Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When should we call time of death on AVP?

• Now, it’s hard to turn this ship around

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • 1-3 months, Apple will ignore it in their financial updates

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • 3-6 months, when YouTube, Spotify etc still boycott

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • 1 year, when there is no gen 2 and a price drop

Votes: 48 30.4%
  • 2 years when OP prophesied

Votes: 25 15.8%
  • I will never accept it even when it happens

Votes: 53 33.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
They are over-invested in the failure of this product. Why would they make a fair poll
But there are products such as this that are available and cheaper…

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
But there are products such as this that are available and cheaper…

that has nothing to do with what I said. Has nothing to do with the criticism of the “poll”.

Bustermd

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
Can you elaborate?

If you want "immersive" you need goggles that strap to your face to isolate your vision from outside light. Unless some new unforeseen technology is developed that can fool your eyes to that degree, I guess.

Also there is a physical limit to how small you can make a battery. Look at the size of the battery of the current device. This isn't an airpod: significant computational power, multiple sensors, cameras, screens, etc are all needed for this thing to work. They might be able to make eyeglasses that have simple AR like functions with reasonable built-in battery life, but the Vision Pro is not such a device.

Reactions: HDFan

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
The App ecosystem honestly won't matter if they don't get a more comfortable model out there (and with more battery life)

It can be the most amazing experience imaginable, but if it's not comfortable to wear its' DOA

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
Can you post the link to where Apple OFFICIALLY stated that they “only intend on producing and selling less than a million”? I can’t seem to find that anywhere on the internet…

Apple never officially states publicly exactly how many devices it is going to manufacturer and believes it will sell for any individual product that it is first bringing to market so you won’t find an official statement from them on it. It won’t even release sales figures for products that have been on the market for some time with a much larger market penetration than 1 million units.

With that being said Google is your friend:

Nice try on the gotcha though….

Both articles contain the information if you read them. The quote below is from the second link above:

“Apple also reportedly slashed its 2024 production forecasts for the Vision Pro from 1 million to under 400,000 due to supply chain issues and technical difficulties.”

So at best under the rosiest of initial internal forecasts Apple intended to produce a million units prior to encountering production issues.

My point stands. A million units globally is a drop in the bucket for Apple assuming they wouldn’t produce much more or less than they thought they could or would sell.

Last edited:
Reactions: desslr

Contact_Feanor

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2017
Belgium
That article is skewed because the author only asked a handful of stores and a single employee at those stores. The author neglects to account for the rest of the country, other employees, and online returns.
I'm sure OP accounted for the rest of the country, other employees and online returns?

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
That article is skewed because the author only asked a handful of stores and a single employee at those stores. The author neglects to account for the rest of the country, other employees, and online returns.

The article above gives the money quote from Mark Gurman at Bloomberg:

“Apple isn’t commenting on the Vision Pro’s return rate, but data from sources at retail stores suggests that it’s likely somewhere between average and above average compared with other products — depending on the location. Some smaller stores are seeing one or two returns per day, but larger locations have seen as many as over eight take-backs in a single day.

Obviously, these aren’t large numbers, and there are stores that have had days with just one or zero returns. This stems partly from the fact that the Vision Pro is a low-volume product — something Apple expected from the start. And none of this is a sign of a crisis.”

calderini

macrumors member
May 6, 2004
And, importantly, it has a major gaming story already

One can go buy that for $500 and have a whale of time gaming for days on end

i.e. It's got a pretty clearly defined purpose and it's pretty good at it.
Yep.
That's the one you want to buy for gaming. That's for sure. But if you want to work, and (sometimes) be more productive, than you normally would we have the Vision Pro.
2 completely different products filling 2 distinctly different needs. I have them both. (Have had the Q3 for sometime now). Would not try to use one over the other for either use case.

But what's funny is, they will BOTH get better at what the other does best and meet somewhere in the middle eventually. (Although Apple WILL probably be more expensive).

We are looking at V1 and attitude is everything. I went IN to this knowing I was being a paying beta tester.
I have done so before with far worse products. LOL
But it really is NEW, exciting and FUN.

What is striking with the AVP is the doors that it OPENS, not the ones that may be closed to it for now. (Gaming)
If affords me the Opportunity to do what I do (Graphic Design) from anywhere I want to be. I'm no longer tied to my 2 Monitor work setup at the Company office. (I only use one MAIN screen for my actual graphics-everything that is on the second monitor is either info or communications related-all easily solved by secondary apps)

It's going to go the way it's going to go and what will eventually, IMO, drive it will be physical space and materials.
We will get to the point, if we are not already there, where we will not the the huge rectangles we have to lug around IRL to get the job done. Eventually that will be a cost saving as well.

Everything that NEEDS to improve on the product is easily in the real of being achieved. (Weight-Sharing-FOV)
I look forward to AVP3.
And we will get one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.