Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
for working out and music they are great, for phone calls they suck so bad compared to airpods. so if you need for phone calls I would not get the pro
I learnt a hard lesson with B&O. It doesn't suck, simply because a normal phone call is not even possible in a relatively noisy environment. The PBP is okay for phone calls, at least the person in the other side didn't complain about the poor voice quality. For the B&O, it was always "hello? are you there? hello?"
[doublepost=1560935100][/doublepost]Here is my review. My pair ordered from Taobao China arrived last night.

Pros:
- Generally impressed by the very strong connectivity compared to my BeoPlay E8 which drops connection occasionally just with a little interference.
- Pairing is convenient and solid as expected.
- Bass is strong, with treble less clear than the BeoPlay. Significantly better sound quality than the BeatsX
- Voice quality during a phone call is excellent, while it is nearly impossible to make a phone call for the BeoPlay in a noisy environment (deal breaker for me).
- Battery life is crazy, 30 minutes of music listening only consumed 5% of the battery.
- Once you place it correctly in the ear it's impossible to drop it. Wearing it is not as difficult as expected.
- PHYSICAL freaking buttons!

Cons:
- The case is extremely bulky and unwieldy, the size is almost comical with slippery material. Almost impossible to open the case by one hand.
- Music quality is a little bit worse than the BeoPlay.
- The earhook may cause pain depends on the shape of your ears.
- No wireless charging case.
- Some practice is needed to put the earbuds in the right place in the charging case...

metalsiren

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
What I should have said for phone calls compared to the AirPods they suck. When I am on PBP they can more background noise, the min I switch them out for the AirPods its better. I mean each product has its uses.

niv007

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2019
I was so excited about these that I actually already got rid of my old on-the-go headphones.

Today is my last day to start a return and I’ll do it because:

• Sound wasn’t as good as my old Powerbeats 2
  • Microphone for calls would only be decent if I’m in a quiet room, nowhere near as good as airpods when I had a pair
  • The main issue: battery drainage. OMG. Let’s say I get them out of the case at 100% and I get into bed at night. I’ll watch a show or two and then drop them on the side table. I’ll wake up with the right one at 40-50% and the left one in the low 20% I’ll have them on my desk (outside the case) and they’ll drain so fast they become unusable when I finally need them. I guess it’s the downside of having them aware all the time? I can’t recall airpods having the same issue
They are great for the gym, I even showered with them once and no issues. I find it is that the left one’s battery is always 20% behind the other one when I use them together always.

I think I’ll get the Bose ones, I like their sound better anyway.

kc319

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2019
I another who thinks that for what they cost the audio quality is rubbish. I got mine as soon as they were available in the UK and really wanted to like them but they've been returned today. Despite trying numerous tip combinations (including some comply ones) some songs were just unlistenable, they were so tinny. I tried the same music with my first gen AirPods and they sounded far better.

Additionally the case is stupidly large and the fact that they cannot be turned off is idiotic. I frequently do a 10/11 hour day at work and I've either got to take that daft case with me or watch the PB battery die as the day goes on.

For when I go running I've got some Jabra Elite Active's and they're better than the PB's - there's next to no wind noise on the Jabra's but there's plenty on the PB's.

It'll be a while but if I can find a deal on them and get them for about £150 I'll probably get them just to play with but, although I can afford the £220, with what competition is out they're they are just not worth the money.

Last edited:

jjohnstonjr

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
So here is my tale of owning all these headphones. Currently an owner of the original AirPods. the battery was starting to die more and more but I think that was due to my usage. I broke down and bought the AirPods 2 but after having them for a week it didn't seem like a difference so I returned them. I bought the Powerbeats Pro and loved them for running and working out but putting them on were a bit cumbersome so I returned them. I ended up going back to Airpods 2 once again but then it dawned on me that I have the originals and returned them. So now I am just rocking with the original AirPods. Maybe something will come down the line that I will like or maybe the next gen AP's will be worth the upgrade.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

macnmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2017
Apple Park
So here is my tale of owning all these headphones. Currently an owner of the original AirPods. the battery was starting to die more and more but I think that was due to my usage. I broke down and bought the AirPods 2 but after having them for a week it didn't seem like a difference so I returned them. I bought the Powerbeats Pro and loved them for running and working out but putting them on were a bit cumbersome so I returned them. I ended up going back to Airpods 2 once again but then it dawned on me that I have the originals and returned them. So now I am just rocking with the original AirPods. Maybe something will come down the line that I will like or maybe the next gen AP's will be worth the upgrade.

same, but the ap2 battery is a bit better than my original airpods... not really worth the money but my return window has closed...

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
Something to consider regarding battery life. The AirPods seem to be last 2-3 years before the battery is dropping off. However that begins life with a 5 hour listening time, whilst the PBP start with 9 hours. So I imagine you'd get another year or two out of the PBPs given they start with better batteries.

Some of my experiences differ from those here. I'm not saying that people here are wrong obviously, but it's worth mentioning my experiences. Longer review from me:

Pros:
  • The most Apple-like 'it just works' experience I've had for a long time. It just connects and works. If I start music on my Watch (stored on the Watch, rather than the phone), these switch over seamlessly.
  • NO WIRES. My god it's amazing.
  • It's nice to not worry about turning things on and off. You just pull them out the case and are connected before you've even got them on. The proximity sensors for taking them off the ear and the music stopping are perfect too.
  • Bass is good, but not overpowering like previous Beats.
  • Battery life does appear to be what is advertised. I did an hour run just this morning and lost 9%. At this rate I'd get over 10 hours.
  • Battery in the case does appear to be what is advertised. I will get in excess of the 24 hours at current rates.
  • Depending on what headphones you're coming from, you may not find the case too large. I don't own Airpods (they don't fit me well, and are useless for running). The case for this is really not that big for a normal case, and if you're doing sports then it goes in a gym bag and it's fine. I also don't have problems with the slippy-ness of the case that others reported. Feels less slippy than an uncased iPhone X.
  • Case charges with lightning. I like this - it's what my phone charges with.
  • Build quality is excellent. No odd noises or ticks or cracks.
  • Ability to wear just 1 earphone and it 'just works', rather than complains the second earphone isn't there.
  • No issues with fit. They stay very secure and don't move, even when wet from sweat.
  • No connection issues at all after a few weeks.
  • Earbud sizes work for me. I'm on the second smallest set and it's the most stable.
Cons:
  • I had an 'incident' where I didn't put an earphone back in the case properly and contact wasn't made with the charging points, so that earphone didn't charge. So I do have to put them back in the case properly.
  • I had one instance where they would not switch to the Watch. My phone was in airplane mode - so to get them to swap from phone to watch, I needed to take it out of airplane mode and then restart because it was stuck in a loop.
  • The physical main button on the side took a while to get used to. It doesn't take much force to press. This makes it totally not painful (unlike one set I had before...), but it does take a while to get used to how to do it properly.
  • In a funny way I was disappointed at how good they were. I like getting tech and playing about with it. With these I just opened the case and they worked and that was that. Nothing to satisfy my tech side with, lol.

Reactions: haruhiko

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Something to consider regarding battery life. The AirPods seem to be last 2-3 years before the battery is dropping off. However that begins life with a 5 hour listening time, whilst the PBP start with 9 hours. So I imagine you'd get another year or two out of the PBPs given they start with better batteries.

Some of my experiences differ from those here. I'm not saying that people here are wrong obviously, but it's worth mentioning my experiences. Longer review from me:

Pros:
  • The most Apple-like 'it just works' experience I've had for a long time. It just connects and works. If I start music on my Watch (stored on the Watch, rather than the phone), these switch over seamlessly.
  • NO WIRES. My god it's amazing.
  • It's nice to not worry about turning things on and off. You just pull them out the case and are connected before you've even got them on. The proximity sensors for taking them off the ear and the music stopping are perfect too.
  • Bass is good, but not overpowering like previous Beats.
  • Battery life does appear to be what is advertised. I did an hour run just this morning and lost 9%. At this rate I'd get over 10 hours.
  • Battery in the case does appear to be what is advertised. I will get in excess of the 24 hours at current rates.
  • Depending on what headphones you're coming from, you may not find the case too large. I don't own Airpods (they don't fit me well, and are useless for running). The case for this is really not that big for a normal case, and if you're doing sports then it goes in a gym bag and it's fine. I also don't have problems with the slippy-ness of the case that others reported. Feels less slippy than an uncased iPhone X.
  • Case charges with lightning. I like this - it's what my phone charges with.
  • Build quality is excellent. No odd noises or ticks or cracks.
  • Ability to wear just 1 earphone and it 'just works', rather than complains the second earphone isn't there.
  • No issues with fit. They stay very secure and don't move, even when wet from sweat.
  • No connection issues at all after a few weeks.
  • Earbud sizes work for me. I'm on the second smallest set and it's the most stable.
Cons:
  • I had an 'incident' where I didn't put an earphone back in the case properly and contact wasn't made with the charging points, so that earphone didn't charge. So I do have to put them back in the case properly.
  • I had one instance where they would not switch to the Watch. My phone was in airplane mode - so to get them to swap from phone to watch, I needed to take it out of airplane mode and then restart because it was stuck in a loop.
  • The physical main button on the side took a while to get used to. It doesn't take much force to press. This makes it totally not painful (unlike one set I had before...), but it does take a while to get used to how to do it properly.
  • In a funny way I was disappointed at how good they were. I like getting tech and playing about with it. With these I just opened the case and they worked and that was that. Nothing to satisfy my tech side with, lol.
I concur with you totally.

Actually, I just need to take out my BeoPlay and use it for a while then I will know how good the Powerbeats are.
The BeoPlay H8 2.0 has the following problems:

- Disconnects occasionally and random static sound - this is crazy and a dealbreaker.
- Terrible, terrible (I can't emphasise more) voice quality in calls. A torture for both sides.
- It does not auto connect - a long press on the right for 2+ secs is needed for it to connect to the phone, each and every time.
- Battery life is only about 4-5 hours. In contrast, I listened to music for 2 hours on my PBP and the battery was just down to 86%. The charging case is basically a tool for me to turn the PBP off.
- Take out one of them from the ear does not auto pause the music, it will continue to play.
- 40 - 50% more expensive than PBP.
- No physical button, instead, different touch controls are scattered to the left and right earbuds, like tap once on the right for play, tap twice for whatever, tap once on left to activate pass through mode, etc etc - the problem is you never know whether the first touch is registered as a touch. When I tried again since I don't find the first touch having any response, it registers as a double tap.

The only good thing of it is the great sound quality, and wireless charging case if you find it useful.
However, all YouTube reviewers conveniently ignored all of these issues. They tested the earbuds in a controlled silent room.

Reactions: Akrapovic

sgmiller

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2007
I'm very impressed, although I can't seem to get "Hey Siri" to work. Am I right in assuming I should be able to just say "Hey Siri Pause" without touching anything to get Siri to pause the music?

What Siri settings are required (presumably on the iPhone) to achieve this?

I had the same problem....make sure that Siri is accessible from the lock screen (iPhone settings) or it won't work at all. Once I changed that it worked fine.

Another issue I discovered is that when I was running and activated with "Hey Siri", I think the commands were being picked up by Apple Watch and weren't working well so I turned off activate Siri on the Watch with "Hey Siri" (Settings|General\Siri). Now everything is perfect and the Siri volume improved as well.

Hope that helps...there real should better documentation on this somewhere...it took me too long to figure out by myself.
[doublepost=1561117486][/doublepost]
Thank you to both. It does appear that enabling on the lock screen was the final bit I needed.

Have to say, I'm finding Siri detection underwhelming. "Hey Siri" only works about half the time. When it does, it's brilliant, but when it doesn't, you're running along saying "Hey Siri! Hey Siri! Hey Siri" like an idiot.

If you are using with the Watch, try the above....it worked for me

sgmiller

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2007
I had the same problem....make sure that Siri is accessible from the lock screen (iPhone settings) or it won't work at all. Once I changed that it worked fine.

Another issue I discovered is that when I was running and activated with "Hey Siri", I think the commands were being picked up by Apple Watch and weren't working well so I turned off activate Siri on the Watch with "Hey Siri" (Settings|General\Siri). Now everything is perfect and the Siri volume improved as well.

Hope that helps...there real should better documentation on this somewhere...it took me too long to figure out by myself.
[doublepost=1561117486][/doublepost]

If you are using with the Watch, try the above....it worked for me

NOTE: Probably had nothing to do with it since Siri won't activate without a wrist raise or touch on the screen. My activation got much better when I got a better seal with the ear tips. Also, it seems to be more problematic in noisy environments...maybe a physical press is better in that situation.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
In stock at my local Apple Store...

So, I tried out the in-store demo and they were tiny no matter which tip or song that was used. The store employee, who has his on order, said if his sound like that, they will be returned. Hopefully, they're just defective demos, but who's to say that the one I buy will be any better? A manager, whom I know said hers were awesome.

I have never come across a set of in ear headphones that required the tip to be 'just right' for the sound to be any good. This just blows my mind.

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I retuned my Powerbeats Pro Thursday. There wasn't any real significant difference in sound, from my 2nd Gen AirPods. While I appreciated the extra battery life etc., I couldn't see justifying the extra price spent, when they didn't sound any better than the AirPods. Maybe next time.

Cutiekitty92

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2015
UK
Considering these as my Beats X keep breaking got through two pairs. Anyway pricey but it is a good upgrade? Also I think these will be better suited to me as AirPods sadly I know will just not fit my ears :( I like the idea but not sure. Beats have superior sound quality that I loved.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Considering these as my Beats X keep breaking got through two pairs. Anyway pricey but it is a good upgrade? Also I think these will be better suited to me as AirPods sadly I know will just not fit my ears :( I like the idea but not sure. Beats have superior sound quality that I loved.
BeatsX's build quality is terrible. My pair has burnt out on/charging indicator and the b piece on each bud has the glue melted and detached. PBP on the other hand feels much better built and sturdy.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
Using the pbp for 3-4 weeks made me an even bigger fan of my beatsx. As far as durability, Im on my second beatsx pair, first pair apple replaced because it was within warranty, this pairs been going for about a year+. The only thing busted are the branded “b” caps which does not effect the function.

Also, theres no way to know the durability of the $250 pbp vs the (now found for $70 some places) beatsx

If they upgrade the beatsx I’ll probably go for it.

DHA

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2014
Had mine for a few weeks now. Overall I am impressed and happy with the purchase.

Good
- Fit, earpods hurt my ears so airpods were never an option. I had some B&o H5 before this but they gradually worked out of my ear even using different sized rubber caps - the loops on the powerbeats pro solve this issue.
- Sound, first time out I thought these sound ******. Turns out I hadn't actually put them on right as they weren't inside my ear properly - fitted properly I think to my ears they sound great. Not overly bass heavy as beats are meant to be, but a good level of sound

Bad
- Battery, well not the battery exactly. But if you have these in your pocket not in the charge case they don't sleep as they detect movement. So they drain in power during the day. Come home time you might not have the battery remaining that you expected.

niv007

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2019
Update: I started the return process and been still using them until they come to pick them up and today the right one just decided to get lost (metaphor) and not connect to any of my devices. Then I'm getting the red exclamation dot on my iPhone when I check its status.

I agree with the video above, at this price one shouldn't be having to put up with the battery drain and these bugs. The sound is meh compared to older Powerbeats. When will I learn to stop ordering their beta products!?

ssh

macrumors member
May 6, 2005
So far (2 days), I'm very disappointed with the sound quality. I'm trying to figure out the best EQ setting on my iPhone to make them sound at least decent (Classical), but where is this "pronounced bass" and "crisp treble" I've read about (like from The Wirecutter)? Mostly sounds like mud to me. Perhaps I'm using the wrong tips for me, so I'm going to try different ones for tomorrow, but independent of the music type (I have eclectic tastes), the sound is flat, lacking detail, and very muddy through the middle.

Anyone else experienced this and found a solution? I can't use my AirPods to work out for many of my workout days (they fall out when I'm laying on my back), and I'm *not* going to wear my Bose QC 35 IIs in the gym! Any input before these go back? Any options with much better sound that'll work in the gym? The Wirecutter like the Jabra Elites, but they also said the PBPs sound "great," so...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.