Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Battle

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2003
Los Angeles
All you doubters are pathetic. If we see 3 Ghz machines ANYTIME THIS MONTH, Neatgekko will be the NEW thats right NEW source for inside info. And the funny thing is all you HATERS will be the same ones emailing him about whats next at Apple. I say this because Jobs predicted 3GHZ by summer. NOBODY but Neatgekko predicts earlier. That's a HUGE prediction considering everyone speculated about MAX 2.6 machines. So, in my opinion, if we see 3GHz machines in the next coming weeks all you HATERS will be eating crow and then emailing him about what's next for the summer. I believe you Neatgekko. No doubts whatsoever. Just makes sense to me. Period.

Eric Battle

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: I'm not implying anything here but..

Originally posted by ffakr
I'm not implying anything here but.. Do any of the list moderators have access to source IP logs? I'd be interested, purely for random curiosity.. to compare invaLPsion's ip with NetGekko's.
It just occured to me that there is only one person sticking up for Gekko.. and that person has switched to pushing Gekko's story now.

They do not appear to be posting from the same location.

ffakr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2002
Chicago
Originally posted by Eric Battle
And the funny thing is all you HATERS will be the same ones emailing him about whats next at Apple. I say this because Jobs predicted 3GHZ by summer. NOBODY but Neatgekko predicts earlier. Eric Battle

If Apple pushes these updates back any further, they will come out at 3GHz... though I don't suppose anyone would find it odd that Apple would ship 3GHz desktops before they shipped the 2GHz xServe cluster nodes that they already announced. Hmnn..

Irregardless, no one is doubting netgekko.. it's quite clear that he has been wrong 6 times already. I think "Doubt" would indicate that there was still some question regarding netgekko's predictions. It's quite clear that he/she is saying a lot but not saying anything.

If Apple does ship a 3GHz desktop in 2, 3, 4 weeks, that doesn't mean anything in regard to NetGekko's credibilty. Anyone can make an off the cuff prediction and just repeat it until it comes true. Let me make two predictions myself to illustrate my great inside information.
1) The Pope will die next week. (or the week after, or the week after, or the week after)
2) Apple will move the iMac line to the G5 next week (or the week after, or the week after..) I'll even say that it will be introduced at 2GHz.

I'm pretty certain that both could very well happen in the relatively near future but I don't work for Apple and I don't work in the Vatican. By the logic being espoused in this thread.. if the Pope died in 3 months, everyone would be like 'oh crap, Ffakr knew the pope was going to die! He must be a Cardinal or something'.

The crux of the argument for Gekko is that NetGekko will be vindicated by the specific claim that the next rev will be 3 GHz. This completely misses the fact that NetGekko's statemtents were very specific on two points.. speed and time frame. He has been wrong time and time again on timeframe.. so irregardless of the release speed of the next bump, it can only be viewed as coincidence at this point.

Don't worry, I won't bothering NetGekko for tips if Apple releases a 3GHz G5 next week, or the week after, or in the Summer.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
All you doubters are pathetic. If we see 3 Ghz machines ANYTIME THIS MONTH, Neatgekko will be the NEW thats right NEW source for inside info. And the funny thing is all you HATERS will be the same ones emailing him about whats next at Apple. I say this because Jobs predicted 3GHZ by summer. NOBODY but Neatgekko predicts earlier. That's a HUGE prediction considering everyone speculated about MAX 2.6 machines. So, in my opinion, if we see 3GHz machines in the next coming weeks all you HATERS will be eating crow and then emailing him about what's next for the summer. I believe you Neatgekko. No doubts whatsoever. Just makes sense to me. Period.

Eric Battle

I predict them earlier than "summer" too.

Now, if they come, I claim Oracle Status as well!

(This is so retarded...)

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Originally posted by john123
(This is so retarded...)
Duff-Man says.....you got that right...it has gotten so out of hand, now it's "cloak and dagger" PM's to another who won't say what neatgekko claims now...either cough up the so-called "info" and show us you are right, or butt the heck out....oh yeah!

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
All you doubters are pathetic.

To whom exactly are you referring? I don't think anyone here is a doubter, I think it is a simple fact that NeatGekko has stated that the 3 GHz G5s would be out at certain times and he was wrong - multiple times. It's not a question of doubt, it's a question of fact. NeatGekko has repeatedly made claims, saying he knew exactly what would happen, and he has been wrong. It's fact. This has nothing to do with doubt.

If we see 3 Ghz machines ANYTIME THIS MONTH, Neatgekko will be the NEW thats right NEW source for inside info. And the funny thing is all you HATERS will be the same ones emailing him about whats next at Apple.

And why is that? Because he said there would be 3 GHz machines? Your comment is completely illogical. Anyone can make a statement like that and eventually be right.

Okay Eric, here's one for you: I, Shard, state, as a fact, that G5 iMacs will be released on Tuesday. Yep, it's a FACT. Oh, and don't worry, because if they don't come out on Tuesday, I'll just change my statement and say next Tuesday. And then the following Tuesday. And then "the week of", etc. etc. And eventually, when I'm right, you can start PMing me or e-mailing me for more "insider info" since I was obviously right. Sound good?

I say this because Jobs predicted 3GHZ by summer. NOBODY but Neatgekko predicts earlier. That's a HUGE prediction considering everyone speculated about MAX 2.6 machines.

You really need to read these forums more often. There are more and more people speculating that the next speed bump may in fact be up to 3 GHz, due to the length of time it's been since updates, and the fact that Jobs said there would be 3 GHz in the summer - the timing involved in 2 speed bumps (a 2.6 and then a 3, let's say) is becoming more and more unlikely due to the short period of time that would be involved. So when you say "NOBODY but NeatGekko predicts earlier" you are completely wrong. Just stating the facts and nothing else.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002

Eric Battle

This is exactly what I was trying to say. But logic apparently doesn't mean much to those flaming Gekko. I personally have no idea if Gekko knows anything at all about the next G5 release, but, as you said, if 3GHz G5s are released within weeks (= way way way earlier than expected/announced by Jobs), Gekko will be right and the flamers will be wrong. Not that they would ever concede this...

ionas

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2003
Old Europe
Burning G5 3ghz story

not only neatgekko but you all should get a life ;p

neatgekko wasn't a reliable source in the past. we all know that, if that changes, it changes, if not, then not. nothing that really matters in any way.

the timeframe shrinks but just to remind you about last year, the g5 was announced in mid summer and shipped in late autumn to winter.

steven can say so much things, and he can do very good marketing but still he can just SAY things, and in fact they can be different later on.

so as long as we do not see any trustable new information there might be new bumps below 3ghz as well as 3ghz in mid summer or 3ghz just right b4 x-mas.

i ll just wait, as long as my winblow machine runs and does not kick my ass around again (like so many times in the past) i do not have a real need to buy it now or later - further i just want rev. b.

so its not up to me but up to apple when i buy :)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Originally posted by the future
But logic apparently doesn't mean much to those flaming Gekko.

Logic doesn't mean much? Really? Funny, logic is all that quite a few of these posts have been based on, so you couldn't be further from being correct. You want logic, okay, here ya go:

3 GhZ G5's are coming before feb. Cheers
posted 1/7

3GHz G5's this month. Cheers
posted 1/7

I will be sending out my "I told you so's" tuesday morning.
posted 1/3

They will be at 3ghz FOR SURE by MWSF. THIS IS A FACT
posted 1/2

If I am wrong I will eat my right hand. Lets put it that way. One of those, "not sure I was supposed to know" situations...but I think since everyone knows mini ipods are coming...might as well let the...
posted 1/2

5 statements, all made my NeatGekko, all incorrect, yet stated as fact at the time. And there are more. LOGIC, as you refer to, is recognizing that NeatGekko has been completely wrong on all of the above predictions, and people have simply been pointing this out.

if 3GHz G5s are released within weeks (= way way way earlier than expected/announced by Jobs), Gekko will be right and the flamers will be wrong. Not that they would ever concede this...

If the 3 GHz is released, and even if you want to go out on a limb and give NeatGekko credit for it, then that will be one correct "prediction" and at least 5 incorrect ones, as stated above. Let's make it 6 or 7 for good measure. Hmm, 1-6 - yah, that's a good track record. :rolleyes:

You do realize that statistically, even someone not trying to hit the bullseye will eventually do it, given enough time?

Please read my above post in reply to Mr. Battle's comments on the whole "Gekko being right, everyone else being wrong" idea, and my example involving G5 iMacs, as I don't feel like repeating myself yet again... This whole debate is getting tiresome...

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by ~Shard~
(...) 5 statements, all made my NeatGekko, all incorrect, yet stated as fact at the time. (...) If the 3 GHz is released, and even if you want to go out on a limb and give NeatGekko credit for it, then that will be one correct "prediction" and at least 5 incorrect ones, as stated above. Let's make it 6 or 7 for good measure. Hmm, 1-6 - yah, that's a good track record.

Those are not 5 examples, that is 1 example repeated 5 times over. Yeah, Gekko was wrong with the dates he predicted, but dates may change inside of Apple without him or his alleged sources knowing anything about it. Again, if 3GHz G5s come out, say, in February, I will give Gekko and his source credit for predicting something no-one else predicted. (Just as the 249 $ pricetag on the iPod mini :) ). And you should do the same.

Eric Battle

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2003
Los Angeles
Those are not 5 examples, that is 1 example repeated 5 times over. Yeah, Gekko was wrong with the dates he predicted, but dates may change inside of Apple without him or his alleged sources knowing anything about it. Again, if 3GHz G5s come out, say, in February, I will give Gekko and his source credit for predicting something no-one else predicted. (Just as the 249 $ pricetag on the iPod mini :) ). And you should do the same.

THANK YOU!! Somebody that understands what I'm saying. In response to those who responded to me... BOTTOM LINE if we see G5' 3ghz in FEB He was right- PERIOD! Why? Cause YOU (all of you who are flaming Neatgekko) Didn't predict ANYTHING! You say that he's 1-6? You've predicted nothing! Correct me if I'm wrong. You provided NO info AT ALL! Nothing about Mini-ipods- no prices nothing. Sure, speculation but not prediction. Look, if neatgekko is a fraud or liar or whatever, then I'll be the first to admit- I was duped. But if he's right will you admit it? Probablly not. And if anyone's wondering who this post is specifically directed at- its all of you who flamed Neatgekko. Word UP!

Eric Battle

Bilba

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2004
I am sorry, maybe I am missing something, but what is the latest so called prediction?

Is it that 3.0 G5 will be available in Feb? in March? or is it just that the next G5 will be 3.0 (with no given timeframe).

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001

This is ridiculous. Think about what you're saying -- that the dates don't matter because he doesn't know them.

Fine -- then what you are really saying is that HIS PREDICTION IS THAT THE POWER MACS WILL BE BOLSTERED FROM 2 GHZ TO 3 GHZ MODELS WITHOUT ANY INTERMEDIATE REVISION.

That is not that bold of a prediction. People have been speculating for some time -- indeed, since the introduction of the Power Mac G5s -- that there might not be an intermediate model. If that is the case, it's hardly cause for celebration of NeatGekko's soothsaying abilities.

More to the point, even if the dates do "change inside Apple," as you assert, it's irresponsible of the guy to post EMPHATIC messages GUARANTEEING the arrival of new machines at particular points in time without more concrete information. Sadly, people look to these forums for sales advice and counsel, and acne-ridden teenagers with magic 8 balls have a nasty habit of ruining things for everyone.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
THANK YOU!! Somebody that understands what I'm saying. In response to those who responded to me... BOTTOM LINE if we see G5' 3ghz in FEB He was right- PERIOD! Why? Cause YOU (all of you who are flaming Neatgekko) Didn't predict ANYTHING! You say that he's 1-6? You've predicted nothing! Correct me if I'm wrong. You provided NO info AT ALL! Nothing about Mini-ipods- no prices nothing. Sure, speculation but not prediction. Look, if neatgekko is a fraud or liar or whatever, then I'll be the first to admit- I was duped. But if he's right will you admit it? Probablly not. And if anyone's wondering who this post is specifically directed at- its all of you who flamed Neatgekko. Word UP!

Eric Battle

Dude, I want some of what you're smoking.

Do a search for iPods on these forums. You'll find predictions dating at least back to December (HEAVY discussion of mini iPods then).

And you yourself just confused the difference between "speculation" and "prediction." 1-out-of-6 is pretty crappy for predictions...and therefore is better classified as "speculation."

The difference between NeatGekko and others on this board -- and the reason why the guy burns up the butts of many -- is that he SPECULATES but proclaims stuff as FACT. If you have a hunch, based on common sense or intuition or whatever, call it so. But since the guy is 1-and-6, that pretty clearly indicates that's all it is: a speculation.

Speculation is sometimes successful. Just as was the case in the gold rush, some people struck rich. That's the nature of the laws of probability -- it's gonna happen. That some of them struck it rich was not always because they had inside information regarding where to find the gold.

Same principle applies here.

Bilba

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2004

Fine -- then what you are really saying is that HIS PREDICTION IS THAT THE POWER MACS WILL BE BOLSTERED FROM 2 GHZ TO 3 GHZ MODELS WITHOUT ANY INTERMEDIATE REVISION.

More to the point, even if the dates do "change inside Apple," as you assert, it's irresponsible of the guy to post EMPHATIC messages GUARANTEEING the arrival of new machines at particular points in time without more concrete information. Sadly, people look to these forums for sales advice and counsel, and acne-ridden teenagers with magic 8 balls have a nasty habit of ruining things for everyone.

I agree 100%.
Reducing predictions to model rather than time frame is not much of a prediction. esp. when such predictions have been made in the past by others. It just seems wierd that at one point he stated with bold captial latters specific date, and now he settles for model speculations.

Me saying that the next pbook will be a G5 has some probability to be correct. It does not mean that I have inside information. On the other hand, me stating that Apple will anounce a 1.6/1.8/2.0 G5 powerbook tomorrow, is far less likely, given the fact that it is far less likely to be correct. Such a statement based on speculation will only portary me as an ass.

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
Words from NeatGekko

This is what NeatGekko told me in a PM:

"Here's the deal on the powermac release dates. Back in October, Apple was ready to ship 2.6ghz as the high end, but opted to adjust the lower models instead and wait until the bump to 3ghz. 3ghz were NOT going to be released at mwsf as I stated...I fused the info about the pods with the ones about the macs. Sorry about that. They WERE however planned to be release on the 24th on Jan. Problems came up with the price issue. Apple will be extending the line to 4 models....so there issues with non-apple retailers. Other than that, I do not know...I am hopeful that on the tuesday meeting they will give the go ahead. But I've been hoping that every week. I do know for sure that they will be released this month.

3ghz will be the top of the line with 3 models behind it. It will be more expenisive then the current top of the line...so save a little extra if you want it. Other than that, the prices should stay the same. (Since thats whats been causing problems.)"

NeatGekko also told me about his sources but I will not disclose them as he probably wouldn't want me to. I can tell you that his source sounds very credible.

After reading this I hope you guys won't go all ballistic and maybe actually will become a bit more understanding as to the situation, give Gekko a break...:rolleyes:

P.S. I am have no idea who NeatGekko really is or where he lives, so I can assure you that he and I are not one in the same.

Bilba

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2004
This gives us something to work with.
Not only is he forcasting the introduction of a 3.0 machine, he is stating that it will happen this mounth, AND that thare are going to be 4 models.

If this comes true, it goes beyond speculation.

Time will tell, chance #1 is soon enough.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by Bilba
This gives us something to work with.
Not only is he forcasting the introduction of a 3.0 machine, he is stating that it will happen this mounth, AND that thare are going to be 4 models.

If this comes true, it goes beyond speculation.

Time will tell, chance #1 is soon enough.

Agreed.

It sounds a little hokey to me that 2.6Ghz models were ready to ship "in October" but didn't for the reasons provided. But that's a non-falsifiable hypothesis (absent someone posting some really cool documents), so we'll ignore that for the moment.

So we have several concrete pieces of "information":
* 4 models
* Prices on existing models remain the same
* New 4th model (3Ghz model) more expensive
* Introduced this month

So yes, time will tell.

As I and others mentioned before, the irksome part is when one forecasts something -- be it a product or a timetable -- and says that the proclamation is an "absolute certainty" when, in reality, it's not.

Incidentally, nailing one or two of the above items and missing the other ones shouldn't necessarily lend credence to NeatGekko's credibility. Constantly explaining away things when you're wrong by saying, "Oh, they changed their minds" only can go so far. In my opinion, if more than one of the items above is incorrect, then the prediction was pretty worthless.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....while I certainly would like to purchase a new dual 3GHz G5 this month, I find it a bit odd to say that 2.6 was ready in October when Apple was barely just shipping the 2 GHz G5's.....oh yeah!

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
This is ridiculous. Think about what you're saying -- that the dates don't matter because he doesn't know them.

That is not that bold of a prediction. People have been speculating for some time -- indeed, since the introduction of the Power Mac G5s -- that there might not be an intermediate model. If that is the case, it's hardly cause for celebration of NeatGekko's soothsaying abilities.

Dude, is it really so hard to understand the difference between "3 GHz G5s are coming very very soon" (as Gekko and no-one else claims) and "There will be no intermediate revision before 3 GHz G5s will come in late summer" (as others speculate)??

What is *really* ridiculous, though, is to say that a poster on a freakin' rumors site has any kind of responsibility for the truthfulness of his posts. If you base your buying decision on something like this, you don't seem to understand the very nature of rumor sites.

djbahdow01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Northeast, CT
Yes it would be nice to have a 3.0 GHz G5, but think of all the other upgrades they could be doing to the G5, increasing hard drive space, as the ne 90nm process is a lot smaller and puts off a lot less heat so we've been told. Also Pioneer has come out with an internal 8x DVD-R writer. If you look at the G5 system profile they are running pioneer drives. I saw it the other day when i went to the Apple store in Aventura, yes it was only a 4x drive but they might upgrade, why not increases productivity. And i am also looking for the new ATI 9800 256mb card as a BTO.
Once again these are the things that would be nice but who knows what the Apple insiders have in mind, i know i have no clue but these things would be nice.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Dude, is it really so hard to understand the difference between "3 GHz G5s are coming very very soon" (as Gekko and no-one else claims) and "There will be no intermediate revision before 3 GHz G5s will come in late summer" (as others speculate)??

What is *really* ridiculous, though, is to say that a poster on a freakin' rumors site has any kind of responsibility for the truthfulness of his posts. If you base your buying decision on something like this, you don't seem to understand the very nature of rumor sites.

"Dude," other people have speculated for some time now that we will see 3Ghz machines before summer. The problem is that the guy predicted that they'd appear at MWSF. You're right -- very few people predicted that. And those that did -- NeatGekko included -- were wrong.

Now we were told that 3Ghz would be hit by this summer. It's not even a stretch to take what Jobs said and posit that machines might be introduced in the spring (i.e., in the coming weeks) with a long wait for delivery.

More to the point, as each day and each week passes, it becomes more likely for a 3Ghz announcement anyway. It's like the light bulb in a Poisson distribution (if you don't know what that is, don't bother). Additionally, a little common sense should tell you that if Jobs told people 3Ghz machines would arrive by summer, that guarantee means that as summer approaches, savvy buyers will be increasingly inclined to delay their purchases, counting on the fact that their delay will translate into getting more bang for the buck. Therefore, as a result, Jobs & company have every incentive to accelerate the announced timetable so as to avoid a precipitous decline in sales caused by nothing more than consumer expectations.

If 3Ghz machines had come out last month like the guy predicted, I'd give him some props. If they come out this month, he saves some face although is my no means an infallible oracle. Any time after that and we're just talking about some pretty predictable economic behavior -- nothing groundbreaking really.

Oh, and as for your snotty comment about basing buying decisions on rumor sites: I'm going to assume that the "you" term you used wasn't directed at me...because if it was, it suggests you can't read, since I clearly stated that some people read rumor sites for buying information but didn't say that I did. In any event, rumor sites can provide you with invaluable assistance on buying. Common sense can go a long way toward telling you what the future holds, and sometimes ideas will come to some people that might not come to others. That's the nature of an interactive community -- the sharing of ideas. Furthermore, there are some rumor sites with pretty good track records (ThinkSecret comes to mind) that can and, in my opinion, should influence buying decisions.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
"Dude," other people have speculated for some time now that we will see 3Ghz machines before summer.

Yeah? Who?

It's not even a stretch to take what Jobs said and posit that machines might be introduced in the spring (i.e., in the coming weeks) with a long wait for delivery.

Gekko didn't say anything about a wait for delivery, quite the opposite.

More to the point, as each day and each week passes, it becomes more likely for a 3Ghz announcement anyway.

You make it sound like summer is right around the corner. Time to look for my sunglasses, then...

Additionally, a little common sense should tell you that if Jobs told people 3Ghz machines would arrive by summer, that guarantee means that as summer approaches, savvy buyers will be increasingly inclined to delay their purchases, counting on the fact that their delay will translate into getting more bang for the buck. Therefore, as a result, Jobs & company have every incentive to accelerate the announced timetable so as to avoid a precipitous decline in sales caused by nothing more than consumer expectations.

Following this "logic", every product would come out before the date it was originally announced to come out. [hint] You're wrong. [/hint]

If 3Ghz machines had come out last month like the guy predicted, I'd give him some props. If they come out this month, he saves some face although is my no means an infallible oracle.

Nobody claims Gekko is infallible or an oracle (or both). I made quite clear that I personally doubt we will see 3 GHz G5s very soon.

Oh, and as for your snotty comment about basing buying decisions on rumor sites

Let's leave it to the community to judge who appears "snotty" in this discussion, shall we?

In any event, rumor sites can provide you with invaluable assistance on buying. Furthermore, there are some rumor sites with pretty good track records (ThinkSecret comes to mind) that can and, in my opinion, should influence buying decisions.

That's true, but it really really really (I mean: REALLY) doesn't make any sense to compare Gekko to ThinkSecret.

Peace, brother. All we really want are faster G5s ASAP, right? So let's keep our collective fingers crossed and enjoy some friendly conversation in the interim.

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
Since Apple has not released any processor updates to the G5 since their introduction (other than making the 1.8 a Dual), it is fair to say that anybody that has predicted a revision to occur at any time from December to the present has been wrong -- Gekko included.

But, you know what, who cares? A prediction is not a rumor. I've predicted that the new G5s will appear in March. What do I base this on? Pure speculation, based on the new 10.3.3 seed. But I have no reliable source, so take it or leave it.

Based on Gekko's past predictions, it doesn't look like he has a reliable source either. But if want to believe, go ahead.

In the meantime, I'd love to hear from someone who, in fact, does have a source.

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
Originally posted by numediaman
Since Apple has not released any processor updates to the G5 since their introduction (other than making the 1.8 a Dual), it is fair to say that anybody that has predicted a revision to occur at any time from December to the present has been wrong -- Gekko included.

But, you know what, who cares? A prediction is not a rumor. I've predicted that the new G5s will appear in March. What do I base this on? Pure speculation, based on the new 10.3.3 seed. But I have no reliable source, so take it or leave it.

Based on Gekko's past predictions, it doesn't look like he has a reliable source either. But if want to believe, go ahead.

In the meantime, I'd love to hear from someone who, in fact, does have a source.

Gekko does have a source, he told me who it is and I think he's telling the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.