Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Thank you for the suggestion. I've not heard of these before, so I'll need to look them up.
They are relatively cheap (and made to reduce puffiness in the face and bring circulation to the surface of the skin). I realized they worked great for sinus pressure and my allergies too.

Amazon has several kits (I'd get one with at least two stones.)

They been such a boon in my allergy, aches and sinus relief.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
They are relatively cheap (and made to reduce puffiness in the face and bring circulation to the surface of the skin). I realized they worked great for sinus pressure and my allergies too.

Thank you. I'll probably do that. Anything that can help my sinuses I'm happy to try!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I had to see the ENT doctor the other day for my allergies and sinus issues (a life long problem). He gave me a syringe for irrigating the nasal cavity/sinuses and told me to do that 1-2 times per day and ordered an RX as well.

I've used a Neti Pot in the past but fell off its usage for some years.

Apparently, I have a sinus infection and major irritation right now that I wasn't really aware of. It sneaks up on me and I guess I've grown used to it and subconsciously thought this was "normal". I only went to the doctor to inquire about allergy shots to find out if they'd be a more effective solution compared to the pills I've been taking.

After using the syringe to irrigate today, I had to go through a cup (200ml) of the saline solution and I remembered the Neti Pot and what a pain in the ass that was too. I thought there has to be an easier way to do this and went searching around.

I decided to order this just now in hopes that it will make this task a bit easier. Bending over the sink for a while starts to hurt my back and maybe this will help speed up the process.

SinuPulse Elite Advanced Nasal Sinus Irrigation System
View attachment 874697

I'd politely suggest Jade facial scraping stones to help clear the sinus and lymph passages. Along with diet changes, the scraping stones help significantly in clearing sinus pressure and lymph glands.

They also help my itchy and/or tired allergy eyes and minor aches and pains (bringing circulation to the area).

Debating if I should jump on a traditional art site's sale membership today before their 30% expires.

Thank you. I'll probably do that. Anything that can help my sinuses I'm happy to try!

I have had sinus troubles since my teens, and have found a number of remedies helpful.

The first - which sounds obvious, but it works - is serious hydration. For around twenty years, I have been consuming around two litres (sometimes a litre and a half) of water a day. In warm climates, this rises to three to four litres of water a day.

The second, arising from the first, was to reduce my coffee intake: In college - as a student and later, as a teacher - my coffee intake regularly exceeded ten cups a day.

These days, it rarely exceeds two or three, (granted, I drink a lot more coffee when working abroad, maybe four or five cups a day) and most days at home, I confine myself to one or two cups a day.

Thirdly, I use Olbas Oil, (it derives from the eucalyptus tree) - a few drops - on pillows and on handkerchiefs, and find that it relieves (doesn't heal, but it does provide relief) sinus symptoms.

Fourthly, I am a vehement anti-smoker: Smoking triggers my sinuses (always did) - I am exceptionally sensitive to it - and nowadays, therefore, I do not permit smoking in the house, and tell smokers to take themselves and their habit elsewhere - but well away from me - when they need a nicotine break.

@kazmac: I must look into Jade facial scraping stones, they sound fascinating: I have never heard of them.

Reactions: kazmac

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Birthday present to myself. Jeff Beck Stratocaster
0119600857_gtr_cntbdyright_001_nr.jpg

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
I have had sinus troubles since my teens, and have found a number of remedies helpful.

The first - which sounds obvious, but it works - is serious hydration. For around twenty years, I have been consuming around two litres (sometimes a litre and a half) of water a day. In warm climates, this rises to three to four litres of water a day.

The second, arising from the first, was to reduce my coffee intake: In college - as a student and later, as a teacher - my coffee intake regularly exceeded ten cups a day.

These days, it rarely exceeds two or three, (granted, I drink a lot more coffee when working abroad, maybe four or five cups a day) and most days at home, I confine myself to one or two cups a day.

Thirdly, I use Olbas Oil, (it derives from the eucalyptus tree) - a few drops - on pillows and on handkerchiefs, and find that it relieves (doesn't heal, but it does provide relief) sinus symptoms.

Fourthly, I am a vehement anti-smoker: Smoking triggers my sinuses (always did) - I am exceptionally sensitive to it - and nowadays, therefore, I do not permit smoking in the house, and tell smokers to take themselves and their habit elsewhere - but well away from me - when they need a nicotine break.

@kazmac: I must look into Jade facial scraping stones, they sound fascinating: I have never heard of them.
Ditto me & smokers. Unfortunately thanks to political idiots driven by greed,I have to contend with pot smokers now too. And I have had sinus infections flare up with the smoke stack living in the basement. I stopped the landlord from kicking her out (He would raise the rents for us and the family below us if he did not rent the basement), but unfortunately, it's a dicey situation.

Anyway, facial scraping stones are known as gua shua. I am glad I tried them.

I am trying to avoid processed carbs & dairy and eating & drinking more greens because that helps too. As does, exercise.

I have far fewer allergies and sinus because of this and even less since using the jade (they've stopped allergic attacks due to smoke or eating an allergy food within minutes. Unless it's a relentless cloud like our co-tenant).

Now, I understand dietary changes are a personal choice, so I am only posting what I do. Ditto the jade may not work as well for everyone.

And to stay on topic, I bought water.

Okay, off to doodle before I start work.:)

I wish I had my iPad with me. Am almost considering another Mini 5 for my commute and before I start work. Will see what Black Friday sales bring as far as discounts.

Reactions: Gutwrench

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ditto me & smokers. Unfortunately thanks to political idiots driven by greed,I have to contend with pot smokers now too. And I have had sinus infections flare up with the smoke stack living in the basement. I stopped the landlord from kicking her out (He would raise the rents for us and the family below us if he did not rent the basement), but unfortunately, it's a dicey situation.

Anyway, facial scraping stones are known as gua shua. I am glad I tried them.

I am trying to avoid processed carbs & dairy and eating & drinking more greens because that helps too. As does, exercise.

I have far fewer allergies and sinus because of this and even less since using the jade (they've stopped allergic attacks due to smoke or eating an allergy food within minutes. Unless it's a relentless cloud like our co-tenant).

Now, I understand dietary changes are a personal choice, so I am only posting what I do. Ditto the jade may not work as well for everyone.

And to stay on topic, I bought water.

Okay, off to doodle before I start work.:)

I wish I had my iPad with me. Am almost considering another Mini 5 for my commute and before I start work. Will see what Black Friday sales bring as far as discounts.

As for pot: That is like my nicotine allergy on steroids: My sinuses flare up for hours and hours.

I am so terminally uncool that whenever pot is smoked, I have to seek refuge in another room, usually the kitchen where there is a large enough table to hold the tissues I need for my non-stop streaming nose.

This is because ordinary tissues won't suffice, when my nostrils and sinuses have been assailed by pot, as only a massive kitchen tissue is large enough (and strong enough) to deal with the volume of streaming mucus that exits, nay exudes, my nose for hours on end.

Yes, that means that there is also a no drugs rule - no hard drugs, no soft drugs, no nicotine - in my house. Now, as it happens, my drug of choice is alcohol, and that is warmly welcomed.

Re diet, for reasons of sinuses, and cholesterol, it has been tentatively suggested that I modify (not avoid, let alone forego, that will not happen this side of Hell or Hades) my consumption of dairy products.

But I like full fat milk, (invariably organic) and I adore cheese, and I have no intention of eliminating them from my diet (reducing them may not be excluded), as we are now into a discussion of quality of life issues.

Back on topic, my fortnightly shop (which occurred on Saturday) has been delivered just now; it contained countless litres of Pellegrino sparkling water.

Last edited:

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
I found I could order some adapter plates for the battery charger I bought when I had the Olympus camera. Fuji support for a few dollars.

Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 8.31.23 AM.png

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I had to see the ENT doctor the other day for my allergies and sinus issues (a life long problem). He gave me a syringe for irrigating the nasal cavity/sinuses and told me to do that 1-2 times per day and ordered an RX as well.

I've used a Neti Pot in the past but fell off its usage for some years.

Apparently, I have a sinus infection and major irritation right now that I wasn't really aware of. It sneaks up on me and I guess I've grown used to it and subconsciously thought this was "normal". I only went to the doctor to inquire about allergy shots to find out if they'd be a more effective solution compared to the pills I've been taking.

After using the syringe to irrigate today, I had to go through a cup (200ml) of the saline solution and I remembered the Neti Pot and what a pain in the ass that was too. I thought there has to be an easier way to do this and went searching around.

I decided to order this just now in hopes that it will make this task a bit easier. Bending over the sink for a while starts to hurt my back and maybe this will help speed up the process.

SinuPulse Elite Advanced Nasal Sinus Irrigation System
View attachment 874697
This arrived yesterday and I used it this morning for the first time. It's very nice and worked well. Basically an automatic and adjustable Neti Pot which requires far less effort and time to use. I recommend it already even after one use.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
AllBirds “Runner Ups Mizzles” and a pair of their socks.

I utterly killed my present pair of sneakers today (Thankfully, my big toe is unscathed); so I decided to try AllBirds sneakers.

These “Mizzles” are lightly water proofed (“Puddle Guard” TM) :rolleyes:. May they be comfortable and last longer than present pair. I am happy to try this brand of sneakers.

39A5F341-4646-4F4C-A386-41B1A8522D9E.jpeg

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
AllBirds “Runner Ups Mizzies” and a pair of their socks.

I utterly killed my present pair of sneakers today (Thankfully, my big toe is unscathed); so I decided to try AllBirds sneakers.

These “Mizzies” are lightly water proofed (“Puddle Guard” TM) :rolleyes:. May they be comfortable and last longer than present pair. I am happy to try this brand of sneakers.

View attachment 875426
I have a pair of Allbirds as well. They’re very comfortable and nice.

Reactions: kazmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.