Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geekiemac

macrumors 65816
Feb 13, 2016
Really looks nice with the stainless. I got a saddle brown a couple weeks ago on eBay. It’s my favorite of the browns, and I was so excited I won the auction because I normally can’t stand doing auctions. I have starlight aluminum, but I ordered a SS (although I’m planning to return it and just hold out til next year to get ss), and the saddle brown band does look a lot better on the SS. The dark cherry is a great color!
Once you have a SS... you'll never look back ? I had aluminum watches until I grabbed a SS S5 last year. It was love at first sight! And all kinds of bands look great on it. I kept the alum for heavy duty and workouts.

Reactions: schlupps

geekiemac

macrumors 65816
Feb 13, 2016
C283C38B-220C-4434-A1C8-55CCFD0448F5.jpeg

Dark Cherry... my 2nd fave 😍

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Once you have a SS... you'll never look back ? I had aluminum watches until I grabbed a SS S5 last year. It was love at first sight! And all kinds of bands look great on it. I kept the alum for heavy duty and workouts.

Well I was torn between the SS, and going with the 45 mm aluminum, because I’ve wanted the larger size the last few years. I wound up in the store today having to return something, tried the 45, and they happened to have one in stock with the band I wanted, so I bought it. ?

Not sure what’s that what that’s going to mean for getting a stainless in the future because if I really love the larger size I probably won’t go stainless in that because of the weight.

Reactions: geekiemac

geekiemac

macrumors 65816
Feb 13, 2016
Well I was torn between the SS, and going with the 45 mm aluminum, because I’ve wanted the larger size the last few years. I wound up in the store today having to return something, tried the 45, and they happened to have one in stock with the band I wanted, so I bought it. ?

Not sure what’s that what that’s going to mean for getting a stainless in the future because if I really love the larger size I probably won’t go stainless in that because of the weight.
Congrats on the new watch! ?
About the weight: that thought also held me back for years, from getting a SS... until I tried one. The difference isn't that huge and you get used to it very quickly. Nowadays when I switch from alu to SS I barely notice it.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Congrats on the new watch! ?
About the weight: that thought also held me back for years, from getting a SS... until I tried one. The difference isn't that huge and you get used to it very quickly. Nowadays when I switch from alu to SS I barely notice it.

I didn’t notice it much in the 41, but I’m afraid the 45 stainless would be more noticeable. I’m trying to decide if the 45 works or if it’s too big. I loved it in the store, but wearing it I feel like it’s so big - it’s close to being at the edges of my arm - just wondering if I’ll be hitting it all the time.

geekiemac

macrumors 65816
Feb 13, 2016
Agreed, in dim light the Dark Cherry leather link looks almost black. As with the Sequoia green if I'm not mistaken, from the pictures I've seen at least.

jayinla

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
Just picked up the midnight leather link. I love it but....it's seems difficult to put on tightly without the buckle. Is there a secret to putting it on properly?

geekiemac

macrumors 65816
Feb 13, 2016
Just picked up the midnight leather link. I love it but....it's seems difficult to put on tightly without the buckle. Is there a secret to putting it on properly?
Congrats on your purchase!
Just make sure you put the longer band on top of the smaller one and not the opposite.

Hustle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
USA
Has anyone else had an allergic reaction to these leather links?

I got the midnight one however a red blotchy mark appeared around my wrist. I washed the band as I thought maybe it had some powder on they use in manufacturing etc and put the watch on the other wrist and within a few hours had the same.

Wondering if it could be the magnets I'm allergic to rather than the leather.... shame as it's a really nice strap.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
Has anyone else had an allergic reaction to these leather links?

I got the midnight one however a red blotchy mark appeared around my wrist. I washed the band as I thought maybe it had some powder on they use in manufacturing etc and put the watch on the other wrist and within a few hours had the same.

Wondering if it could be the magnets I'm allergic to rather than the leather.... shame as it's a really nice strap.

It could be the trapped moisture causing skin irritations.

millerwb

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2021
Bailey, CO - US
Got an orange leather link band. Fits well but in can just pull the watch and it comes off. Is that normal?

Here is how it fits. It is the small size but I think large one would be too long

Edit: here is a video. Very easy to pull off
I received a green leather link as a gift. Similar experience. Does not stay "latched". It slips a notch or two regularly. Putting on a sweatshirt causes it to fall off. I have 10 overlap notches. Whenever I can get to a store I want to compare to others, possibly exchange for something different.

geekiemac

macrumors 65816
Feb 13, 2016
I received a green leather link as a gift. Similar experience. Does not stay "latched". It slips a notch or two regularly. Putting on a sweatshirt causes it to fall off. I have 10 overlap notches. Whenever I can get to a store I want to compare to others, possibly exchange for something different.
This is not normal - the watch should not "unlatch" by itself. You might indeed have a defective unit.

Reactions: PaladinGuy

Cotypubby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2020
It should not slip at all, certainly putting on a shirt should not cause it to move. You are connecting it correctly right? The longer side sits on top of the shorter one. If you do it the other way the magnets are weak.

Reactions: bluespark and Pug72

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
in have the green leather link and no issues at all with slippage, even a little. super secure.

freshy17

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2021
I was concerned about it. But I don’t feel mine rips off this easily. Please try an M/L at the store and see?
I got the M/L for the 41 mm even though the S/M fitted me. The small felt very insecure due the few magnets overlap. Only 5 to 6. As opposed to the Medium with 10 to 11 magnets overlap. I have tried pulling the watch as Shown in the video but in my case it doesn’t come off easily. Like… at all. A casual thief would have to give it a very strong yank and I’m not sure that would work.
I have also caught the end of the strap in clothes and it closes right back on. Again, thanks to greater overlap area. Had I stayed with the Small size maybe I’d have a crashed AW by now

Reactions: macintoshmac

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I got the M/L for the 41 mm even though the S/M fitted me. The small felt very insecure due the few magnets overlap. Only 5 to 6. As opposed to the Medium with 10 to 11 magnets overlap. I have tried pulling the watch as Shown in the video but in my case it doesn’t come off easily. Like… at all. A casual thief would have to give it a very strong yank and I’m not sure that would work.
I have also caught the end of the strap in clothes and it closes right back on. Again, thanks to greater overlap area. Had I stayed with the Small size maybe I’d have a crashed AW by now

Well, considering the cost of these devices, we are naturally concerned with someone yanking them off our wrists, but I dare say it couldn't go unnoticed even if someone were to pull off a successful yank, so we may be able to take preventive steps. On another note, the force required to pull off this yank means we might as well have allowed it.

This can't be pulled off casually as that (in)famous video shows the child being able to pull the watch off. It is a case of faulty magnets and/ or too less magnetic overlap in my opinion.

As you are noticing, the larger sized band works great for you (and for me, too) in large part due to the greater magnetic overlap, making a slip of magnets difficult.

TheAccountant

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2021
Called Apple support (I bought it online) and they were skeptic. Sent me to 3 different people and they were like “yeah, your magnets are loose”. Very condescending tone. Guess I’ll just return it, and see if another one fits better later on. Disappointing as I really loved the look.
Did you ever get a replacement? I just tested my Sequoia band, and with yanking on the watch, I would have to almost break my wrist, to even get it to budge. There's a 0% chance someone could walk by and yank it off. My bad is 4.5 months old too.

Reactions: PaladinGuy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.