Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
All I can suggest is different tips to ensure a good seal and you might need a different sized one for each ear.

dan-K

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
I just got my PBP and so far I really like them.

Quick question regarding the case, is anybody else’s lid loose when opened? I can move the lid side to side when open and can feel the hinges are quite loose if that makes sense?

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Re "Hey Siri" not working, I think I was doing the same as someone else. I was leaving a slight pause after Siri by which time the watch was doing its thing where it was about to ask me what I wanted, then I speak as it speaks and its just never going to work.

So on today's run I made a conscious effort to just say "hey Siri next track" without any pausing and it worked much better. It didn't work one time, but I was running by a road at the time and I do think background noise doesn't help if you're also running.

meteoreos

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2016
Midlands, UK
I just got my PBP and so far I really like them.

Quick question regarding the case, is anybody else’s lid loose when opened? I can move the lid side to side when open and can feel the hinges are quite loose if that makes sense?

Yes, I even swapped out my pair as I thought I had a defective unit. That’s just how they’re built.

Anyway, coming from the wired RHA MA750, the Powerbeats Pro are superior in every regard.

Last edited:

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Hmm, so on the run this morning I got the low battery noise on my left one and upon checking its at 6% with the right one at 90%. Has anybody else had this behaviour? I'm sure I've seen someone mention it, but there's so many threads on Powerbeats Pro that search isn't helping much.

RobinNL

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2017
World
I'm very happy with the powerbeats but notice a difference in build quality (line gaps, alignment main button) between my two buds. Anyone else notice this?

triangletechie

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2017
NC
Airpods hurt my ears so they're not an option. I have a pair of BeatsX that are comfortable. Do these Powerbeats have the same size tips as the BeatsX?

Gamer-Dad

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2018
Pasadena MD USA
I bought the PBP’s the other night. My local Best Buy finally got them in stock at the store. They are replacing my gen 1 AirPods. After using them for 3 days at the gym, either my set are defective or I just prefer the sound quality from my AirPods more. I’ve tried all 3 tip sizes and they just sound tiny. To me, my AirPods sound superior. Lows are more pronounced and the highs sound great. On the PBP’s, some songs sound really good and others sound like crap. The left one also kills my ear from the hook. The case is big, but i don’t carry my case through the gym with me. You do need to be careful when placing them in the case for charging as it’s easy to misalign. Really sucks cause I was hoping to make them my go to for the gym. Fortunately for me I’ve never had problems with my AirPods falling out while exercising or at anytime. Just wish Apple would get off there cloud and make them in black!

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
I had the Powerbeats Pro for a week now. From a sound and function perspective they are very good and comparable to airpods.

The issue I have with them is I don’t like the loop. The loop seems to go around my ear leaving a lot of space between the ear and the loop which means it doesn’t do anything to secure the fit. It’s like the buds are held on by the ear canal grip and the hoop has no function.

I find that a bit annoying. Would have hoped the hoop helped secure the fit.

Going to return them.

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
I bought the PBP’s the other night. My local Best Buy finally got them in stock at the store. They are replacing my gen 1 AirPods. After using them for 3 days at the gym, either my set are defective or I just prefer the sound quality from my AirPods more. I’ve tried all 3 tip sizes and they just sound tiny. To me, my AirPods sound superior. Lows are more pronounced and the highs sound great. On the PBP’s, some songs sound really good and others sound like crap. The left one also kills my ear from the hook. The case is big, but i don’t carry my case through the gym with me. You do need to be careful when placing them in the case for charging as it’s easy to misalign. Really sucks cause I was hoping to make them my go to for the gym. Fortunately for me I’ve never had problems with my AirPods falling out while exercising or at anytime. Just wish Apple would get off there cloud and make them in black!
They're not defective. PBP's sound signature has a heavy emphasis on Treble. It's painful after awhile. I agree that the AirPods sound signature is better.

Cutiekitty92

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2015
UK
Was torn between both but decided to go for the AirPods 2 and I’m very happy with them. Was concerned about the fit but they’re actually really not bad at all. Got myself some silicone tips from amazon to help it :)

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
Was torn between both but decided to go for the AirPods 2 and I’m very happy with them. Was concerned about the fit but they’re actually really not bad at all. Got myself some silicone tips from amazon to help it :)
Silicone tips turned mine from good to great.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
So removing the tips every time you put them in the case is needed right?

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
With the ones I use, yes. But they literally take 1-2 seconds to put back on.

These are the ones I use and they improve fit and sound so much. Initially they take time to get on but after a week or so they stretched to the point that they easily slide on and off now. I wouldn't use AirPods without them now (or EarPods).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K43LCCD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cutiekitty92

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2015
UK
Yes but same as comment before, very quick and easy and for me as it provides the best fit of course I don’t mind one bit to do this. Here is my set up :)

Attachments

• F5368909-CA15-4645-9691-31575C5F6CA5.jpeg
    F5368909-CA15-4645-9691-31575C5F6CA5.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 262

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
I’ve had them a few weeks and love them. Now, I’m not at all a sound quality snob— in fact, I hardly listen to music at all. Instead, I’m on conference calls about 10 hours a day (and also listen to a lot of podcasts and audiobooks). I’ve been using Airpods with ear hooks I have to put on/take off each time (they fall out otherwise), so it is so nice not to have to have that extra step. And the battery life is just night and day for talk time. Today was the first time I’ve heard the low battery sound on them, about 5.5 hours in of back to back conference calls. My Airpods couldn’t get through a single two-hour call, which is my normal call length (I teach online).

I can deal with the big case— I have my old Airpods still living on my keychain for occasional incidental use when I’m out and about. Most of the time, I’m using PBPs at home. If I’m traveling, I’m carrying a bag anyway.

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas
The left bud is hurting my ear, no matter what angle I mold the hooks.
It's disappointing as the right one is perfect and I barely feel that I'm wearing them, even after a few hours.

Strange, I have the same problem. My fix was the Comfy tips medium in right ear and large in the left. Then twist till fit.

I still love them because they Do Not Fall out when I’m active. My one complaint is they are always on. But they last 8 hours so it’s no big deal. I sweat a lot so many others like Jaybirds slip out. PBP stay in and are loud enough to block out sounds. Add this to the virtual All Day battery at least for me and these are a Perfect Work Out product for me.

Last edited:

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2008
i bought these sunday .....i dont think i am going to keep them....
the design is great of the actually buds

case is not very portable compared to the airpods case.
sound is not much better than airpods
ease of use airpods wins again.
airpods 100.00 cheaper
also by now everyone has lightning cables everywhere...so now i gotta carry around a new cable to charge them.
another win for airpods

to me having to carry that case and hook them on your ear with very little sound difference is a deal breaker for me.

i will more than likely take them back by weeks end

Hawkeye16

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Iowa
I don't get your last point, both of them charge by lightning (unless your knock on the PBP is they don't have "wireless" charging).

I have the original Airpods and really like them for work. I have started working out with them a lot because my few Amazon pairs of workout headphones cut out and I find that annoying.

I bought both the PBP and the Jabra Elite Active 65t and after a week and a half of testing each, I am going to stick with the PBP for a few reasons.

1. I love my Airpods, the only reason I want something different for working out is because I sweat a bit and don't want to ruin my Airpods.
2. I can wear them for hours without any pain and I get a really good seal with the provided tips
3. I liked the Jabra but I could not get them to stay in my ear once I start sweating and moving a lot, and I had a couple (infrequent) connection issues that lasted only a second or two each.

I really hate the price of them, but if they function like they are now for at least a few years, they will have been a good investment. I will only use them for working out as I have Airpods that I use while I work and QC35 II that I use for travel.

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
I don't get your last point, both of them charge by lightning (unless your knock on the PBP is they don't have "wireless" charging).

I have the original Airpods and really like them for work. I have started working out with them a lot because my few Amazon pairs of workout headphones cut out and I find that annoying.

I bought both the PBP and the Jabra Elite Active 65t and after a week and a half of testing each, I am going to stick with the PBP for a few reasons.

1. I love my Airpods, the only reason I want something different for working out is because I sweat a bit and don't want to ruin my Airpods.
2. I can wear them for hours without any pain and I get a really good seal with the provided tips
3. I liked the Jabra but I could not get them to stay in my ear once I start sweating and moving a lot, and I had a couple (infrequent) connection issues that lasted only a second or two each.

I really hate the price of them, but if they function like they are now for at least a few years, they will have been a good investment. I will only use them for working out as I have Airpods that I use while I work and QC35 II that I use for travel.
For what it's worth, the Airpods have waterproofing built into them. Not sure why Apple doesn't certify them though.

weeesss

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2017
Anyone compare these to the Bose Soundsport Free? Been using them for the past year since I could never get the Airpods to stay in my ears. The Bose work fine but are stick out and are uncomfortable using in bed.

Anyone use them for watching tv in bed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.