Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
Strange, I have the same problem. My fix was the Comfy tips medium in right ear and large in the left. Then twist till fit.

I still love them because they Do Not Fall out when I’m active. My one complaint is they are always on. But they last 8 hours so it’s no big deal. I sweat a lot so many others like Jaybirds slip out. PBP stay in and are loud enough to block out sounds. Add this to the virtual All Day battery at least for me and these are a Perfect Work Out product for me.

It doesn’t hurt my ear canal themselves but the back of my ear where the hooks sit.

I bought the AirPods 2 with wireless case instead and they’re much more comfortable.

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas
Anyone compare these to the Bose Soundsport Free? Been using them for the past year since I could never get the Airpods to stay in my ears. The Bose work fine but are stick out and are uncomfortable using in bed.

Anyone use them for watching tv in bed?

Don’t you lose them at night sleeping? They appear to fall out super easy.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Anyone compare these to the Bose Soundsport Free? Been using them for the past year since I could never get the Airpods to stay in my ears. The Bose work fine but are stick out and are uncomfortable using in bed.

Anyone use them for watching tv in bed?

In terms of SQ I liked the Bose Over the AirPods but my initial thoughts is I like these more. Wasn’t a huge fan of the Powerbeats 3 but these aren’t bad.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
My prior set of headphones were the Beats X which worked great. I purchased the Powerbeats two weeks ago. FYI, most Apple locations are out of them. But, you may find them in stock at Best Buy. In the Washington DC area 10 Apple locations were out of stock. Six Best Buy locations had 1-4 in stock.

Overall, I'm impressed and I am fairly particular about headsets. I prefer small, simple and easy to use. Mine are for business calls, streaming video, etc.

PROS
- A few people mentioned poor sound quality. I have not experienced this. Make sure the current cup is selected for your ear. These have excellent sound quality for me. Turned up half way I couldn't hear anyone in the room speaking. Turned up to max volume my ear hurt and there is plenty of base. I don't use these for music so it's not a big deal for me. I just need good volume to hear phone calls.

- They stay in the ear. I did 100 jumping jacks and these did not move. The ear loop is adjustable and they stay in place.

- They are very light. As many mentioned these are light to the point where you don't recall having them on.

- They easily stay charged for 6-8 hours. I have yet to use them non-stop for eight hours, but I have used them for about 5-6 hours and they were fine. Also, the case charges the headphones so that's a serious plus. I've used them each day for a week and the only charging I've done is with the case. The case has yet to be charged.

- They look slim on you. Minimalist and clean.

- I love the buttons. There are three and it's all you need. Siri also works like a charm.

CONS
- The price point is high in my opinion. At $250 these need to last a while.

- The case is large. You cannot place these in your pocket, however if the battery lasts 6-8 hours you don't really need the case unless you plan on taking them on/off regularly. The case is best stored in a bag/home/office. However, I assume the case is larger due to the ear warp and the larger battery to change the headset for a week (as they stated).

CONCLUSION
- If you can afford it, try these out. You can always return them. But, there's several similar in the $150-$200 price point.

Reactions: cryptonator

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
My prior set of headphones were the Beats X which worked great. I purchased the Powerbeats two weeks ago. FYI, most Apple locations are out of them. But, you may find them in stock at Best Buy. In the Washington DC area 10 Apple locations were out of stock. Six Best Buy locations had 1-4 in stock.

Overall, I'm impressed and I am fairly particular about headsets. I prefer small, simple and easy to use. Mine are for business calls, streaming video, etc.

PROS
- A few people mentioned poor sound quality. I have not experienced this. Make sure the current cup is selected for your ear. These have excellent sound quality for me. Turned up half way I couldn't hear anyone in the room speaking. Turned up to max volume my ear hurt and there is plenty of base. I don't use these for music so it's not a big deal for me. I just need good volume to hear phone calls.

- They stay in the ear. I did 100 jumping jacks and these did not move. The ear loop is adjustable and they stay in place.

- They are very light. As many mentioned these are light to the point where you don't recall having them on.

- They easily stay charged for 6-8 hours. I have yet to use them non-stop for eight hours, but I have used them for about 5-6 hours and they were fine. Also, the case charges the headphones so that's a serious plus. I've used them each day for a week and the only charging I've done is with the case. The case has yet to be charged.

- They look slim on you. Minimalist and clean.

- I love the buttons. There are three and it's all you need. Siri also works like a charm.

CONS
- The price point is high in my opinion. At $250 these need to last a while.

- The case is large. You cannot place these in your pocket, however if the battery lasts 6-8 hours you don't really need the case unless you plan on taking them on/off regularly. The case is best stored in a bag/home/office. However, I assume the case is larger due to the ear warp and the larger battery to change the headset for a week (as they stated).

CONCLUSION
- If you can afford it, try these out. You can always return them. But, there's several similar in the $150-$200 price point.

In NYC all the Apple stores have them in stock. My bestbuy which I got them had around 6 in display and maybe more in the back . I got them from beetbuy because I have Elite so 30 day return policy and points.

There is nothing in the $150-$200 range like this other then the Kilpsch T5 which is $200 and not even out yet. Battery life is a priority and this with 8-9 hours is one of the few. The T5 has an advertised 8 hours

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles
I’ve had them a few weeks and love them. Now, I’m not at all a sound quality snob— in fact, I hardly listen to music at all. Instead, I’m on conference calls about 10 hours a day (and also listen to a lot of podcasts and audiobooks). I’ve been using Airpods with ear hooks I have to put on/take off each time (they fall out otherwise), so it is so nice not to have to have that extra step. And the battery life is just night and day for talk time. Today was the first time I’ve heard the low battery sound on them, about 5.5 hours in of back to back conference calls. My Airpods couldn’t get through a single two-hour call, which is my normal call length (I teach online).

I can deal with the big case— I have my old Airpods still living on my keychain for occasional incidental use when I’m out and about. Most of the time, I’m using PBPs at home. If I’m traveling, I’m carrying a bag anyway.
You may have sold me. I’ve been looking for exactly this feedback as I need them more for calls than music.

Reactions: DoubleFlyaway

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
With the Sony WF-1000XM3 at $230, would that be a good alternative to AirPods 2 and PBP?

I'm particularly interested in the noise cancelling for such a small set of earbuds.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
My one complaint is about the case, but not the size of it but more than the charging point or mechanism inside, while magnetic is iffy for me. Tend to have one charge and the other doesn't unless i'm fiddling with exact placement. Oh, and not quite being able to tell if both are actually charging.

dan-K

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
Hi guys,

I’ve recently swapped out my initial pair of PBPs for a new pair as I was having issues with the mic on my old pair.

The magnets within the case that hold the headphones in place are noticeably much stronger with my new pair. In addition, the rattle on the case has gone.

Not sure if this is just a fluke or it’s the result of a new batch, but thought I’d let you guys know.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
My one complaint is about the case, but not the size of it but more than the charging point or mechanism inside, while magnetic is iffy for me. Tend to have one charge and the other doesn't unless i'm fiddling with exact placement. Oh, and not quite being able to tell if both are actually charging.
Yup. It happened a few times to me that I took them out of the case and one was completely discharged because it hadn't made proper contact with the case.

Also, the case IS too fat. I think they could easily have made it a bit slimmer by tilting the earbuds more.

Apart from the case, I'm quite happy with them.

Hi Tek

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2015
Canada, Hali
I too needed to switch to the large silicone ear tips to get to my desired sound quality.

Coming from Jaybird, I miss the app that gives you the ability to create sound equalizer settings to your liking. Wish Beats had this.

Can't you still use the app as an EQ adjuster? try flipping between different EQs anyway and see if it works. Used to do this in my car for the extra heavy bass EQs lol (Jaybirds were at home)

mtulman1

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2015
I had first gen airpods from day 1 and the battery is toast. I bought version 2 and thought meh I need to try the power beats. I used them a weak and my biggest issue was the fatigue I felt in my ears. Mostly with the hook around the back. They felt so heavy coming from air pods. I bet it would be different had I never used airpods. Back they went and now I’ll use my crappy airpods until the next ones come out.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I've just had a strange connection problem this morning when attempting to run a half marathon. Only the right earbud would connect and play music from my watch. No matter how many times I took the left bud out of my ear and tried to get it to switch on and connect, it wouldn't. When I got home and tried both again they connected just fine to my phone and played audio through both.

I think they have some bugs that need to be ironed out.

sshams95

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2009
Can't you still use the app as an EQ adjuster? try flipping between different EQs anyway and see if it works. Used to do this in my car for the extra heavy bass EQs lol (Jaybirds were at home)

Just tried. Did not work. I may try the JetAudio app that has EQ functionality.

Hi Tek

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2015
Canada, Hali
Just tried. Did not work. I may try the JetAudio app that has EQ functionality.

Let me know how that goes. I'm on x3s but I am considering the PBP.. The only thing holding me back is that price tag... (I'm in Canada - I do have employee discount through work though)

Jay26

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2009
Was torn between both but decided to go for the AirPods 2 and I’m very happy with them. Was concerned about the fit but they’re actually really not bad at all. Got myself some silicone tips from amazon to help it :)

Silicone tips turned mine from good to great.

Which tips did you both go with? How did they specifically help? I just bought Airpods 2 and I do enjoy them, but they are a little loose in my ears, especially my right ear. I'm wondering if the tips help to snug up the fit. Thanks!

Edit: Do the Airpods fit in the case with the tips attached?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I've just had a strange connection problem this morning when attempting to run a half marathon. Only the right earbud would connect and play music from my watch. No matter how many times I took the left bud out of my ear and tried to get it to switch on and connect, it wouldn't. When I got home and tried both again they connected just fine to my phone and played audio through both.

I think they have some bugs that need to be ironed out.
Put both back to the case, take them out again, this will solve most connection issues. But if you're running a half marathon... better check if both buds are playing music before hand.

Reactions: pgharavi

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
Which tips did you both go with? How did they specifically help? I just bought Airpods 2 and I do enjoy them, but they are a little loose in my ears, especially my right ear. I'm wondering if the tips help to snug up the fit. Thanks!

I got mine from Amazon. The brand is Ahastyle. They have different models, but mine have an ear tip to hold it in place and then an ear canal piece that helps direct the music into my ear without the physical portion actually blocking my ear canal, which I hate. And no, they don't fit in the case, so you have to take them on and off. Literally takes me seconds to get them on now after they stretched for a few days.

Cutiekitty92

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2015
UK

So about this... aha. I had the very same problem. Even with tips they just didn’t sit well and it became problematic for me. I ended up returning them for this very reason. By the time you’ve faffed with tips etc it just defeats the object of the AirPods. They became not convenient at all. You have to take them on and off every time they don’t fit in the charge case with tips on. I happily went back to buying a new pair of BeatsX

Reactions: haruhiko

Jaunty

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2004
London, England
Having returned my Power Beats Pro, I picked up some Jabra 65t Elite Sport in the Prime Day deals for £108 GBP. They fit well on medium tips, somehow are very secure, sound decent, block out most sound, have just about use-able buttons, and Siri works every time. Oh, and the case is tiny and fits in any pocket. They seem a bit lightweight build wise esp the case but I can live with that. 2 year warranty - although expect I will lose one before then!

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
All in all, I only have one complain: the noise isolation is not sufficient and therefore I have to crank the volume up to very high level in other to enjoy any music in the subway.

The BeatsX had much better sealing and I only needed to set to about 50% of the volume and the music was already very loud.

Note: I did change to a very fitting tip.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I’d like some kind of third party dummy case, no battery, as small as possible, for carrying purposes. I see people on here using a pouch but ideally I’d like a hard shell.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
Put both back to the case, take them out again, this will solve most connection issues. But if you're running a half marathon... better check if both buds are playing music before hand.

Or go in the bluetooth settings of the Watch and make sure the left is connected / disconnect and reconnect it.

Probably easier to just put the Watch in Plane Mode for a few seconds, then restart the music - the Watch will ask where to send the music and the buds should reconnect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.