Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Do not get me wrong. Huawei develope their own chips, which are far superior than Qualcomm.

I believe Huawei preferred to sell two different models. One with their own chip and one with the Qualcomm chipset for exports to certain markets

Reactions: ramram55

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
But how many of those handsets are sold outside of China?

Does it really matter? Apple for example have a heavier bias in USA and that helps prop them up to.

Considering that the bulk of Android competition is in China actually makes this quite an incredible achievement for Huawei though, that is an incredibly fierce market amongst all the homegrown brands, I would have expected a more balanced situation that side amongst Huawei, Vivo, Oppo (with OnePlus) etc...

Anyway they managed to hit their key KPI, despite the incredible adversity from a whole other country, don’t think there has ever been a tech brand that has seen a whole country put its weight towards trying to kill it every which way it could try and still achieve its most ambitious objective.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Incredible, Huawei only lost 5% despite being kicked out one of the biggest smartphone markets and lost Google yet they have managed to become number 1 while battling fierce competition both in China and the rest of the world, incredible, one can only imagine how they would have done if they had not been banned from Google
2cfc069e019d69e9ca51248a205ac616.jpg

Excellent performance by Apple to, despite all the cheaper competition they some how managed to grow, absolutely insane!

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Huawei says it’s running out of chips for its smartphones because of US sanctions
And according to Richard Yu, CEO of Huawei’s consumer business unit, as of next month the Chinese phone manufacturer will no longer be able to make its own Kirin chipsets due to the ongoing economic pressure from the US.

‘Bleak but salvageable’: Huawei has limited options as U.S. sanctions cut off supply to smartphone chips

Last edited:

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Let's see if the US and Google honor their word and agreement of promising updates for purchased smartphones. Huawei paid a licensing fee to Google and Google needs to honor their promise to continue to provide updates and security updates for all purchased smartphones prior to new laws being imposed by Trump and his minions

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Some U.S. Huawei users won't be able to update their phones anymore , more details : http://break.ma/us/13780777
Yeah even as a non US, this worries me. My Honor View 10 managed to get Android 10 with April security patch, but I'm guessing that's the last of it. I don't care about new Android versions, but the idea of missing security patches for a longer term doesn't bode well.

I might be getting a Samsung. With Samsung promising 3 year of software support on some of their handsets, it's becoming the obvious choice.

Last edited:

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2019
Yeah even as a non US, this worries me. My Honor View 10 managed to get Android 10 with April security patch, but I'm guessing that's the last of it. I don't care about new Android versions, but the idea of missing security patches for a longer term doesn't bode well.

I might be getting a Samsung. With Samsung promising 3 year of software support on some of their handsets, it's becoming the obvious choice.

For security issues i rely on trusted third pary apps like Bitdefender, Avg antivirlus or Norton mobile. Trust me they work really well.

Reactions: jamezr

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Existing Huawei handsets should still get updates as normal it would seem.

I probably wouldn't trust a mere tweet for confirmation. Tweets are run by marketing people.

The concern here is that due to the lapse of expired temporary license, this means Google cannot push GMS updates to older Huawei phones with GMS (updates to Play Store services which is separate from security patches and OS upgrades).

Back to the tweet, there is a possibility that Huawei is telling the truth about updates (they didn't say specifically about GMS). There are rumors that eMUI 11 will be based on Harmony OS, completing Huawei's transition form GMS. It wouldn't surprise me as this will save Huawei from having to deal with Google, but it brings the question what will happen to older devices with GMS.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013

Alex W.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2020
Gotta be crazy to support them now, let them slowly die.
Common knowledge their laptops and phones are not secure; the hardware back doors and software call homes is accepted these days in the security world as factual; everyone is fading away from this company -- worldwide support has tanked.

Rather have apple and all the other respectable companies running the show vs some CCP founded company with a history of stealing and lying about it -- Huawei is finished outside china, all that local brainwashing and control will always make them supported back home - but the free world is done with them.

Couldnt be happier; Karma for what they did to Nortel.

Reactions: tbayrgs and jamezr

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
People tend to forget that if Huawei sold 200 million smartphones and Google charged them $40 for Google Play Royalty fees that means that Google collected $8 Billion from Huawei alone in Royalty fees. How American salaries does pay in the US per year? If you assume an average salary of $100K per employee at Google that means the Royalty fees alone from Google are enough to provide a $100K salary to 80,000 Americans in the US and of that amount you can easily say that the government takes a good 25% minimum from that so the government also profits around around $2 Billion dollars just from those salaries paid out. A lot of people may not know the full scope of just how much money Huawei sales bring in to the US every year. So much for Trump’s win win scenarios :rolleyes:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
People tend to forget that if Huawei sold 200 million smartphones and Google charged them $40 for Google Play Royalty fees that means that Google collected $8 Billion from Huawei alone in Royalty fees. How American salaries does pay in the US per year? If you assume an average salary of $100K per employee at Google that means the Royalty fees alone from Google are enough to provide a $100K salary to 80,000 Americans in the US and of that amount you can easily say that the government takes a good 25% minimum from that so the government also profits around around $2 Billion dollars just from those salaries paid out. A lot of people may not know the full scope of just how much money Huawei sales bring in to the US every year. So much for Trump’s win win scenarios :rolleyes:
lots of assumptions there....Google is a global company...not all of their employees work in the US. Then you would figure the people a lot smarter than you and me already crunched those numbers and figured we would till come out ahead just by not have our data and IP stolen by Huawei any longer. Or maybe not supporting this company backed by a suppressive government was worth the loss.....

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

First, the $40 licensing fee applies to devices sold in Europe and that’s the max fee—it could be as low as $10. It’s less if the full suite of Google apps isn’t included and is also dependent upon the devices display PPI. I’d assume there is a licensing fee outside of Europe but it has never been confirmed. Regardless, the number of Huawei devices sold in North America is essentially trivial, even before the ban.

The overwhelming majority of Huawei’s devices are sold domestically in China, where they don’t have Google Play Services or Google apps so they never have paid any licensing fees for those devices.

Point is, Google isn’t losing anywhere near $8 billion in income with the Huawei ban.

Reactions: jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.