Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rainerm

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2024
SF Nay area
There is a little stepper motor inside the AVP to move the lens where it needs to be. That should be the sound you are hearing.
The distance of the lens also depends on the distance from your eye to the screen/lens.
If this isn’t right then things are not going to be as sharp as they could be.

Reactions: GCat

GCat

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2024
There is a little stepper motor inside the AVP to move the lens where it needs to be. That should be the sound you are hearing.
The distance of the lens also depends on the distance from your eye to the screen/lens.
If this isn’t right then things are not going to be as sharp as they could be.

Very interesting!

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Also, if you look at the Zeiss lenses themselves up close, there's two barely visible little circles that the eye tracking system uses to align / calibrate against.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Undoubtedly, they just seemed to imply that software is doing vision correction which is not the case. Oh how I wish it was.

Yeah let me be clear.

The software appears to apply some level of “correction” to the view based on what the RX prescription strength “tells” it when you scan the Zeiss QR code. That variable plugs into a formula (where I don’t know yet) and the rendering for each eye is done based on that. You can somewhat see this when you close one eye and the other view for the other eye “refocuses.” It’s not enough to bring the other eye into clarity for me but it’s doing something when it can no longer read the first eye.

It’s highly noticeable if you use Accessibility to address only right or left eye.

So in no way is the AVP correcting vision. It’s compensating for the vision correction provided by the Zeiss lenses and as such it appears to be over/under compensating based on the code it gets for the lenses.

I’ve also reported this to an Apple dev support agent and got a similar “Ohhhhhh” response. It’s an edge case they didn’t consider most likely. And it’s fixing that software “correction variable” that could possible alleviate this issue.

The big tipoff for me is looking in Settings and noting that it says right there that you may have “slightly corrected” your actual RX prescription. It’s a software correction likely to the rendering algo’s and eye tracking.

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
Yeah let me be clear.

The software appears to apply some level of “correction” to the view based on what the RX prescription strength “tells” it when you scan the Zeiss QR code. That variable plugs into a formula (where I don’t know yet) and the rendering for each eye is done based on that. You can somewhat see this when you close one eye and the other view for the other eye “refocuses.” It’s not enough to bring the other eye into clarity for me but it’s doing something when it can no longer read the first eye.

It’s highly noticeable if you use Accessibility to address only right or left eye.

So in no way is the AVP correcting vision. It’s compensating for the vision correction provided by the Zeiss lenses and as such it appears to be over/under compensating based on the code it gets for the lenses.

I’ve also reported this to an Apple dev support agent and got a similar “Ohhhhhh” response. It’s an edge case they didn’t consider most likely. And it’s fixing that software “correction variable” that could possible alleviate this issue.

The big tipoff for me is looking in Settings and noting that it says right there that you may have “slightly corrected” your actual RX prescription. It’s a software correction likely to the rendering algo’s and eye tracking.
How cool will actual vision correction be? "Press the crown when the text on the screen looks clear" Done.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I am having with this headset before the return period is up because they take a ridiculous 10 days to make these.

Just before the return period ends initiate a return. You then have (10 days?) to return it which will give you more time. If the lenses work cancel the return.

dwhite601

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2021
Inserting extra lenses would likely change the magnification of the headset optics. I wonder if the mechanical adjustment is to correct the display of your environment so it matches what you'd see with out the headset. In other words, if something in your room appeared to you to be 37 degrees to the left without the headset, the headset should show that item 37 degrees to the left as well.

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
Who exactly needs prescription lens inserts?

I wear glasses for distance every day, but I can hold a phone or an iPad 10-18" from my face without my glasses and see them just as crisp with or without glasses. If Vision Pro is placing screens a couple inches away from your eyes, why would I need prescription lenses? There is no real passthrough...its fake passthrough captured by cameras and projected to the displays that are inches away from your eyes. Shouldn't everything appear just as clear as it would when I normally hold a display close to my face?

Rainerm

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2024
SF Nay area
Yes, but you hold the display at about 10-18” away from your eyes. The display in the AVP is much closer. The eye focuses on the display. The distance the objects appear are an illusion. I don’t think that the eye needs to refocus when “switching” from the distance to near when wearing the AVP.
I get mine tomorrow so I can try this out. But I am pretty sure that what it is.

Mac407

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2018
How far are your eyes to the lenses with the inserts installed? I’ve measured a 21 lightseal without lenses, and gotten 23/25 with inserts. Anyone have success with the 21 lightseal with inserts installed, or is it too close for optimal viewing?

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
Who exactly needs prescription lens inserts?

I wear glasses for distance every day, but I can hold a phone or an iPad 10-18" from my face without my glasses and see them just as crisp with or without glasses. If Vision Pro is placing screens a couple inches away from your eyes, why would I need prescription lenses? There is no real passthrough...its fake passthrough captured by cameras and projected to the displays that are inches away from your eyes. Shouldn't everything appear just as clear as it would when I normally hold a display close to my face?
Even though the displays are physically very close to the eyes, the optics between the displays and the eyes in the AVP make the displays appear several feet or more away for people with 20:20 vision (otherwise, there's absolutely no way a person's eyes can focus on a display an inch or less away from the eyes). If a person's eyes cannot clearly see several feet away or more (I have no idea what focal distance Apple uses), they will not see clearly in the AVP, and they will need lens inserts to adjust the optics for their eyes.

Generally, if you need glasses to see things in the distance, you will need inserts for the AVP.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Even though the displays are physically very close to the eyes, the optics between the displays and the eyes in the AVP make the displays appear several feet or more away for people with 20:20 vision (otherwise, there's absolutely no way a person's eyes can focus on a display an inch or less away from the eyes). If a person's eyes cannot clearly see several feet away or more (I have no idea what focal distance Apple uses), they will not see clearly in the AVP, and they will need lens inserts to adjust the optics for their eyes.

Generally, if you need glasses to see things in the distance, you will need inserts for the AVP.

This, and also I find that the AVP's focal point is several feet further than Quest 3 (which was several feet further than Quest 2's focal point).

Quest 2 felt like ~4 feet
Quest 3 feels like ~8 feet
AVP feels like they've got it at like 12 feet.

Q2 I could use with no distance RX inserts, Quest 3 I needed them quite badly, and AVP even my Zeiss inserts aren't doing it for me and I'm now going for an updated rx with a stronger prescription.

Reactions: dmi

Rainerm

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2024
SF Nay area

I agree that it is hard to imagine that someone could focus those 2 inches of distance.
But on the other hand, if it the distance focus is what counts why would they offer “readers” which is close distance, and not the other kind of glasses for distance reading?
I just need reader but I can see clearly after a few feet and I am sure i need the readers or even prescriptions.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
I agree that it is hard to imagine that someone could focus those 2 inches of distance.
But on the other hand, if it the distance focus is what counts why would they offer “readers” which is close distance, and not the other kind of glasses for distance reading?
I just need reader but I can see clearly after a few feet and I am sure i need the readers or even prescriptions.

This is the thing that I think is ridiculous that Apple does not explain further. My step dad (72 years old) got an AVP and bought the +2-2.75 readers with it (what he normally wears in glasses form), and suffered eye strain the first few days. He texted me the other day and said he removed the readers and all of his eye strain went away and the interface was just as clear, just without his eyes having to work as hard to compensate for whatever the readers were doing.

If the focal point is ~10+ feet, why are they instructing users to buy readers? My eyes are the opposite (I need distance correction past about 8 feet) so I can't experiment.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
As others have said, the readers are a big mystery. It makes no sense to have them.

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2009
Hi all,

I tried finding an answer to this specific question but couldn’t find it. I’m considering buying a Vision Pro in the morning. I have a minor astigmatism and wear glasses for reading/distance use. I can see without them, just a little blurry. I realized my script expired last year (thought it was a 2 year) so I’d have to order the Zeiss inserts and then try to get an eye exam and the inserts ordered in the two week period. I know the Vision Pro comes with two light seal cushions but that the light seal was impacted by the use of the inserts.

I saw conflicting information that the second cushion involved the inserts, so I didn’t know if I could just order without, get the script at my leisure and swap out the cushion when they came in, or if I’m better off forgoing the purchase until I have the script in hand so if I have an issue with the light seal I’ll be within the 14 days of purchase.

Appreciate the advice as always!

*Fixed title

Last edited:

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I have a minor astigmatism and wear glasses for reading/distance use. I can see without them, just a little blurry. I realized my script expired last year (thought it was a 2 year) so I’d have to order the Zeiss inserts

You can order the VP and submit your prescription to Zeiss. They respond quickly. If they are unable to use your prescription you can cancel the order.

My prescription was dated 12/27/2022 with an expiration date of 2 years. No problems with it other than fact that I had to resubmit it because the license number was missing.

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2009
I’m assuming they’ll tag me because mine is expired. I guess my question is if I buy it, and can’t get an appointment until next week to get an eye exam I’m pushing the 14 days. Am I going to be in a position where now the light seal doesn’t fit because I have or don’t have inserts in, or is that the reason for the second cover?

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I’m assuming they’ll tag me because mine is expired. I guess my question is if I buy it, and can’t get an appointment until next week to get an eye exam I’m pushing the 14 days. Am I going to be in a position where now the light seal doesn’t fit because I have or don’t have inserts in, or is that the reason for the second cover?

This is the first I’ve heard the light seal depends on the inserts, are you sure? In any event the second one is just a bit wider, doubt it will impact the inserts. But this seems to be putting the cart before the horse, surely Apple has dealt with this issue before so I would talk to them. Why would you take home an AVP without inserts if you need them? Inserts first, unit second. Do you have a store nearby?

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2009
This is the first I’ve heard the light seal depends on the inserts, are you sure? In any event the second one is just a bit wider, doubt it will impact the inserts. But this seems to be putting the cart before the horse, surely Apple has dealt with this issue before so I would talk to them. Why would you take home an AVP without inserts if you need them? Inserts first, unit second. Do you have a store nearby?

I’d seen posts that said people received different light seal recommendations based on whether the insert was there, presumably taking up space. I was concerned if I bought tomorrow and couldn’t get the inserts for a bit the seal might be wrong in the meantime. I wasn’t sure how much of an issue that is.

Reactions: G5isAlive

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
I originally ordered an AVP without inserts (21W). When I finally ordered the lenses, a different seal (23W) was recommended for a better fit. From here and other forums, my experience is not unusual and appears to be common, although some people oddly were not recommended a different size seal.

Interestingly, the 21W is more comfortable with lenses than 23W.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I would recommend visiting an Apple Store to get confirmation on any of this first. And if you’re planning on using inserts, I would just order them at the same time. Did you demo the device at an Apple Store with or without inserts?

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2009
I would recommend visiting an Apple Store to get confirmation on any of this first. And if you’re planning on using inserts, I would just order them at the same time. Did you demo the device at an Apple Store with or without inserts?
I haven’t done a demo yet. My thought was to purchase and return if I didn’t like it, but wasn’t sure if part of the purchase process was I could try on my unit to confirm the light seal. If not I’d postpone and schedule a demo appointment for some time next week.

*edited to not duplicate another thread

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
I have a similar situation. I was undecided at first, whether to get inserts or not. I had cataract surgery several years ago which gave me 20/20 vision. However, I do have still have an astigmatism that affects my distance and reading. I don’t usually wear glasses anymore watching television or at the movies. I do use them for driving & reading. I find the inserts helpful. I can use them without the inserts. I certainly recommend that you get them after your exam try them out and if you find they help you’ll be glad you went through this process. Remember, you always have two weeks to return them. You don’t have to wait to purchase the Vision Pro. You can always buy it now and have your exam and order the inserts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.