weeks ago.

If ever there was something worthy of an eye roll. My man, everything you said is just that, things you said. There's no numbers or anything to back it up. The Vision Pro is awesome. Yeah, it's pricy, I'm sure that, and its form factor will change in the future, but otherwise, all this post is, is your Steve Balmer moment.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO

The return rates are rumoured to be sky high. This is likely to stop any launch in the UK or Europe where consumer rights are much stronger than in the USA.

It’s time to be brave and answer the inevitable question now of when, not if, we call time of death.
We live in a world in which data convey authority. But authority has a way of descending to certitude, and certitude begets hubris.

- Bret Stephens

Where is the option that says the “OP is premature. I’m reserving my judgment until there is sufficient data to support an informed opinion” ?

Last edited:

Lynxpoint

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
For some reason, this thread made me think of the Mac Cube. I remember loving the design of the cube, but never bought one... its issues were identified before I was in a position to consider buying one, and then it was cancelled. I still love the design of it though.

Time will tell if there are such fatal design issues with AVP.

What is different for me this time though is that I have no love for the design of this product. This is the same lack of love for the design of any current or past VR headsets. They just are not appealing to me from a design perspective. So I have no idea, or opinion, on what might come of AVP. It will be interesting to see what happens though... will it be a success, like most of Apple's endeavours, or will it have a short life, like the cube.

For me though, somehow playing with an old cube sounds like more fun than playing with AVP this evening.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
you will make posts like these every few weeks now ?!...this is first gen...For me also was DOA first gen iphone, ipad, apple watch(but i didnt wanted for others to be in agreement with me online or in public) ...the first gen is the first gen...when we will get to 4th gen, we will be probably depend on it..only apple AR glasses will be a hit by itself when the tech will be ready...so dont expect 4th gen in the next 10 years
What people are complaining it can be fixed by second or 3d generation at most

Last edited:

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
You sound pretty desperate for validation so Im not going to engage on that front.

However, I actually agree that the Vision product - either the current 'pro' or potential 'non-pro' future versions has a huge hill to climb.

Firstly, it's pretty clear that for most people with a normal level of income, even with the allure of the apple badge, $3,500 is beyond the level of affordability. It is simply a product that many cannot afford.
In comparison to the MacBook line... there is a reason of course why the Air sells the most and only a small number of buyers go for the pro line over $2,000.

The thing about VR/AR is that mostly it involves these big chunky headsets and their use cases are incredibly niche because of it. You wouldnt want to be using one in a room where others are not. If you think its a good idea to wear one in the street then good luck to you - not the least because you are advertising you have a $3,500 device about your person... but the disconnect from the environment around you is very unwise. Also in a coffee shop - you really need to be aware of whats going on around you. At home you dont want to be the only one on the sofa wearing one - and good luck affording one for all members of the family. Many people have commented on its discomfort and short battery life and inconvenience of the battery wire.

For the future... I agree in fact that this product cannot be a runaway success. It might well be paving the way for future technologies that are far more socially acceptable such as the AR glasses that are already on the market which just look like sunglasses and are nowhere near as obtrusive. The xReal Airs are a good example and im sure Apple will eventually follow that route.

The thing with the current $3,500 Vision Pro is that there is a lot of hype, and artificial interest. It's so clear that many were purchased by people simply taking advantage of Apple's generous returns police with zero intention of keeping it beyond that. Mostly people desperate for attention, clicks, likes, shares, multiple YouTube videos content.... then send it back.

I would be genuinely interested to see how things pan out here - but I dont think the Vision Pro will ever be a big seller. Given its price point and Apple's business acumen of course it will be a 'profitable' product for them... but I wonder how long it will continue in its present form. Best case I can see is that lessons will be learned and a cheaper product will take its place and ditching the superfluous stuff like the external screen eyesight stuff. I really get vibes of the first gen HomePod which was unceremoniously discontinued once the mini was a proven success.

As much as I dislike Meta and Zuckerberg, and as poorly judged as his recent video was..... I actually agree with him - The Meta Quest 3 *does* a lot that the VP does, and for 1/7th the cost with an integrated battery. It is certainly the better buy right now and Meta are correct to capitalise on the VP's notoriety right now because the Quest 3 gives you 90% of the functionality of VP at 1/7th the price. I would recommend anyone interested in what the VP can do to research hoe the Q3 does it and frankly the experience is just as good.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
As much as I dislike Meta and Zuckerberg, and as poorly judged as his recent video was..... I actually agree with him - The Meta Quest 3 *does* a lot that the VP does, and for 1/7th the cost with an integrated battery. It is certainly the better buy right now and Meta are correct to capitalise on the VP's notoriety right now because the Quest 3 gives you 90% of the functionality of VP at 1/7th the price. I would recommend anyone interested in what the VP can do to research hoe the Q3 does it and frankly the experience is just as good.

And, importantly, it has a major gaming story already

One can go buy that for $500 and have a whale of time gaming for days on end

i.e. It's got a pretty clearly defined purpose and it's pretty good at it.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal

all you do with your "prediction" (aka opinion) is xxx ... (deleted as I potentially violate rules and my mother taught me: if you don't have to say anything nice, don't say anything)

Based on your nd so many others here opinion, when VPro launches in other countries - no-one will buy it ... we shall see

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023

The question for this pool is why do we need to know AVP death at the first place. Why do we care? Will its death bring a major impact to the human kind or the world? Its death might bring satisfaction to some but why? The satisfaction will not last long. Only Apple knows if AVP will be continued based on actual and forecasted sales. Keep calm, care free of AVP life or death and be happy! 😊 life is too short to be unhappy! Enjoy life to the full without worrying death of AVP or any products!

BostonQuad

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2015
The poll is meaningless without clarifying what we mean.

What if it fails/succeeds in the same way as NeXTSTEP? That is, fails in its original implementation, but is foundational for a hit successor? (OS X in the case of NeXTSTEP; possibly AR glasses in the case of AVP)

Or what if it fails as a mass-market product, but is a hit in crucial niche markets? (simulation training, say)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.