Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
View attachment 2021643 Thank God we have a kind hearted adult in the WH

inflation is eating us all alive, and gas prices, and the economy crumbling before our eyes, but Thank God for no more mean tweets!
Gas is $9 per gallon in the UK!
No doubt the product was subpar. It tends to get that way when the core of your business becomes union negotiations. Just a little shift in focus. Plus not everyone is working in the same direction. When times got tough, unions would strike. That’s not exactly gonna help the situation or overall health of the company. I remember quotes from people in the local paper saying the union would rather risk the plant going under than to have to pay any healthcare premiums. We’ll, the plant went under not too many years later.
We’ll never agree Sid, that’s fine.
The underlying problem in most industry is the balance between employer and employee. For centuries employers have screwed employees into the ground. Unions managed to claw that back in the 1970s then, arguably, took advantage and started to screw the employer.
There is a balance and it has not been reached. These days employers are screwing over employees again.
Apple does not give its retail employees stability as far as shift patterns are concerned. This makes it hard for employees to plan their leisure/family lives.
There is no reason for this Apple have the data and could make life easier for people. The result is a union, a natural consequence.

Reactions: DC Wallaby

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
There's a reason every fast or semi-fast food restaurant wants me to order from an electronic kiosk now.
Yes….Apple can “will” do this and just have a few store employees. No need to have many employees now. They cut the “genius” down to not highly technical people, but don’t do major fixes in stores anymore. Send the product somewhere else to fix.

Apple will find a way to continue not taking a hit on profits. Tim is a master at supply, so stores are no different.

Unions have there place at times, but probably not at Apple. Prices will rise (again), stores will be cut, minimal employees to assist (take a number and someone will be with you in an hour)…not good for customers…

Employees think it will be good…”just” the ones who are left after the cut backs and layoffs.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Wel, that was before oil and natural gas spiked rather significantly dur to a certain invasion, do keep up plz, the "who us bad" label does not currently apply ti anyon with oil to sell ( aspart from Russians), rhe tube will probably change rather swiftly once Ukraine is sirterpd and related embargoes from both sides are lifted

Yup. Now that he and his fellow Democrats are facing heavy backlash, we see how malleable their morals are.

Reactions: George Dawes

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
Strange that unionizing and protecting the workers' rights has always been such a big deal in the US. Here in Sweden it's a rule of thumb.
In Sweden unions fund political campaigns and incentive workers to vote for a specific politician while a few union leaders makes themselves rich? Unions are good only when they are self-funded independent institutions that are equally distant from the Government and the employers and act only in the workers' best interest. Here in Spain, unions receive generous funding from the state budget in exchange for being quiet and not organizing any protests against the Government. Record inflation and skyrocketing prices of basic goods and services and yet not a single sigh of opposition from the main unions.

Last edited:
Reactions: pastrychef

Marli

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
In Sweden unions fund political campaigns and incentive workers to vote for a specific politician while a few union leaders makes themselves rich?
Has been the same in Australia.. That's why over time we have been breaking them up.. they still exists, but are not entrenched like once they were.. Personally, I have never been part of a union. They are basically just a self serving cult. like other cults they recruit vulnerable people to their cause, usually lining their own pockets.

johnsc3

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2018
Unions are typically created due to workplace wages being too low/working conditions/general workplace conduct not held to a specific standard.

I've always held the belief that Apple Store employees don't get their fare share wage wise as well as company benefits that corporate employees may have.

Instead of praise, Tim should take a deeper look with the management team to fix what the employees are asking for.
$1 says they want parity with non-retail employees, same benefits structure…, next it will be the vendors / contractors wanting a piece.

I can assure you. Big Box / Specialty retail are taking a hard look at this.

jon9091

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
So…what poison pills were in the bills? Sounds like you stretching the truth, link the bills. I doubt they were as clairvoyant as you make them to be
It’s weird how your computer didn’t come with Google. Look up the bills and read them yourself.

• Haha
Reactions: surfzen21

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
If the employees felt the need to unionize, I'm sure they had good reasons to. They voted on a 2-1 margin. It's hard to get 66% of people to agree on anything.
Yeah this is my take on it.
Apple I understand had made a number of recent changes but I’d suggest it was too little too late and all the goodwill has been used up.

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
I don't buy at union shops if I have an alternative. I'll just go by to window shop, handle the product and buy on line. Many other retailers offer Apple products. Apple is now allowing independent repair of their products, so no need for "unionized" genius bars. So long jobs.
Just curious, but if the "union" demands are too much, would Apple care if a store went on strike? Customers have many other stores/alternatives.
Employees at Canal Villere grocery stores in New Orleans went on strike many years ago. Demands were unreasonable, so the stores just shut down. The "striking employees" paraded around for a while until they found that no one was paying any attention to them.

• Love

Marli

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
What happens if you want to work their, but don't want to be in their union.. they get together and bash you as a "scab".. Being the non union person in that shop makes you more valuable to Apple immediately.. and you will be running the place in no time..

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
Here is what will happen. Apple will close the store. In fact some day they will likely close all the stores. Brick and mortar stores are all well and good but all they really need is an agreement with best buy to act as a warranty return depot and provide all customer support virtually.

• Disagree
Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

cicalinarrot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
I wish Biden would worry less about political grabs of attention and worry about inflation and price of goods.
If Biden got shot JFK or Lincoln style, the first comment on the Youtube video would be some american genius, who clearly understands how inflation works, saying "Maybe Biden should worry a little less about this woke bullet-culture-war and focus on the only thing we care about, gas prices".
He's a president, he does and says a lot of things. Maybe you only care about gas prices but he totally shouldn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.