Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Hasn't arrived (or even shipped) yet, but I ordered this (the stand) last night, with hopes of making the MBP15 more usable (as a second machine on the desk) for less demanding processes while the heavy stuff runs on the desktop machine.

I guess I need to buy another KB & mouse now.

1573759141025.jpeg

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
EVGA 80+ 500W PSP (for a Dell 6XX desktop); Inland 1TB 2.5" SSD (for same); 128GB SDXC (for my Foscam R4 (stoopid ***** goin'-down in teh 'hood)).

Desire==Impulse

Regards, splifingate

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I cannot explain it, even to myself, but for some strange inexplicable and utterly unfathomable reason, I just love those "dead cat" microphones.
I think the human eyes love seeing color and texture transitions like that. That said, I'm not a big fan of actual cats. I'd be inclined to use one as an actual duster.
[automerge]1573978169[/automerge]
I bet you check that tracking number more than once.
Pretty sure you can set up text alerts for each change in status. We used to use those, but my lord it got annoying when you had multiple packages in transit.

I sold my TB MBP a while back. This new 16" model looks great and I want to get one. I'll wait 4-5 months and see how it fares before wasting money again. So far everything seems to be good which is weird with the way Apple had been going on for the last 7 years now. Heavier and thicker surprised me. I have a feeling this is what broke Ive's spirit of making everything fragile and minuscule. Good ****ing riddance if true.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I think the human eyes love seeing color and texture transitions like that. That said, I'm not a big fan of actual cats. I'd be inclined to use one as an actual duster.
[automerge]1573978169[/automerge]

Pretty sure you can set up text alerts for each change in status. We used to use those, but my lord it got annoying when you had multiple packages in transit.
You can but I never give my mobile number to shops or for online purchases. It goes to friends only pretty much. I hate the fact that people sell your number on without your permission. It actually illegal to do so, but you can never prove it.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
You can but I never give my mobile number to shops or for online purchases. It goes to friends only pretty much. I hate the fact that people sell your number on without your permission. It actually illegal to do so, but you can never prove it.
I've had the same number for over 20 years, I think. I get the occasional weird call, a few misdials, but that's it. I use it when applicable. I love messing with telemarketers so I don't mind. Sadly, I think my personal number and home phone have gone on an actual do not call list, probably labeled as a "massive *******."

Sometimes they catch on quickly and just chat with a stranger. Which I don't mind if I've got nothing going on. I once recall convincing some lass to quit her job and go back to school because she'd never enjoy her life doing calls over her intended career. Felt good that day. Still remember it. 2009. Mid day on a Friday. Woke me up from a nap.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I've had the same number for over 20 years, I think. I get the occasional weird call, a few misdials, but that's it. I use it when applicable. I love messing with telemarketers so I don't mind. Sadly, I think my personal number and home phone have gone on an actual do not call list, probably labeled as a "massive *******."
As part of this house move I had to give it to the estate agent. About the same time I start getting the odd I hear you had an accident call. Really annoys me.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
As part of this house move I had to give it to the estate agent. About the same time I start getting the odd I hear you had an accident call. Really annoys me.
Those digital VOIP numbers can be set up to forward to a number on your landline or mobile. For mobiles, specific apps can use that number as the outgoing.

Estate agents/realtors are one group I don't give a number out. Crawly little buggers.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

I track all shipments with the Deliveries app. It was like $5 US, and when I make a purchase, I enter the tracking number in the app and it makes tracking the package a breeze.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I bet you check that tracking number more than once.
Actually by either this Tuesday or Wednesday, UPS says end of day Tuesday, Apple saying by Wednesday. So yes, I will be monitoring tracking like a starving hawk watching for prey.

What I dislike is that I had to ask for two days off from work now, just in case. I make up the time, but still.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Actually by either this Tuesday or Wednesday, UPS says end of day Tuesday. Apple saying by Wednesday. So yes, I will be monitoring tracking like a starving hawk watching for prey.

What I dislike is that I had to ask for two days off from work now, just in case. I make up the time, but still.
Could you not pick it up at the store?

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Could you not pick it up at the store?
No. Not in this particular case.

I told my job if the delivery comes in early enough Tuesday, I would be in on Wednesday, but UPS is unpredictable (and I have no way to get to their hub).

It is fine. I was going to offer working extra hours next week due to the holiday anyway (Providing coverage for those in the department who want to take off).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
No. Not in this particular case.

I told my job if the delivery comes in early enough Tuesday, I would be in on Wednesday, but UPS is unpredictable (and I have no way to get to their hub).

It is fine. I was going to offer working extra hours next week due to the holiday anyway (Providing coverage for those in the department who want to take off).

Either way, I imagine that you are really looking forward to taking delivery of it.

Dowjohnny

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Germany
Finally moving away from iMacs...this is getting ready to ship to me.

View attachment 877578

Testing at an Apple store yesterday confirmed I made the right choice for me after all this back and forth since 2017.
Congrats! I am currently debating this or an 27“ iMac.. yes i am aware that these two are completely different, still trying to figure out if I need portability or rather go for a big screen for home computing.. girlfriend has a MacBook I could use so.. but on the other hand I love MacBook Pro ;)

Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Congrats! I am currently debating this or an 27“ iMac.. yes i am aware that these two are completely different, still trying to figure out if I need portability or rather go for a big screen for home computing.. girlfriend has a MacBook I could use so.. but on the other hand I love MacBook Pro ;)

Thanks. After 20 years of iMacs, I was ready for a change.

How about an external monitor with the MBP? I am thinking of going that route. I will not be traveling with my MBP (Outside of going upstairs and downstairs).

Whatever you get, may it serve you well.

Dowjohnny

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Germany
Yea I thought about that possibility as well, might be the more sensible solution.. we are expecting a baby next summer so one room down (no more man cave) so being able to slam the MacBook shut and taking it to another room seems really appealing.. enjoy your 16“ :)

Reactions: kazmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.