Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
in fact I think the only question is, since im not full of money, is whether to go wholly to XBOX with an XBOX Series X, or to consider getting a PS5 and an XBOX series S.
The Series S doesn't support 4k, so for me, its not a consideration.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Well, the Game Pass subscription costs the same, right?

So the difference between the initial hardware expense is less meaningful when you upgrade to the successor to Xbox Series. Assuming the Xbox Series generation lasts about seven years, will you be wishing that you ponied up the extra cash for the Series X for 4K gaming or do you think you will still be happy with 1080p/1440p gaming?

Add up seven years of Game Pass fees then throw in the hardware expense.

When you break down total cost of ownership, the hardware itself is a much smaller portion of your overall expenditure.

This leads to whether or not the Xbox Series X/S is even a good value for someone with a good Windows desktop PC. If Game Pass costs the same, does it make more sense to dump $500 into a GPU card instead of the same amount into standalone videogame hardware considering you can play non-Game Pass games on the PC?

Deeply discounted games from Steam? GOG Galaxy? Ubisoft Connect? Epic?

Modding PC games?

If you don't game on a Windows PC then I think this is a no-brainer: get the Xbox Series X.

Sure. But that might mean I can’t afford a PS5 as well or whether it’s worth spending that sort of money for both consoles. That was my dilemma. I can see the attraction of Xbox now being my main console and I keep my
PS4 as long as it lasts as my second console. Alas then I miss out on all the ps5 exclusives. Up to now I’ve been happy with ps because there hasn’t been an Xbox exclusive I really wanted.

but a lot of my favourite games are Bethesda. Fallout. Dishonoured. Prey. Wolfenstein.

so I’d either see it as Xbox sx for all my gaming or a ps5 for most of my gaming and Xbox ss for the Bethesda games.

tbh if it was the other way round as in if I could have an Xbox sx for most of my gaming and a ps5 lite for the odd Sony exclusive then that would work better.

I can see a lot of PS4 owners having the same quandary as the Bethesda deal is a huge game changer.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Sure. But that might mean I can’t afford a PS5 as well or whether it’s worth spending that sort of money for both consoles. That was my dilemma. I can see the attraction of Xbox now being my main console and I keep my
PS4 as long as it lasts as my second console. Alas then I miss out on all the ps5 exclusives. Up to now I’ve been happy with ps because there hasn’t been an Xbox exclusive I really wanted.

but a lot of my favourite games are Bethesda. Fallout. Dishonoured. Prey. Wolfenstein.

so I’d either see it as Xbox sx for all my gaming or a ps5 for most of my gaming and Xbox ss for the Bethesda games.

tbh if it was the other way round as in if I could have an Xbox sx for most of my gaming and a ps5 lite for the odd Sony exclusive then that would work better.

I can see a lot of PS4 owners having the same quandary as the Bethesda deal is a huge game changer.
If gaming is a true passion of yours then buy the PS5 and Series X.

Long term, the cost per use will be low and you will have the option to sell either console if required.

I would not own an Xbox Series S along the PS5. The difference in graphics will make you want to play the PS5 less.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
what advantages do people think the Xbox has over the PS5
So I took the plunge and I opted to go the ebay route - don't hate me :(

I saw a NIB being offered for a smaller then usual markup and I took the plunge. If time is money, then getting one sooner then spending my time searching and obsessing where one could possibly be was the reason.

It just got delivered today, it was in fact NIB, the seals on the box were intact, in the packaging and accessories all were untouched.

I finished setting it up, just a few minutes ago, though due to work, and life itself, it won't go much further then that until later tonight.

I'm pretty happy and its working as well as one could expect. I was surprised that I had to set it up using my iPhone and xbox app, but everything looks good and I'll be putting it through its paces before I give my feedback to the seller.

I do want to say thanks to everyone who posted in this thread, both for the Xbox and against. I really did want all opinions otherwise I'd have an incomplete picture what may work best for me.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
So I took the plunge and I opted to go the ebay route - don't hate me :(

I saw a NIB being offered for a smaller then usual markup and I took the plunge. If time is money, then getting one sooner then spending my time searching and obsessing where one could possibly be was the reason.

It just got delivered today, it was in fact NIB, the seals on the box were intact, in the packaging and accessories all were untouched.

I finished setting it up, just a few minutes ago, though due to work, and life itself, it won't go much further then that until later tonight.

I'm pretty happy and its working as well as one could expect. I was surprised that I had to set it up using my iPhone and xbox app, but everything looks good and I'll be putting it through its paces before I give my feedback to the seller.

I do want to say thanks to everyone who posted in this thread, both for the Xbox and against. I really did want all opinions otherwise I'd have an incomplete picture what may work best for me.
Congrats! There is no shame in paying a premium to get one.

I was extremely lucky when I pre ordered mine. I cancelled one of the pre orders but the retailer sent me a Series X anyway for FREE!

Basically I had two Series X on launch day. :eek:

Reactions: maflynn

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Congrats! There is no shame in paying a premium to get one.

I was extremely lucky when I pre ordered mine. I cancelled one of the pre orders but the retailer sent me a Series X anyway for FREE!

Basically I had two Series X on launch day. :eek:
Was it Gamestop?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.