Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pop2video

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2016
Can you guys please share how’s the bass doing? I personally like the bass of beats x. It would be great if the Pro got more bass this time.

Thanks!

aloper

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2015
Rocklin, CA
Was out running today and noticed the ticking noise. I'm now 99% certain it is not the button, and is in fact the silicon tips moving in my ear with sweat. If I push them in harder, and/or dry my ears, it goes away for a while.

So really, I need to try different tips. I'm on the largest set so will try smaller. Does anyone make foam (or similar) tips for these?

Check the Comply website...they have tips available for the PowerBeats. The only issue I've found though, for some reson they don't seal well, in my ears...at least the sport pro ones...sort of barrel shapped. The ones that did work are the "comfort tips"...tx-400's I think. They are more round, like the stock silicone tips...and they have been working great.

Reactions: Akrapovic

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
Not noticed that yet and I was keeping an eye (ear) out for little noises which might end up bugging me on longer runs. Will keep my ears open though.

Moved to the included smaller tips and it's gone. So it was just silicone/sweat noise.

If the buds don't feel like they fit right, sometimes going smaller is an answer.

Reactions: ascender

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
Can you guys please share how’s the bass doing? I personally like the bass of beats x. It would be great if the Pro got more bass this time.

Thanks!
You want more bass? Good god. You won't like these though because they're actually better at presenting bass than the Beats X are (they're garbage at it). The problem with the Pros is they got the bass correct but completely screwed up the treble. It's painful to listen to for more than 30 minutes.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
I've used mine a couple of times so far. Once in the gym, once on a run, and for a couple hours or so at home (i mostly use earphones when I work out). Before them, I was using Jaybird Runs, or Jaybirds X3.

- I can put them on with one hand like a pro :p

- The fit is surprising. I have this issue that earbuds always feel weird in my right ear, like they're not super secure and I always fiddle with them. The PBP are better. After a few minutes, I almost don't feel them anymore, and that took a little time to get used to and realize that was actually normal, and good. They feel barely there, but at the same time they don't feel like they're going to fall. And they don't move at all. I still find myself fiddling with them in the gym, but during my run, I didn't think about them at all. I forgot I was wearing them until I was back in my car. I normally take earbuds off as soon as I get back, but in this case I didn't, until I drove off and realized I had music in my ears. They are much, much lighter and less intrusive than the Jaybird Runs, it's unbelievable.

I did have to play with the tips a bit and adjust the arms down a lot, but now they're great.

- Sweat don't do anything. No sliding, no moving, no feeling slick and sweaty.

- Sunglasses took a little adjustment but once I found the right one, no problem.

- Sound is good, even if I can't adjust it like I did with the Jaybird app. It's actually better than the Jaybirds, probably because of a better fit? I either listen to metal or stream news / podcasts. The bass is good. Trebles are a tad tinny but that's not an issue and I barely notice it unless I try. Spoken words are clear and intelligible.

- Sound level is also good.

- Sound isolation is better than either Jaybirds.

- I love the buttons, yay for controls!

- The ear detection is uncanny.

- Connection is seamless, I paired them with my phone and they magically worked on my watch.

- No drops (in the gym I have only my watch, worn on my left wrist. When running I also have my phone in a pocket on the front of my hips).

- I missed Bluetooth Multipoint since I moved to the Jaybird Runs. So happy to have it back.

Cons:

- I keep pausing the music every time I touch them. So I guess I need to stop touching them lol.

- The case. Not so much of an issue for me as I'm a woman so I always have a purse or gym bag, but come on. Was there really no way the case could be made so the PBP could lay flat in it?!

- I wish there was a charge indicator for the buds on the case, like the Jaybird Runs.

tl;dr - they're a complete win. Also now I can keep the Jaybirds in my gym bag as backups :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ascender

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
The case is made of literally the most slippery space plastic of all time..

And ditto on the pausing with the "b" button. That thing presses way too easily

Reactions: EdMan

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
The case is made of literally the most slippery space plastic of all time..

And ditto on the pausing with the "b" button. That thing presses way too easily

I said the same thing about how slippery the case it. I finally dropped mine!!! :-(

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
They are just under powered. The volume is very low compared to other bluetooth headphones. I'm wondering if I should keep them or not...

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
They are just under powered. The volume is very low compared to other bluetooth headphones. I'm wondering if I should keep them or not...

I've not found that at all - I'm listening to music, podcasts and calls with the visual volume display on my iPhone at about 25-30% of max.

What is a pain is how sensitive the physical button is to stop/start stuff as I've found myself hanging up on calls while readjusting the headphone in my ear.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
I bought them the other day and they sound absolutely terrible. I had a gut feeling that the sound quality would be underwhelming, but I decided to try them anyways. For the price I expected better sound quality. Back to Best Buy they go! I only own one Beats product and it’s the Beats X that I got for free with my iPad a few years ago. From here on out the only beats I will own will be the ones I get for free.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
I actually chose to return them and but a pair of BeatsX for $65 at walmart..

Better sound in my opinion and $200 less. I loved the wire-free aspect but that damn big slippery case was annoying to lug around.

Reactions: Royksöpp

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
I've not found that at all - I'm listening to music, podcasts and calls with the visual volume display on my iPhone at about 25-30% of max.

What is a pain is how sensitive the physical button is to stop/start stuff as I've found myself hanging up on calls while readjusting the headphone in my ear.
You probably listen to music in quiet places. Try listening to music in the gym/subway

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
I've had mine since day one. I'm having some issues with connectivity to my iPhone.

They worked fine for a week and then the left earpiece quit connecting. I would put it back in the case, take it out, back in the case, blah, blah, blah and then it would work. I then discovered the black on black, flush mounted button in the case and reset them. This fixed my issue.

Then a week later, the right one stopped connecting. Another reset and I was back in business.

Couple days later and neither would connect. Reset and back in business.

Couple days later, the right one wouldn't connect. When I got it connected, my phone said it was at 0% charge and the case was at 13%, when it should have been in the 80s. So, for some reason, the right earpiece must have been powered up and using juice, while also pulling power from the case. Just used the left earpiece that day. Got the case and right earpiece charged, reset and back in business.

This morning, the left earpiece wouldn't connect. Reset and back in business.

Now, I use these thing every day. They work perfect like 4 out of 5 days I use them. It's just maddening they don't work every day. Has anyone heard complaints like this? I think I need to call tech support and get some replacements. They are working perfect for me other than these random connection issues.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I've had mine since day one. I'm having some issues with connectivity to my iPhone.

They worked fine for a week and then the left earpiece quit connecting. I would put it back in the case, take it out, back in the case, blah, blah, blah and then it would work. I then discovered the black on black, flush mounted button in the case and reset them. This fixed my issue.

Then a week later, the right one stopped connecting. Another reset and I was back in business.

Couple days later and neither would connect. Reset and back in business.

Couple days later, the right one wouldn't connect. When I got it connected, my phone said it was at 0% charge and the case was at 13%, when it should have been in the 80s. So, for some reason, the right earpiece must have been powered up and using juice, while also pulling power from the case. Just used the left earpiece that day. Got the case and right earpiece charged, reset and back in business.

This morning, the left earpiece wouldn't connect. Reset and back in business.

Now, I use these thing every day. They work perfect like 4 out of 5 days I use them. It's just maddening they don't work every day. Has anyone heard complaints like this? I think I need to call tech support and get some replacements. They are working perfect for me other than these random connection issues.

I haven't bought a pair yet, but this review gives me pause. I'm sorry, at $249 they should just WORK.

As for the slippery case, AirPod cases are super slippery and my Bose SureSport battery case is also slippery. Really don't understand what the deal is.

metalsiren

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
for working out and music they are great, for phone calls they suck so bad compared to airpods. so if you need for phone calls I would not get the pro

victry1

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2008
NJ
I'm very impressed, although I can't seem to get "Hey Siri" to work. Am I right in assuming I should be able to just say "Hey Siri Pause" without touching anything to get Siri to pause the music?

What Siri settings are required (presumably on the iPhone) to achieve this?

I didn't adjust any settings, but when I say "hey Siri", it works. I did find I had to wait for a pause to give a command tho. If I don't do it, she will say "yes"?

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
Hey Siri just worked for me right out of the box. I say "hey siri what time is it" on my morning walks in the park with my dogs. Works great. I've also used it to pause and play audio. I don't pause between saying hey siri and whatever command I'm giving.

Jaunty

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2004
London, England
I had 2 phone calls today where I had to take the Pros out and use the iPhone as the other end could not hear me well enough. Call was perfect on the iPhone. So this and the poor Siri response (giant case doesn't help but could live with) is enough for me to return them. I like having useable controls on them, but they are too expensive to keep with these key issues. My current Zolo Liberty+ also don't work with Siri well and are useless with phone calls but are great for music.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I had 2 phone calls today where I had to take the Pros out and use the iPhone as the other end could not hear me well enough. Call was perfect on the iPhone. So this and the poor Siri response (giant case doesn't help but could live with) is enough for me to return them. I like having useable controls on them, but they are too expensive to keep with these key issues. My current Zolo Liberty+ also don't work with Siri well and are useless with phone calls but are great for music.
It's reviews like these that would hinder me from even considering them.

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
Finally picked mine up from the apple store yesterday.

First impressions are they're as good as I thought they'd be.

Light weight, adjustable ear hooks make me forget that I have them on after a while.
H1 chip connects instantly on the iPhone, and less than 2 or 3 seconds on the MacBook and Apple TV.
Audio is definitely better than the Airpods 1 that I have. Also sound volume is not as low as some have suggested. I'll take it to the gym this arvo and test again.
The charging case is actually not that big. I’m always carrying a gym bag or backpack so it’s not a big deal for me at all.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I find Hey Siri works really well so long as I'm not running outside - which was the same with the AirPods. Its very hit and miss on the times I've tried it - works maybe 50% of the time. Clearly seems to be down to background wind and traffic noise.

Call quality for audio calls seems fine for me, no discernible difference between these and AirPods.

Reactions: haruhiko
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.