Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
It might cost them over a billion...I don't think this is a minor issue btw......
I just think some of it has been blown out of proportion.

How has an unprecedented global recall that costs over a billion something that was "blown out of proportion?"

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
lol...C'mom....now be realistic and give credit where credit is due. They reacted faster than most other companies would have. They didn't deny or try to lay blame elsewhere. The took the hit head on and reacted to the benefit of their customers. I know you want to hate on them...but the facts are the facts. Could there have been injuries...sure but there wasn't was there. Could there potentially been more damages and lawsuits....sure but there wasn't was there? Samsung's swift action prevented all that.
So yeah you can run around like the sky is falling or just look at the facts.....
There have been no injuries or property damage due to their swift action.

I don't know if that's true at all, neither do you. A recall like this is unprecedented in this industry. I don't see anyone running around like the sky is falling. Your "facts" don't seem to include the damage done to Samsung over what you keep insisting was a minor issue. When you're arguing on behalf of something, and that something disagrees with you, pick a different argument. ;)

Nancy bout

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2013
Still have my iPhone 6s Plus and as of now I don't know what I'll be doing lol
Looks like I'm not too thrilled anymore w anything that much to dump what I have-
And I change phones yearly

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Looks like the galaxy note 7 is still exploding, this time someone got hurt.

"Galaxy Note 7 keeps exploding: First fire incident in the US harms owner"

http://bgr.com/2016/09/07/galaxy-note-7-recall-battery-explosions/
People need to wise up, and get their devices returned. This blasé attitude of it won't happen to me is just stupidity. If the manufacturer of the device is advising return and is essentially scrapping ALL its batteries and no longer going to use Samsung SDI it's safe to say the potential danger is greater than what folks on fora are assuming. Samsung would not be willing to lose a $ billion if it thought there wasn't a significant risk.

Sadly people are stubborn and assume they know best. It wouldn't surprise me if we hear that someone is seriously harmed before this issue is fully resolved.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Sadly people are stubborn and assume they know best. It wouldn't surprise me if we hear that someone is seriously harmed before this issue is fully resolved.

To be fair, there's no replacements thus far.

As soon as replacements are in... I'll be exchanging mine asap. I know coming Friday... I plan on going to a local Best Buy to see what's the status of the new Note7 shipments.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

As soon as replacements are in... I'll be exchanging mine asap. I know coming Friday... I plan on going to a local Best Buy to see what's the status of the new Note7 shipments.
Aren't carriers allowing users to swap to another device until the N7 is back ?

I do understand the frustration if it's your sole phone, but there is plenty of posts on fora of people saying their device is fine or that there is not much of a chance it will happen to them for example so they won't bother returning it.

I honestly suspect it's just a small matter of time before we hear more serious and potentially deadly news ....

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
People need to wise up, and get their devices returned. This blasé attitude of it won't happen to me is just stupidity. If the manufacturer of the device is advising return and is essentially scrapping ALL its batteries and no longer going to use Samsung SDI it's safe to say the potential danger is greater than what folks on fora are assuming. Samsung would not be willing to lose a $ billion if it thought there wasn't a significant risk.

Some posters on this forum really aren't helping.
It's actually quite dangerous.

Galaxy Note 7 'explodes' in Australian hotel causing $1870 damage

http://i.stuff.co.nz/world/australi...lodes-in-Australian-hotel-causing-1870-damage

I think they are way past 35 exploding galaxy note 7.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Aren't carriers allowing users to swap to another device until the N7 is back ?

I do understand the frustration if it's your sole phone, but there is plenty of posts on fora of people saying their device is fine or that there is not much of a chance it will happen to them for example so they won't bother returning it.

I honestly suspect it's just a small matter of time before we hear more serious and potentially deadly news ....

Some are, but unless Verizon changed their attitude if you swap for an S7 or S7 edge your stuck with that phone.

Reactions: MRU

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Exactly and no one here is saying to NOT replace their Note 7s. In fact everyone is say the opposite.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

I think waiting for safe units is a mistake. It's obvious that we don't know how widespread the issue is, and evidently the dangers to users is far greater than first thought.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I think waiting for safe units is a mistake. It's obvious that we don't know how widespread the issue is, and evidently the dangers to users is far greater than first thought.

Well, obviously it is a risk. To those that are waiting for replacement we are aware of the risk.

I know I can return the Note7 in for a s7 or s7 edge, but I'd rather take one trip instead of two trips. I'm definitely cautious when charging... and up to this point everything is working perfectly (knock on wood).

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
The defections, hyperbole, etc. never stop. As usual, always a sign of a "strong argument".

Neither argument is strong, I don't think either side realizes how moronic they sound arguing about the intentions of a corporation they have nothing to do with. WTF cares what Samsung's motivations are? Seriously, take a step back and realize what it is you are arguing for or against. I'm just getting annoyed every other thread is about this, jeez exchange your phone or return it and get something else and move along.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Neither argument is strong, I don't think either side realizes how moronic they sound arguing about the intentions of a corporation they have nothing to do with. WTF cares what Samsung's motivations are? Seriously, take a step back and realize what it is you are arguing for or against. I'm just getting annoyed every other thread is about this, jeez exchange your phone or return it and get something else and move along.

Wish I could 'thumbs up' this post about a thousand times. Let's hope the relevant parties take a moment to read it as well.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
T-mobile is giving us up to Sep 30 to return. If they don't get replacments by the 20th, then I'll just replace it with the iP7+ 256gb for now as my main device.

I'm on JOD, so if I do end up getting an iP7+, I'll jump to the Pixel phone several months later, and then the S8 when release. If I get a replacment Note 7, I'll just stick with that until the S8 comes out.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
T-mobile is giving us up to Sep 30 to return. If they don't get replacments by the 20th, then I'll just replace it with the iP7+ 256gb for now as my main device.

I'm on JOD, so if I do end up getting an iP7+, I'll jump to the Pixel phone several months later, and then the S8 when release. If I get a replacment Note 7, I'll just stick with that until the S8 comes out.

That's a lot of phone hopping!

But I attempted to get the iP7+ early this morning with no success. At this point, I'm out of the running... the Jet Black will be highly sought after and I won't settle for any other model. I'm kind of relieved to not having to decide between the Note7 and iP7+... I'll be staying put with the Note7.

pkginstall

Suspended
Aug 5, 2016
Actually Windows phone was the biggest fail by any financial measure.

You got that right, OR by any technical measure too - seriously. I foolishly decided to give a Windows 10 Phone, Lumia 650, a try, 2 days ago. I bought one as a replacement (hopefully that was the idea, more like over-optimistically) for a very cheap but okay 5.5" Android phone called the Vodafone "Smart Ultra 6" which lagged A LOT, but not all of the time, but enough, coupled with the fact that the camera sensor would cause captured images to be mostly black & white, below a certain light threshold - pathetic. Anyway, I returned this Android to the chain store "Argos" and swapped it for the Lumia 650... and the huge disappointment and remembering of all that Windows Phone pain set in FAST!

~ Laggy, choppy UI *ALL* the time.

~ "Loading... Loading... Loading..." for 20-30s *ALWAYS* (are you JOKING? This is a quad core phone with 1GB RAM!)

~ Camera can't take more than 2 or 3 photos before it locks me out of taking further images as it boldly and proudly tells me IN GIANT TEXT, "Saving..." for what feels like 20-30 secs, sometimes A MINUTE OR MORE.

~ "There is a problem" (ya not kidding! :D) always in camera app when I press HDR (sorry, "Rich Capture" -_-) button to adjust my photos.

~ "Something's gone wrong our end" in the "Windows Store" ALL THE TIME!!

~ Battery dropping from 94% to 74% in 45 mins, and I was barely using it! Same happened today! ARGH! 2,000mAh battery should easily get better than this.

Microsoft need to sink this ship and bury it, and move on - what a disastrous MESS of an absolutely sloppy and uncared for platform. Windows Phone 8.1 was okay-ish... JUST - had 4 current Lumia models over 16 months so I could give them the benefit of the doubt - they were mostly okay, but riddled with bugs that were fundamental parts of a mobile OS that should work without needing chasing up, and didn't, EVER!

Long story short, this flame grilled wombat turd of a phone is being returned and I shall probably invest in the new Moto G4 (Not the Plus or Play version, the 16GB nand/2GB RAM & 13MP cam version.)

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
That's a lot of phone hopping!

But I attempted to get the iP7+ early this morning with no success. At this point, I'm out of the running... the Jet Black will be highly sought after and I won't settle for any other model. I'm kind of relieved to not having to decide between the Note7 and iP7+... I'll be staying put with the Note7.

Got my matte black plus (and a gold one for my wife) this morning, coming next Friday. I thought about the jet black one, but I liked the look of the matte one better. The jet black one sold out VERY quickly.

Reactions: 5105973 and tbayrgs

yellowscreen

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2015
Never in my wildest imagination would I think ones android fanboyism would be so strong to actually put ones well being in jeopardy.

Cant decide if its sad or funny

Or alarming

aishakeys

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2015
I actually ordered the rose gold iphone 7plus 128 i have always been into android and actually preordered note 7. I will make my decision when i get the iphone but right now ,not that impressed with samsung at all.

Owned:s3,s5,s6,s7 edge and note 7 may be time to change it up a little ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.