Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

urnotl33t

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2017
Cary, NC, USA
Chase does it, albeit only for long stock purchases, not shorts or options. The first X (some number I've never hit) trades are free. Robin Hood is a total scam, tells market-makers over at Citadel what everyone's aggregated trades are before they go through.
My bank sold their stuff to Schwab so that's where I am now. Free trades, but I'm sure that's costing me something somewhere. Options are available in the non-qualified brokerage account, and margin accounts are available, too. I doubt this is the "best place" to be, but it's not bad so far.

Yes, RH is pure evil.

Reactions: sudo-sandwich

sudo-sandwich

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
My bank sold their stuff to Schwab so that's where I am now. Free trades, but I'm sure that's costing me something somewhere. Options are available in the non-qualified brokerage account, and margin accounts are available, too. I doubt this is the "best place" to be, but it's not bad so far.

Yes, RH is pure evil.
I'm not sure either how they make money. Might be taking a loss there but a gain on those regular checking/savings accounts, plus they're lending out whatever money I don't have in stocks. Could even in theory be lending out the stocks I hold (e.g. to short-sellers), but I don't understand the technicalities there.

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Best not to spout BS on the internet that’s easily refuted

Pacemaker

Zipper
Why not use more serious sources instead of munbo jumbo sites. You just spit in your own bowl, friendo.

Peacemaker(Sweden):

Zipper(Sweden):
1655878174020.jpeg

Howe's device was more like an elaborate drawstring than a true slide fastener.

Forty-two years later, in 1893, Whitcomb Judson, who invented a pneumatic street railway, patented a "Clasp Locker". The device served as a (more complicated) hook-and-eye shoe fastener.
Judson is sometimes given credit as the inventor of the zipper, but his device was not used in clothing.

(F) - Failed

Last edited:

Admiralbison

macrumors regular
May 23, 2021
Biden is just talk.

He knows corporate America, THAT INCLUDES YOU APPLE, prioritize their useless greedy shareholders who do jack S*** any of the work and get the lions share of the profits and earnings the workers did.

Biden does not fight Wall st, corrupt corporate Democrats…that Apple corporation has put $millions in campaign contributions into.

Apple customers/end users and Apple workers >>>>>>>>>>>Apple corporation and Apple shareholders.

• Disagree
Reactions: pastrychef

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
Why not use more serious sources instead of munbo jumbo sites. You just spit in your own bowl, friendo.

Peacemaker(Sweden):

Zipper(Sweden):
View attachment 2022098

Howe's device was more like an elaborate drawstring than a true slide fastener.

Forty-two years later, in 1893, Whitcomb Judson, who invented a pneumatic street railway, patented a "Clasp Locker". The device served as a (more complicated) hook-and-eye shoe fastener.
Judson is sometimes given credit as the inventor of the zipper, but his device was not used in clothing.

(F) - Failed
Next reply is that they’re old and insignificant inventions 😂

Anyways: I still fail to see the evidence that supports the original hypothesis that having more vacations, good conditions for workers and unions will decrease innovation.

Granted a lot of great innovations have been made in the US. Also many of them are old. Like +50 years. I’m not denying that.

But if we are to compare countries numbers of innovation then it should at least be normalized with population size.

Reactions: Homy and Wildkraut

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Next reply is that they’re old and insignificant inventions 😂

Anyways: I still fail to see the evidence that supports the original hypothesis that having more vacations, good conditions for workers and unions will decrease innovation.

Granted a lot of great innovations have been made in the US. Also many of them are old. Like +50 years. I’m not denying that.

But if we are to compare countries numbers of innovation then it should at least be normalized with population size.
Yep, I’m not even from Sweden, but his statement was that Sweden never invented something, and that’s utter BS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Homy

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Biden is just talk.

He knows corporate America, THAT INCLUDES YOU APPLE, prioritize their useless greedy shareholders who do jack S*** any of the work and get the lions share of the profits and earnings the workers did.

Biden does not fight Wall st, corrupt corporate Democrats…that Apple corporation has put $millions in campaign contributions into.

Apple customers/end users and Apple workers >>>>>>>>>>>Apple corporation and Apple shareholders.

Yeah. Everyone who invests their hard earned savings is useless and greedy.

Wait... Doesn't that make workers at Apple Stores who receive shares of AAPL as part of their compensation useless and greedy too???

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
Yeah. Everyone who invests their hard earned savings is useless and greedy.

Wait... Doesn't that make workers at Apple Stores who receive shares of AAPL as part of their compensation useless and greedy too???
Straw man argument: Nobody claims that all investors are greedy.

Edit: actually he kind of did that. Sorry

Normally you only start investing money if you have your basic needs (home and food) covered. And probably also the most common nice-to-have things. So when you have more money than you need to spent.

That doesn’t make you greedy as such, but it does put you in that strange moral dilemma where you want a good return on your investment and are likely to get a higher return if the workers (that might just have their basic needs covered) get less for their effort, hence preventing them from ever be able to become investors them self.

The special case of apple giving employees shares is… well… special. I don’t know the details of those deals. We have similar arrangements in Denmark, but it usually comes with a lot of strings attached preventing the guys on the floor to get any significant return. I guess that the individual employee in retail have very little influence on how that “investment” will pay off and unless they hold on to the shares for many years or got them back in 1998 it’s unlikely to make them rich. Some of them might even prefer to have the cash instead or invest in something else.

Last edited:

Marli

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
LMAO. What kind of business is going to give you 5 weeks off from work, regardless of how long you've been working? That's wildly impractical.
haha you need to travel and get out a bit more. many give you much more.. I get 4 weeks a year, and as I have been working for the same company for 10 years, I get 13 weeks long service to use at my discretion, or get paid out when i leave.. Its common if you research it..

And this includes any Apple employee here.. its mandated.

Macative

Suspended
Mar 7, 2022
Oh, I don't doubt that there are people who take advantage of this. However, I wouldn't want to get food poisoning because of such policies. Would you want to get food poisoning? Likewise, you seem to be making it about how "employers can do no wrong".

As for people not showing up on time, or at all, some employers have been misguided into thinking that some greasy high school teen being paid minimum wage makes for a reliable employee. Or how a college student would choose to skip work to study for finals instead of working at some dead end job. Employers need to learn how to get enough redundancy into their essential services to run a business.
Baseless accusation followed by "employers just need to figure it out". Pretty typical.

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
haha you need to travel and get out a bit more. many give you much more.. I get 4 weeks a year, and as I have been working for the same company for 10 years, I get 13 weeks long service to use at my discretion, or get paid out when i leave.. Its common if you research it..

And this includes any Apple employee here.. its mandated.
Yep. These kind of perks just fall down from the sky if you wish for it…

Or if you have a strong union 😎

And trust me. It’s not like the companies in my country are close to bankruptcy. They’re doing quite well.

Macative

Suspended
Mar 7, 2022
May I ask: Are you employee or employer?
No, you may not. Because you've already decided I must be an employer, and thus my perspective must be entirely driven by that. Because if I were an employee, surely I would want more more more better better better.

I'm an employee, who thinks most people have delusional expectations from businesses.

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
No, you may not. Because you've already decided I must be an employer, and thus my perspective must be entirely driven by that. Because if I were an employee, surely I would want more more more better better better.

I'm an employee, who thinks most people have delusional expectations from businesses.
I haven’t decided anything. I’m honestly trying to understand the world perspective you have.

I would understand small business owners with like <20 employees or so. I really admire these managers for making ends meet. Likewise I really admire those employees in such business that are flexible and work with their manager to make it work - postpone vacation if needed etc.

For bigger companies w. >>100 employees it’s just the name of the game. And in most countries the well managed companies with a good product can make it work. Also while giving 5 weeks payed vacation etc.

For companies like Amazon and Apple that make a massive profit then I see no reason why they could not give their employees that. And I don’t see a reason why employees should not want it - unless they are suffering from severe Stockholm syndrome and perceive their employers as victims…. Especially if their employer is sending a giant penis-shaped rocket into space just to show off.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

What's delusional about an employer offering me a salary and benefits that include 5 weeks paid leave per year?

Macative

Suspended
Mar 7, 2022
What's delusional about an employer offering me a salary and benefits that include 5 weeks paid leave per year?
Its unrealistic for most businesses. 5 weeks of paid leave?! That's absurd. They have to pay you to not come to work for 5 entire weeks.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Its unrealistic for most businesses. 5 weeks of paid leave?! That's absurd. They have to pay you to not come to work for 5 entire weeks.
It's pretty normal for corporate work. Especially with a few years of longevity. They aren't paying you to not come to work. The are paying you to work 47 weeks spread over 52 weeks. It's part of the benefits package.

But, to the point, there's nothing "delusional" or "absurd" about an employer choosing to offer a benefit to attract and retain employees.

Reactions: ninecows

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
It's pretty normal for corporate work. Especially with a few years of longevity. They aren't paying you to not come to work. The are paying you to work 47 weeks spread over 52 weeks. It's part of the benefits package.

But, to the point, there's nothing "delusional" or "absurd" about an employer choosing to offer a benefit to attract and retain employees.
Don’t take this personally but I’m beginning to think that US employees are either inefficient or are getting screwed hard… 🤷‍♂️

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Don’t take this personally but I’m beginning to think that US employees are either inefficient or are getting screwed hard… 🤷‍♂️
I think we're incredibly efficient. We just aren't compensated. A controlling minority has an absolute belief in capitalism while ignoring that market forces don't work when a free market doesn't exist. Employers who merge with or muscle out competition are considered savvy. Employees who "merge" to form unions are branded as icky.

We also have the irrational belief that we can all win the lottery, both literally and figuratively (through "hard work"). :)

Reactions: ninecows

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
I think we're incredibly efficient. We just aren't compensated. A controlling minority has an absolute belief in capitalism while ignoring that market forces don't work when a free market doesn't exist. Employers who merge with or muscle out competition are considered savvy. Employees who "merge" to form unions are branded as icky.

We also have the irrational belief that we can all win the lottery, both literally and figuratively (through "hard work"). :)
Judging by the GDP/capita for US I was also leaning towards the last possibility. Doesn’t strike me as an inefficient country 😉

Macative

Suspended
Mar 7, 2022

There is big difference between the level of corporate work you're talking about and small businesses that need people to run the place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.