Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I hate these Sony vs. MS discussions because you can't win, its an emotional decision and people can be very tribal when it comes to their game consoles - I'm including myself.

Yet, after weeks of not getting a PS5, I've given up and I'll wait until January or February when the craziness dies down. Speaking of craziness I saw (because I was curious), how so many people are trying to gouge on the PS5, I'm not exaggerating when I say there's listings for the game console for 50,000 dollars. That's just crazy, I have to think no one in their right will be a 500 dollar console for 10000% markup.

Back on topic, I've been a PS4 fan and enjoy the game selections but in all seriousness the subscription that MS offers including the addition of EA play make a compelling case for the Xbox. Day 1 next gen game availability certainly goes to Sony, AND I'm not really a huge fan of the Halo franchise. With MS owning Obsidian and now Bethesda I'm seeing some level of logic with going to xbox.

I have time on my side, and so I'll be obsessing about this topic from now until those consoles are available (unless the wife has purchased one of those for me and thus removes the decision ;) )

So while I'd like to avoid platform wars here, what advantages do people think the Xbox has over the PS5 - other then the subscription service.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
The TFLOPS!!

Seriously though, if you are interested in dipping your toe in the XBox pool, you could get a S.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
you could get a S.
In for a penny in for a pound, and given that I have a nice large 4k tv, I'd rather just go whole hog and opt for the X. I saw a while back a comparison of the X and S from Linus and it seems game developers chose between frame rates (lower visual quality) vs. immersion and graphics (lower frame rates) with how the S will perform.

If I'm going to drop hundreds of dollars, I'd rather spend a bit more and have peace of mind that I'll be getting the best I could, PS5 or Xbox

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
In for a penny in for a pound, and given that I have a nice large 4k tv, I'd rather just go whole hog and opt for the X. I saw a while back a comparison of the X and S from Linus and it seems game developers chose between frame rates (lower visual quality) vs. immersion and graphics (lower frame rates) with how the S will perform.

If I'm going to drop hundreds of dollars, I'd rather spend a bit more and have peace of mind that I'll be getting the best I could, PS5 or Xbox
That is fair.

This time around I opted to get the S and a PS5. It will be nice to at least have access to both library of games.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
I am in the Xbox camp as the default console and my main one is a One X. I also have a PS4 for the Sony exclusives like Uncharted and The Show. I really to love how fast and fluid the PS4 UI was compared to the Xbox but the latest update really does make the Xbox fly and I love Game Pass Ultimate. It really is nice have that extra library to try out. I really would love to have the PS5/X1SX but they are nowhere to be found here in south Texas.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Sony exclusives like Uncharted and The Show. I really to love how fast and fluid the PS4 UI
I agree, that Sony's exclusives have been one major factor for choosing the platform. Horizon zero dawn for example. Yet that tide may be changing with MS's purchasing of various game developers. As for the UI, since I've never used a Xbox, I can't say Sony's interface is good/bad/ugly.

I will say I'm so used to Sony's controller. I've always thought that the Xbox contoller looks fat and not really good in one's hands

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I do wonder with the release of the dual sense if the impact triggers will get some love now.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
It's all about the games. Nintendo and Sony have the games(exclusives) i want to play. Unfortunately XBox hasn't had any that interest me enough, so far (and personally, after the DRM announcement debacle before the XBO release... i'm a bit wary of their products).

I usually get a new console when it has at least 2-3 games I want to play on it (or in the case of Switch, 'Breath of the Wild').

Cheers

Number-Six

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2013
For me, it's become all about the controller. I hated the PS3 controller, I preferred the Xbox One controller.

However, after getting used to the Dualshock4 controller last year, I tried playing on my Xbox One again and now prefer the Sony controller.

So while I was not able to get a pre-order for the PS5, I will be waiting a while and getting it when it becomes available.

The games I am interested in playing are all cross platform anyway, so I can just choose the console with the most comfortable controller (for me, for someone else that would be another console).

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Xbox controller still needs batteries

I don’t know if that bothers people half as much as it does me

anodibu

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2013
Last year I was having the same dilemma. I had the regular PS4 but having a 4K television, I wanted a game console to take advantage of that. I didn’t see the upgrade to PS4 Pro as worthwhile plus I always wanted to try the Forza games, so I bought an Xbox One X.
At first I found the UI less handy than PS4. The PS4 is more focused on your games, while Xbox displays more stuff I am not interested in. The latest update has improved it and now I like it.
For multiplatform games the Xbox has become my main console and currently I am using it more than my PS4. So I have no regrets buying it. Next upgrade will be to PS5 but I am not in a hurry.
By the way now there is an action where you can get 3 months of Game Pass Ultimate for 1 euro.

You can buy a rechargeable battery from Microsoft. First thing I did after buying my Xbox, now it behaves the same as a DS4.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Most big titles are crossplatform. Therefore the PS5 and Series X are comparable when it comes to playing games with you friends.

If you are passionate about certain exclusives then get the consoles that has them.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I almost bought an Xbox X at best buy, they must have gotten a shipment in and I was close but I held off for a couple of reasons.
First, we're less then a week away from Christmas and I spent enough on my wife and kids. Plus who know if the bride bought me an xbox or a ps5. Finally, I almost always come to regret an impulse buy and suddenly taking the plunge like that is an impulse buy. More obsessing needs to occur on my part :p

For me, it's become all about the controller.
Agree, and from the YT videos, and Sony put a lot of thought, and work into a next gen controller with dynamically resistive triggers, multiple motors in the controller for fine tuning a type of feedback. People on YT seemed blown away about how it could be a game changer. Of course developers have to take advantage and that's a big if.

In an unboxing therapy YT, he's comparing PS5 and Xbox X and shows off that the default Xbox controller takes batteries - shocking. Of course he also shows off the Elite controller for over 200 bucks for the Xbox and that controller imo puts it on par with the PS5 (without the dual shock goodness).

At first I found the UI less handy than PS4.
I heard that, I'm not a huge fan of the PS4 interface, but it does what I want it too for games. More awkward in other areas like trying to watch a streaming service.

For multiplatform games the Xbox has become my main console
That's what I'm thinking for me, with the subscription I can play on my PC and/or my console

If you are passionate about certain exclusives
Here's the rub, I like a lot of the exclusives for the Playstation, and I have the Xbox game sub to play some xbox games on my PC. I've tried Halo master chief edition and the Gears franchise - neither grabbed me.

I think if I were to choose the Xbox and I am leaning towards it, is because of the xbox game pass which the ultimate includes EA play. That really does open the doors to so many titles that I can play and not have to buy.

Sony has been trying to buff up Playstation Now but at this point there's a huge difference between what I could have access too with the Xbox vs. PS.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I think if I were to choose the Xbox and I am leaning towards it, is because of the xbox game pass which the ultimate includes EA play. That really does open the doors to so many titles that I can play and not have to buy.
Gamepass is one of the main reasons why I bought the Series X over the PS5.

Overtime, gamepass will grow as a strong selling point as gamers understand how it can benefit them. There are two ways.

1. Gamepass has games that you like to play. Play them without owning them. E.g EA games.

2. Dip in and out of gamepass to try games that you would not consider buying e.g play a game from a different genre and stop playing half way through without buyers remorse.

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion

I love the fact that it uses batteries. I have 4 rechargeables that I just cycle through. If one set dies, I swap out and am good to go in a matter of seconds.

I switched to xbox back with the 360. I have big hands, and I love the bigger controller in my hands. Plus to me, the offset thumbsticks feel more natural.

I generally play what is available to me to play. I have never seen a single game, nor a group of games that I have felt the need to buy a system for. That's why exclusives never made sense to me. Be a smarter company and make more money selling to a wider audience.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I love the fact that it uses batteries. I have 4 rechargeables that I just cycle through. If one set dies, I swap out and am good to go in a matter of seconds.
I could have bought a chargeable batteey pack for opted for a £13 set of 2800mah AAA x 8 batteries and a charger.

Just like you, I just swap out sets when battery gets low. Swapping out AA batteries is actually satisfying in an old school way ?

thisismyusername

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2015
I went from PS4 + PC to just an Xbox Series X. Game Pass, better backward's compatibility, and Quick Resume were the biggest reasons I chose xbox over ps5. I also prefer xbox controllers. I still like Sony's exclusives but the other factors were much more important to me and I have enough games to last me a lifetime anyway. Plus, I also have a Switch which is my platform of choice when it comes to exclusives I really want to play.

Game Pass alone would have been enough of a reason for me to choose Xbox over PS5. Sure, Sony has PS Now but it's not even close.

Last edited:
Reactions: Khalanad75

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Game Pass alone would have been enough of a reason for me to choose Xbox over PS5
That's where I'm at, I'm leaning towards the Xbox. One of the knocks of the Xbox is there's no native exclusives - while disappointing, I'm not sold this should be a metric to use in deciding the platform. Its the long term potential of the console and what you can play over time that needs to be considered.

That's why exclusives never made sense to me.
I think people have a number of games that are important to them, and if those are exclusive then that does mean it needs to be considered. I have a friend who loves the exclusives on Sony and that's why he opted for the PS5

Reactions: thisismyusername

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
It always comes down to game exclusives, and online friends.

I was XBox since 360 ( People really want OG accounts & early avatars you can no longer purchase ), but what sold me was the Xbox Live implementation. The original chat system was so beautifully done. It was the first time we could have parties of friends in a chat playing together or separately with no effort. Playing Halo, Mech Assault, CoD, and Crackdown were heaven for me. Loved the controller ( but not the insistence of battery packs ), the whole 'blades' idea that let you customize your appearances was fun. It was just a great system that was the fun underdog.

Then we had a change in teams, and they decided that Xbox Live needed to be redone their way. To me it was a cluster mess. At the same time PS4 came out, and many friends jumped. The more I got annoyed with redo of Live ( which they eventually morphed back more towards it's original implementation ) & my friends being on PSN, I cracked when I saw the first available PS4 I jumped on.

I miss Xbox, think the game pass is a great idea for new gamers & non collectors, but I haven't looked back.

The exclusives I want are on PSN, as well as my friends from Xbox, and new ones.

I think that's ultimately the advantage of either system, who you have to play with online regularly, if you are an online player.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Plus, I also have a Switch which is my platform of choice when it comes to exclusives I really want to play.
My daughter is 4.5 and curious about my xbox but her hands are too small for the controller.

Next year I might convince her mum and grand parents to buy her a switch so that I can play animal crossing and Mario Kart.

It would be a great companion console for my Series X. :D

• Haha
Reactions: Khalanad75

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
The hardware aesthetics alone is a reason enough for me to choose Series X over PS5. However, I haven't owned an Xbox console before and would likely have to keep my PS4 Pro to continue playing the PS4 games I have. This is the biggest obstacle for me.

Game Pass et al. does not entice me. Just having a glance at the current catalogue gives me the same feeling as browsing through Netflix: 100s of things I do not even want to play. I don’t mind buying select games that interest me, like I have done for many years.

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
The hardware aesthetics alone is a reason enough for me to choose Series X over PS5. However, I haven't owned an Xbox console before and would likely have to keep my PS4 Pro to continue playing the PS4 games I have. This is the biggest obstacle for me.

Game Pass et al. does not entice me. Just having a glance at the current catalogue gives me the same feeling as browsing through Netflix: 100s of things I do not even want to play. I don’t mind buying select games that interest me, like I have done for many years.

See that's the great thing about Gamepass... these games may not truly interest you that you would actually pay for them, but since they are there, you may try them if you get bored with your normal games you play and might find a few you like.

I have played so many games where I am glad I never purchased them. Hell, GTA5 was on there for a bit and I tried it and hated it. The movement was a horrible feel for me.

But then, I have found so many little hidden gems that some I did actually pay for just to make sure they stay in catalog like Slay the Spire, Undermine, and Dead Cells.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
See that's the great thing about Gamepass... these games may not truly interest you that you would actually pay for them, but since they are there, you may try them if you get bored with your normal games you play and might find a few you like.
Well said. I have no interest in the EA games but enjoyed playing Yakuza like a dragon.

As an avid car and racing enthusiasts I have casually played Forza Horizon and motorsport while waiting for either successor to be released.

Its a money saver. When Flight Simulator is released, I will resubscribe to game pass to try it. If I love it, I will buy it when it goes on sale.

Imagine the money previous gen xbox gamers would have saved if flawed cyberpunk launched on gamepass?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Not everyone ticks like that. I am selective about the games I play and having access to a catalogue is not something that in itself encourages me to try games. To give you an example, I have access to a family member’s shared Steam library with hundreds of ostensibly decent and contemporary games that I still cannot be bothered to even give a try. My PS4 games collection is not that extensive and it consists mostly of major games. I keep a wish list of games that I would like to play someday if I don’t want to buy those right away, but even for this I do not see Game Pass as a solution. You have no control over the games that Microsoft (or EA) makes available at any given point. If you still have to spend money to buy the games that you want to play, I’d expect to spend more money than I am doing now. Game Pass just does nothing for me.

Imagine the money previous gen xbox gamers would have saved if flawed cyberpunk launched on gamepass?
It is a moot point, since Game Pass doesn’t give you access to this game. It seems to me that Game Pass is not for full-priced (AAA) games, at least not recently-launched games.

Since you brought Cyberpunk up: What CDPR delivered for last-generation consoles is borderline false or misleading advertising and it seems that every major online shop (and even some physical shops) accepts refunds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.