Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

J4B3

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
Gamma Quadrant
I live in Seoul. On Korean news Samsung is saying it's not really a recall, which concerns some I am sure because what if some of these are for sale used one year from now?
How are you to know if you are getting a safe one or one with the bad battery?
Without a formal recall there are no released serial numbers etc. and it is still legal to sell the originals in question, I believe.

That worries me as well, especially in regards to resale value. How will anyone know if they are getting an updated device?

Samsung could solve this by starting over and relaunching the Note 7 (e.g., Note 7.1). I think that would solve a lot of the problems. Easier said than done though.

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
I live in Seoul. On Korean news Samsung is saying it's not really a recall, which concerns some I am sure because what if some of these are for sale used one year from now?
Without a formal recall there are no released serial numbers etc. and it is still legal to sell the originals in question, I believe.
Well, if they changed the batteries on the recalled units would they not be safe enough to sell as refurbs (as long as they were also cosmetically up to snuff)?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Seems fairly formal: https://news.samsung.com/global/statement-on-galaxy-note7

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
The fear of litigation is a powerful force. So this is not over dramatic trying to downplay the risk is funny except if you were the ones it happened to.
Totally.A company which locks horns with Apple every other day in court is scared of those 35 customers filing a suit especially when Apple didn't give 2 ***** about Touch Disease which actually affected a lot more customers than the exploding notes

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Totally.A company which locks horns with Apple every other day in court is scared of those 35 customers filing a suit especially when Apple didn't give 2 ***** about Touch Disease which actually affected a lot more customers than the exploding notes
Don't understand your response. So an inconvenience is equated to some battery explosion is what you are saying?

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I still have the Note7 in hand... Awaiting patiently for what Apple presents. As far as I know the camera is going to be the main attractions for the upcoming iPhones.

I've already had my time with iOS 10... so, as it stands now.. I'll be holding onto the Note7, but who knows what Apple has up its sleeve.

Reactions: bigjnyc

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Don't understand your response. So an inconvenience is equated to some battery explosion is what you are saying?
Point is they are not scared of litigation.They did this because it was a threat to their customers.They cared enough about their customers to initiate a recall

Lets look at the facts here

Samsung

Less than 1% error rate
No reports of injuries just yet last I checked
Recall initiated within days after reports
Those exploded Note 7 are gonna be replaced

Apple

More than 11% of Apple Store repairs account for Touch Disease
Apple is refusing replacements for Touch Disease
More customers are actually affected by touch disease than Batterygate
Class action law suit filed in Court
Apple doesnt give a crap in the face of the iPhone 7 launch.

Forget the affected phones,ALL iPhone 6 in the wild will at some point become dead.Just a matter of time

Last edited:
Reactions: ceva321 and jamezr

mooninite

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2013
I personally would lose a great deal of respect for them as a corporate citizen if they did make fun of this.

There are plenty of other reasons to lose respect for Apple as a "corporate citizen". How about not paying how billions of dollars in taxes via some underhanded deal with Ireland, for one? The whole "corporate citizen" moniker is such a joke. Corporations such as Apple and Samsung are in it to make money. End of story. If Apple can capitalize on Samsung's problem and they see it fit to do so, I'm not going to look down on Apple as a "corporate citizen" and neither is the average consumer. The average consumer is going to take note (pun intended) and look towards Apple for a better product.

I buy from Apple because they make great products... not because they're some sort of moralistic "corporate citizen". If I cared enough about how corporations behave, I'd buy Microsoft. Bill Gates is a hell of a philanthropist and his charitable work has done great things all over the world.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Point is they are not scared of litigation.They did this because it was a threat to their customers.They cared enough about their customers to initiate a recall

Lets look at the facts here

Samsung

Less than 1% error rate
No reports of injuries just yet last I checked
Recall initiated within days after reports
Those exploded Note 7 are gonna be replaced

Apple

More than 11% of Apple Store repairs account for Touch Disease
Apple is refusing replacements for Touch Disease
More customers are actually affected by touch disease than Batterygate
Class action law suit filed in Court
Apple doesnt give a crap in the face of the iPhone 7 launch.

Forget the affected phones,ALL iPhone 6 in the wild will at some point become dead.Just a matter of time
Sure, they cared enough not to get sued, because product injury class action lawsuits can be very, very costly. That, my friend is a fact. that no one was injured is luck. So sure Samsung is kind, caring and altruistic.:rolleyes:

How many people can get maimed with error 53?

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
There are plenty of other reasons to lose respect for Apple as a "corporate citizen". How about not paying how billions of dollars in taxes via some underhanded deal with Ireland, for one? The whole "corporate citizen" moniker is such a joke. Corporations such as Apple and Samsung are in it to make money. End of story. If Apple can capitalize on Samsung's problem and they see it fit to do so, I'm not going to look down on Apple as a "corporate citizen" and neither is the average consumer. The average consumer is going to take note (pun intended) and look towards Apple for a better product.

I buy from Apple because they make great products... not because they're some sort of moralistic "corporate citizen". If I cared enough about how corporations behave, I'd buy Microsoft. Bill Gates is a hell of a philanthropist and his charitable work has done great things all over the world.

Congratulations...?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Sure, they cared enough not to get sued, because product injury class action lawsuits can be very, very costly. That, my friend is a fact. that no one was injured is luck. So sure Samsung is kind, caring and altruistic.:rolleyes:

And we are talking about a company who is on the top of the heap in the Android world and thats disregarding their whole universe of other profitable product lines.A 0.1% error rate even with law suits is a drop in the pond for them.In fact initiating a recall worldwide for all the Notes including those unaffected can be just as expensive.Why do you think Apple didnt give a **** about the Touch Disease lawsuit?The answer is that the lawsuits arent a big deal for them rather than admitting the screwed up.

No one was injured because Samsung initiated the recall instantly.35 cases WORLDWIDE and recall initiated.Now THATS fast.

An irrelevant hypothetical question

As of RIGHT NOW,the Note customers will recieve a new phone and get on with life.Too bad Touch Disease affected customers have to sit in dusty courtrooms fighting a losing battle.Betcha Timmy will not mention this when iPhone 7 has those record sales albeit lesser than before

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
And we are talking about a company who is on the top of the heap in the Android world and thats disregarding their whole universe of other profitable product lines.A 0.1% error rate even with law suits is a drop in the pond for them.In fact initiating a recall worldwide for all the Notes including those unaffected can be just as expensive.Why do you think Apple didnt give a **** about the Touch Disease lawsuit?The answer is that the lawsuits arent a big deal for them rather than admitting the screwed up.

No one was injured because Samsung initiated the recall instantly.35 cases WORLDWIDE and recall initiated.Now THATS fast.

An irrelevant hypothetical question

As of RIGHT NOW,the Note customers will recieve a new phone and get on with life.Too bad Touch Disease affected customers have to sit in dusty courtrooms fighting a losing battle.Betcha Timmy will not mention this when iPhone 7 has those record sales albeit lesser than before
moving goal posts combined with hyperbole?

Reactions: widgeteer and Tuci

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I still have the Note7 in hand... Awaiting patiently for what Apple presents. As far as I know the camera is going to be the main attractions for the upcoming iPhones.

I've already had my time with iOS 10... so, as it stands now.. I'll be holding onto the Note7, but who knows what Apple has up its sleeve.

We are in the exact same boat. Holding on to my note 7 until I get the email from best buy that post-recall inventory is in.... Then my plan is to go and get a new Note 7 ....UNLESS Apple blows me away with something that hasn't been leaked.

Reactions: Ludatyk

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
moving goal posts combined with hyperbole?

Absolutely. His posts are completely silly. The folks who keep repeating the stats on the affected Note devices are basically saying "Samsung was wrong to recall the phone" because, well, such a low percentage! What's a few devices bursting into flames among friends!

Reactions: I7guy

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Absolutely. His posts are completely silly. The folks who keep repeating the stats on the affected Note devices are basically saying "Samsung was wrong to recall the phone" because, well, such a low percentage! What's a few devices bursting into flames among friends!
Isnt that the same logic some Apple fans are using with Touch Disease?As long as it doesnt kill you its okay for a few thousand devices to just die right?A few billion iPhone 6's out there have this "timer" built in.But who cares?iPhone 7 baby

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Isnt that the same logic some Apple fans are using with Touch Disease?As long as it doesnt kill you its okay for a few thousand devices to just die right?A few billion iPhone 6's out there have this "timer" built in.But who cares?iPhone 7 baby
The defections, hyperbole, etc. never stop. As usual, always a sign of a "strong argument".

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
The defections, hyperbole, etc. never stop. As usual, always a sign of a "strong argument".
Not really.When I pointed out Apple's silence on the Touch Disease issue I got this response

Indirect translation-Apple's silence is justified and Samsung's action isnt anything special as Touch Disease doesnt kill you whilest having killed a couple of phones and Samsung's actions arent anything out of the ordinary despite no one being injured

Touch Disease is not Error 53 either.Another deflection

Last edited:

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

Your comparison is stupid and has no relevance to a device that blows up. I'm a fan of both platforms because I'm a fully formed adult who doesn't project emotional needs on to my devices, so don't waste my time with "Apple fans."

Make a smarter argument and check in with me later. I'll let you know if it works.

Reactions: FFR and I7guy

mooninite

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2013
Your comparison is stupid and has no relevance to a device that blows up. I'm a fan of both platforms because I'm a fully formed adult who doesn't project emotional needs on to my devices, so don't waste my time with "Apple fans."

Make a smarter argument and check in with me later. I'll let you know if it works.

Congratulations...?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Not really.When I pointed out Apple's silence on the Touch Disease issue I got this response

Indirect translation-Apple's silence is justified and Samsung's action isnt anything special as Touch Disease doesnt kill you whilest having killed a couple of phones and Samsung's actions arent anything out of the ordinary despite no one being injured

Touch Disease is not Error 53 either.Another deflection
This is about the battery blowing up in the note 7, why is this being made into an apple deflection with the associated hyperbole?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Hmmm but you seemed to do that to forums posts on the internet.
To set the facts straight. I don't think any of the Note 7 batteries exploded correct? They puffed and and smoked and rendered the device useless.
I mean this is not exploding...it is very very bad and can cause injury for sure.

1943681246-samsung-0_1024.jpg

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Hmmm but you seemed to do that to forums posts on the internet.
To set the facts straight. I don't think any of the Note 7 batteries exploded correct? They puffed and and smoked and rendered the device useless.
I mean this is not exploding...it is very very bad and can cause injury for sure.

1943681246-samsung-0_1024.jpg
Sorry. You're right. Nothing exploded. An electronic device that most people charge next to their beds smoke and potentially catch fire. Sounds better. Sorry to be so extreme in my description.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Sorry. You're right. Nothing exploded. An electronic device that most people charge next to their beds smoke and potentially catch fire. Sounds better. Sorry to be so extreme in my description.
thanks for setting the facts straight! :) It is a mess right now. I mean look at the facts....35 cases of Note 7 batteries overheating and expanding is awful! Out of the 2.5 millions Note 7s that is a horrible .0014%....can you imagine that? I mean that equates to the same percentage as winning the lottery or getting hit by lightning.
I am so glad Samsung took the high road and recalled ALL of the Note 7s just to be safe aren't you?

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
thanks for setting the facts straight! :) It is a mess right now. I mean look at the facts....35 cases of Note 7 batteries overheating and expanding is awful! Out of the 2.5 millions Note 7s that is a horrible .0014%....can you imagine that? I mean that equates to the same percentage as winning the lottery or getting hit by lightning.
I am so glad Samsung took the high road and recalled ALL of the Note 7s just to be safe aren't you?

Sure. Maybe Samsung will hit the lottery to offset the billion or so it's going to cost for this "minor" problem.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Sure. Maybe Samsung will hit the lottery to offset the billion or so it's going to cost for this "minor" problem.
It might cost them over a billion...I don't think this is a minor issue btw......
I just think some of it has been blown out of proportion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.