Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which colour are you pre-ordering?

• Silver

Votes: 25 16.0%
  • Space Grey

Votes: 97 62.2%
  • Gold

Votes: 34 21.8%

• Total voters

Mystro

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2011
I have been wishing for a big iPad for years now. I am ordering a Pro 128gb Gold to match my recent mini 4 gold 128gb purchase. I'm doing my part to stimulate the economy and help Apple have a lucrative year.

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
I have been wishing for a big iPad for years now. I am ordering a Pro 128gb Gold to match my recent mini 4 gold 128gb purchase. I'm doing my part to stimulate the economy and help Apple have a lucrative year.
Why a mini and a pro?

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Why a mini and a pro?

As opposed to an Air 2 and a Pro?

It seems to make more sense to have the sizes further apart rather than nearer.

Unless you mean why buy another iPad to go along with the iPad Pro. Well then you can ask me as well, I have all 3 (Mini 4, Air 2 and eventually iPad Pro)

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
As opposed to an Air 2 and a Pro?

It seems to make more sense to have the sizes further apart rather than nearer.

Unless you mean why buy another iPad to go along with the iPad Pro. Well then you can ask me as well, I have all 3 (Mini 4, Air 2 and eventually iPad Pro)
I mean the latter, why have every one? I currently have an Air 2 but that will go if I do get a Pro (seems highly likely) but what's the point in all three? I am just curious about the purpose, not saying it is a poor idea of anything.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
I mean the latter, why have every one? I currently have an Air 2 but that will go if I do get a Pro (seems highly likely) but what's the point in all three? I am just curious about the purpose, not saying it is a poor idea of anything.

Ah that's a good question. I generally prefer to use the mini when on the go / commuting. Despite being larger than the 6+, it feels more balanced when I use it. The Air 2 feels more like something I'd use on the bed or sitting at a table, i.e. when I'm stationary.

I have to admit I have no idea what place the Pro will take when I do get it, but based on the "Pro" moniker, I have a feeling it'll see more use in the office.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
(Note that probably 99.9% people will have no need for more than 1 iPad. I'm a little iPad crazy; I've owned every single iteration of the iPad - 1, 2, 3 , 4, Air, Air 2, mini 1, mini 2, mini 3). My first iOS device was not an iPhone, it was an iPad.

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Ah that's a good question. I generally prefer to use the mini when on the go / commuting. Despite being larger than the 6+, it feels more balanced when I use it. The Air 2 feels more like something I'd use on the bed or sitting at a table, i.e. when I'm stationary.

I have to admit I have no idea what place the Pro will take when I do get it, but based on the "Pro" moniker, I have a feeling it'll see more use in the office.
I'm getting the 6s plus to replace my 6 and when I use the mini 2 my girlfriend has, the size difference is just too negligible for me. I could see it being a good replacement nav system in a car, though, if the car doesn't have it.

This is where my Air 2 has all its use (and is used more than my rMBP). My initial thoughts are to use this as my new bed side companion, thinking a better display and more RAM will generate a better experience. However, part of me thinks that it could be too big, don't you think?

I briefly thought about keeping both but I bought a Nexus 7 a while ago to supplement my iPad at the time (and to experience android) and now it just became a nice bedside clock. That would be my fear of keeping both.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
I'm getting the 6s plus to replace my 6 and when I use the mini 2 my girlfriend has, the size difference is just too negligible for me. I could see it being a good replacement nav system in a car, though, if the car doesn't have it.

It's strange that many people assert the size difference is negligible. As a matter of fact the iPad mini has more than double the screen area of the 6+ - 130% more to be exact, see http://www.displaywars.com/5,5-inch-16x9-vs-7,9-inch-4x3

I do use an old iPad Mini 2 as a GPS (the cellular models are very cheap brand new from certain eBay sales), and it works very well.

This is where my Air 2 has all its use (and is used more than my rMBP). My initial thoughts are to use this as my new bed side companion, thinking a better display and more RAM will generate a better experience. However, part of me thinks that it could be too big, don't you think?

Yes this is a good question. The iPad Pro might not be all that great as a bedside companion - being so large it will also be easier to accidentally break. I'd say stick with the iPad Air 2.

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
It's strange that many people assert the size difference is negligible. As a matter of fact the iPad mini has more than double the screen area of the 6+ - 130% more to be exact, see http://www.displaywars.com/5,5-inch-16x9-vs-7,9-inch-4x3

I do use an old iPad Mini 2 as a GPS (the cellular models are very cheap brand new from certain eBay sales), and it works very well.

Yes this is a good question. The iPad Pro might not be all that great as a bedside companion - being so large it will also be easier to accidentally break. I'd say stick with the iPad Air 2.
I know per an area basis it is considerably more but from a practicality basis, if I had both, I'd probably just grab my 6s plus. That's the problem with having all the sizes, just too much overlap.

I'm not worried about breaking it. I have a drawer where a couple iPads, kindles, and phone charging occurs so it's safe. I'm just wondering how it will be using it at night from a size and weight perspective. Weight really isn't too much of an issue but you get the idea.

Strangely for once, I'm somewhat hesitant on getting this first gen device. I've gotten every other one (watch, iPhone, iPad) but for some reason, the fact that it is missing out on 3D touch makes me wonder. The 6s will be a good test run to see the actual functionality of it but if this will be a core iOS feature and more than a novelty, that will be unfortunate.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
I know per an area basis it is considerably more but from a practicality basis, if I had both, I'd probably just grab my 6s plus. That's the problem with having all the sizes, just too much overlap.

This is a fair point. You always need to carry your phone with you, and the 5.5" screen size is large enough for many scenarios. Taking more than one iOS device with you on the go is a bit of a luxury.

I'm not worried about breaking it. I have a drawer where a couple iPads, kindles, and phone charging occurs so it's safe. I'm just wondering how it will be using it at night from a size and weight perspective. Weight really isn't too much of an issue but you get the idea.

Well what you can do is get it first, use it for a while, then return it within the 14-day window. That should give you a good gauge of how practical it is for bedside use.

Strangely for once, I'm somewhat hesitant on getting this first gen device. I've gotten every other one (watch, iPhone, iPad) but for some reason, the fact that it is missing out on 3D touch makes me wonder. The 6s will be a good test run to see the actual functionality of it but if this will be a core iOS feature and more than a novelty, that will be unfortunate.

Apple appears to use the iPhone as a lead for its latest tech (Smart Keyboard / Pencil notwithstanding). Retina displays, Touch ID, etc. all began with the iPhone and gradually transferred to the iPad. I'm pretty sure 3D Touch will arrive with the next generation of iPads, so you may wish to wait.

Interestingly, the iPad Pro adds a mix to the release cycle. Perhaps now the Air and the Pro will alternate upgrade cycles? But then there is the precedent of the iPad 4 (possible Air 3 in April 2016?) as well as the iPad mini 3 (hardly an upgrade over the 2). It's difficult to predict with any accuracy any cycle other than the iPhone. I was certainly not expecting them to launch new iPads during the iPhone launch event....

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I've been thinking about this for a few days now. If the ipad Pro can detect pressure sensitivity with the Apple Pencil, why can't it emulate 3D touch?

Reactions: gteska

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
I've been thinking about this for a few days now. If the ipad Pro can detect pressure sensitivity with the Apple Pencil, why can't it emulate 3D touch?
It's probably a different display technology, especially considering the necessity for the special pencil.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
4GB probably means user switching is coming in iOS 10.

wouldn't it be cool to just put your finger on the home button and all of your user preferences gets loaded from iCloud? then it gets removed locally once press the suspend button?

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
The difference is in where the pressure sensors lie. 3D Touch in the iPhone (and Force Touch on the Apple Watch) have sensors underneath the display. With the iPad Pro, the pressure sensitivity is in the Apple Pencil, not the iPad Pro. It partly explains why the Apple Pencil is so expensive; it's not just a simple piece of plastic.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
So why can't Apple create a script to bring out 3D touch menus when using the pencil? The new iPhone lcd can detect pressure but the pencil can detect pressure also. I would think it would be somewhat feasible on the iPad pro.

Reactions: gteska

TheLondonFella

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
Condescending much?

I'll definitely go for the 128GB model, with both the fold out Keyboard and Pencil. I really hope it isn't half-assed like the first Surface Pro, but so far Apple hasn't delivered a less-than-satisfactory product.

I'm going for the 128GB model, too.

Silver.

I'll get a Smart Case for it.

Do you reckon there'll be any problems getting one?

I can't see there being waiting times, like there are with iPhones ...

TheLondonFella

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
I've got a 16GB iPad3. Loved it initially and used it constantly, but now it's very sluggish, and I need more storage. Every time I add something, I have to delete something else! It's gotten so bad, I barely use it now.

I made a mistake the other day.

My neighbour sold me his 16GB Air 2 WITH LEATHER CASE for £100 ... and I sold it, straight away!!

I almost doubled my money, but I now wish I'd kept ahold of it.

The only reason I sold it was because the of 16GB storage, which I know is limiting, but still ... the case alone is about £60 to buy in the UK!

I still have the case, by they way.

So, is 16GB storage on an iPad THAT bad? As I said, that was the only reason I sold it (I also thought the Air 3 would have been announced at the conference the other day, too).

Anyway, since selling the Air 2 it has become more apparent how sluggish my 4 can be (love the 64GB of storage, though).

This is why I'm so onboard with regards to the iPad Pro.

It's "time" for me, if you know what I mean?

The iPad Pro has come along at the perfect time ...

Reactions: Codeseven

darkknight14

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2011
No 3D touch though guys... gonna feel out of date fast.

Yes I was confused by this, even though Apple has been known to do this, stage out new technology (Retina displays). It just made perfect sense to include it on the iPad PRO.

As I have seen mentioned it really is the new right click on touch displays.

darkknight14

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2011
Apple haven't event announced the pre-order date for the iPad Pro, also I'm not seeing the Uk prices on Apples website here in the UK, it would be nice to know how much the iPad Pro is going to cost. I will be pre-ordering one.

..and the Apple TV pricing also, I am guessing £699 for entry level iPad PRO and £150 for new :apple:TV

TheLondonFella

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
..and the Apple TV pricing also, I am guessing £699 for entry level iPad PRO and £150 for new :apple:TV

The 128GB iPhone 6s Plus on the US Apple Store is $949, which is the same as the iPad Pro 128GB.

The 128GB iPhone 6s Plus on the UK store is £789.

You reckon this same "conversion" will apply to the iPad Pro, too?

Paul6s

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2015
Fallen in loved with the iPad Pro.

I actually think the price is superb, as well as the device.

I'm pre-ordering the 128gb model, as soon as the Apple Store is back up!

Probably go for silver.

Who else is with me on pre-ordering?

If so, which colour are you going for?
I'm with you all the way bro! I'm more crazy about the iPad pro than the 6s. I really dig the Space grey!

Reactions: TheLondonFella

Mystro

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2011
Two completely different sizes for different applications. The mini 4 is my portable toy /work iPad. The Pro is my work/toy iPad. I have been running my business with a mid size iPad for awhile now. I need a bigger work screen. 128gd in both. I may buy two IPad Pros one for me and one to sit out for my clients to play with.

Why a mini and a pro?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.