Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When should we call time of death on AVP?

• Now, it’s hard to turn this ship around

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • 1-3 months, Apple will ignore it in their financial updates

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • 3-6 months, when YouTube, Spotify etc still boycott

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • 1 year, when there is no gen 2 and a price drop

Votes: 48 30.4%
  • 2 years when OP prophesied

Votes: 25 15.8%
  • I will never accept it even when it happens

Votes: 53 33.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
Why do people pretend like they don’t realize there will be future versions of this? The first version failing To sell like iPhone doesn’t mean the vision platform will fail.

Please engage in more encompassing conversation, everyone.
Because that's not how it works. Failed products don't fail forwards. Especially at Apple. Each product and each iteration needs to succeed on its own for it to have a future.

• Haha
Reactions: aParkerMusic

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
I love my AVP. It’s already well entrenched in my work flow. It’s made me more productive.

It’s also nowhere near “half-baked.” It’s an elegantly designed device. Can it be improved? Of course. That’s a given. I don’t find it uncomfortable to wear for long hours in the day (5-7 hours per day for work so for). And as I’ve used it more, I’m more impressed.

The point being: it’s already a success for me.

Your mileage may vary.

aParkerMusic

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2021
Because that's not how it works. Failed products don't fail forwards. Especially at Apple. Each product and each iteration needs to succeed on its own for it to have a future.
WRONG

The original Macintosh relatively bombed. We still have Macs today.

After the iMac, there some hit products, and some duds.

The original iPod was modest. The later iPod mini led to the massive boom of iPods.

The original Apple Watch was considered a failure by your friends here on the forums. It’s successful today.

I think you don’t know what you’re talking about. Success is not linear. Mind boggling that someone thinks that way! The reality is very embarrassing for Apple Vision Pro haters.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
The funny thing is that everyone I know who actually owns a Meta Quest says it looks like a joke compared to the Apple Vision Pro for those who have actually used the Vision Pro. So all of this noise on the Internet seems completely fabricated. For all of the nonsense about the Vision Pro being a toy, the Quest is literally a toy, it looks like a game from 2005 HAHAHAHAHA

Toally embarrassing for the Apple haters.
everyone you know...
So.. not you personally then. Fantastic insight you have there.

As a big apple fan... I actually do own a Quest 3 and a toy It is NOT.

It is objectively indisputable that its value proposition is far better than the Vision Pro and thats me as an Apple fan saying that.

Other things are available and competition is great. We dont have to worship at the alter of Cupertino unquestioningly.

The Vision Pro is great for the industry - at the very least its got people taking and interested in VR/AR - and yes Meta are going to pick up a lot of new sales when people realise what it can do.

Reactions: Cape Dave

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
The Vision Pro is great for the industry - at the very least its got people taking and interested in VR/AR - and yes Meta are going to pick up a lot of new sales when people realise what it can do.
How is the Quest for reading epubs and PDFs?

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
WRONG

The original Macintosh relatively bombed. We still have Macs today.

After the iMac, there some hit products, and some duds.

The original iPod was modest. The later iPod mini led to the massive boom of iPods.

The original Apple Watch was considered a failure by your friends here on the forums. It’s successful today.

I think you don’t know what you’re talking about. Success is not linear. Mind boggling that someone thinks that way! The reality is very embarrassing for Apple Vision Pro haters.
Yeah I'm talking about today. Not 40 years ago. And no the Apple Watch is no such example.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
How is the Quest for reading epubs and PDFs?
You can pick as many VP exclusive features as you like.

Point is there are many crossover features between the two.

Can Q3 view ebooks and PDFs? I doubt it - never tired myself. The Q3 doesnt have any delusions of being a strap on head mounted iPad.....

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Can Q3 view ebooks and PDFs? I doubt it - never tired myself. The Q3 doesnt have any delusions of being a strap on head mounted iPad.....
Thanks for confirming that I have no interest in Q3. A head mounted iPad may not be everyone's cup of tea, but that's what I want. Not the head mounted part, not really, but since that's the only way currently possible to have multiple resizable iPad windows in front of me, I'll take it.

Oh, and I agree VP will help Meta increase sales of the Quest. People who want a device just for watching movies and gaming will find Q3 the better value for their bucks.

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
I don't get it. You (collectively) bitch, piss, and moan for years that AAPL hasn't done any real innovation. And then when they DO come out with a new category-defining device, you pronounce it DOA two weeks into its life cycle.

If memory serves, when I bought the first iPad on day one, people were whining that they had no idea what problem IT was supposed to solve. Same with the first Apple Watch. Even the iPhone had its nay sayers at launch.

Yes, this is a Gen 1 product with all the trials and tribulations associated with being a Gen 1 device. But there's immense room to grow both in VisionOS software and in apps, not to mention in spatial video, for this hardware iteration. And the next version will just build on that.

If you don't want to (or can not afford to) be in on the ground floor, then just step back and watch things unfold. In the words of Thomas Paine (or maybe Gen George Patton): "Lead, follow, or get the heck out of the way!"

PS. I get more enamored of my AVP with every passing day, so count me in the LEAD category.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Thanks for confirming that I have no interest in Q3. A head mounted iPad may not be everyone's cup of tea, but that's what I want. Not the head mounted part, not really, but since that's the only way currently possible to have multiple resizable iPad windows in front of me, I'll take it.

Oh, and I agree VP will help Meta increase sales of the Quest. People who want a device just for watching movies and gaming will find Q3 the better value for their bucks.
well thats fine.

Nobody is disputing that there are differences between the 2 devices.

Competition is a wonderful thing. As the phrase goes... "Pay your money and take your choice".

One thing is for sure though... If Zuck and Meta got wind of the fact that for some reason it was a widely requested feature to be able to read e-books and PDFs on the device (by the way im not saying you cant as there is a files app on there so who knows)... it would be implemented pretty quickly on one of the many updates Meta post for the quest.

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Can I remind you OP the Vision Pro is essentially a beta product. Give it a few generations for crying out loud.
While I agree with the overall sentiment (give it some time to mature already!), I disagree with the premise that the AVP is essentially a beta product. I works exquitely well at the tasks it was designed to to and, in my experience, is not particularly buggy. Yes, it IS a Gen 1 product and will only get better as they further refine VisionOS and subsequently improve the hardware in a few years. But it is not a beta product. Far from it.

Bustermd

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
OF COURSE it won't die.

Same predictions were written for the iPod and the Apple Watch.

Does this mean this Gen 1 is worth buying right now? I don't know. But by gen 3 or 4 you guys will have a collective a-ha moment when every second people on the plane will wear one.

You might be right. But the reality is the ipod and apple watch are small, non intrusive devices.

The Vision Pro will NEVER be small or not intrusive. Sorry, but the laws of physics say that this device can never be turned into a pair of eyeglasses.

Take a look around a typical flight these days. Hardly anyone other than children or the elderly even use an ipad anymore as its not convenient to lug around a second sizeable device just for media consumption. People are watching movies/shows on their phones.

Tdevilsg

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2021
You might be right. But the reality is the ipod and apple watch are small, non intrusive devices.

The Vision Pro will NEVER be small or not intrusive. Sorry, but the laws of physics say that this device can never be turned into a pair of eyeglasses.

Take a look around a typical flight these days. Hardly anyone other than children or the elderly even use an ipad anymore as its not convenient to lug around a second sizeable device just for media consumption. People are watching movies/shows on their phones.
I just got off a six hour trip yesterday. Plenty of people had either their laptops or were using an ipad. I had my ipad mini with me for my child. Worked perfectly. Not everyone wants to watch a full length movie on a phone screen for 2 hours.

• Love

AeroSatan

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2011
NYC
This is like taking the initial sales of the very first iPod or the announcement of the initial iPad as something that won't work out meanwhile both went on to be more than wild successful. This is meant for Devs and super enthusiasts, when it fleshed out and costs $1,600 it'll be all the rage.

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
Calling it DOA two weeks in when Apple has already said they only intend on producing and selling less than a million units of a device this year globally is beyond comical. Apple isn’t in this for the short haul. To suggest otherwise is absurd. If you dislike the device that much why post here? Seems like a massive waste of time to me….
Can you post the link to where Apple OFFICIALLY stated that they “only intend on producing and selling less than a million”? I can’t seem to find that anywhere on the internet…

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
https://appleinsider.com/articles/2...return-rate-on-apple-vision-pro-is-pretty-low The return rate is pretty low.
The reviews are quite positive, though they all note room to grow. Guess what apple themselves will do: they will iterate this product.

your whole schtick is ridiculous
That article is skewed because the author only asked a handful of stores and a single employee at those stores. The author neglects to account for the rest of the country, other employees, and online returns.

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
Where is the vote for "I can't afford it so I am going to trash it instead of going on and living my life"?
Except there are genuine reasons other than solely the cost of the device, that contribute why it is unlikely to not fail. Just because someone has an opinion based on facts, doesn’t mean they cannot afford an Apple Vision Pro

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
The funny thing is that everyone I know who actually owns a Meta Quest says it looks like a joke compared to the Apple Vision Pro for those who have actually used the Vision Pro. So all of this noise on the Internet seems completely fabricated. For all of the nonsense about the Vision Pro being a toy, the Quest is literally a toy, it looks like a game from 2005 HAHAHAHAHA

Toally embarrassing for the Apple haters.
Hm, I’m reading that the Vision Pro is dead and that it disconnects you from people, but here I am using the device while speaking to my fiancé (who is starting his day reading articles on his Mac.

But I thought the device is dead based on all these comments!!
Nothing like seeing someone you love through some screens, when they are directly in front of you, just so you can post on a forum!

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
Let's add a voting option:

"Nearly 1 Billion in Sales (nearly 200K units at avg price of $4K each = $800M) is a success, not a failure."
Did Apple announce the official sales figures somewhere? I must have missed that. Link please.

Reactions: desslr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.