Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
It is a moot point, since Game Pass doesn’t give you access to this game. It seems to me that Game Pass is not for full-priced (AAA) games, at least not recently-launched games.

Except for Sea of Thieves, State of Decay II, Gears 5, Forza..... and all upcoming MS games being day 1 gamepass games.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
It seems to me that Game Pass is not for full-priced (AAA) games, at least not recently-launched games.
With EA Play, Obsidian and Bethesda, I'd say it will be. For example, When Outer Worlds hit the streets, a game pass subscriber could play the game. I think overall the inventory of games is large and will grow and it seems likely that Sony will have a hard time matching

Reactions: JayMysterio

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
It seems to me that Game Pass is not for full-priced (AAA) games, at least not recently-launched games.
That is correct. Like for Netflix and Disney Plus, long term success of game pass will hinge on a continuous stream of new content.

Content is king. Although MS is buying studios to delivery 1st party exclusives, I think they will inevitably pay for timed exclusives of AAA.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
So while I'd like to avoid platform wars here, what advantages do people think the Xbox has over the PS5 - other then the subscription service.

So... I still have both of the previous gen consoles (PS4 Pro and XBox One X) here. To be fair, I think they each have their advantages, and I like games that are exclusive to each platforms. Let's say...

1. Gears 5 + Forza Horizon 4 are the reasons I'll stick to One X. Even the Series X version of Forza Horizon 4 seems to have some graphics issues currently that kind of... makes it not worth it.
2. On PS4 Pro, I get... FF7 Remake, Gran Turismo Sports, Spider-Man, God of War, The Last of Us, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, Persona 5, etc...
3. Some multi-platform games do work a bit better on Xbox like, say... Nier's Automata, Hitman 2, The Crew 2, Devil May Cry 5. But then some games also work better on PS4 Pro like Arkham Knight, Metal Gear Solid 5, Tekken 7, Kingdom Hearts 3.

So ultimately, I lean towards my PS4 Pro more so than the Xbox One X since I can list more games on the PS4 that I want to play, whereas most games that I want to play on the One X are cross-platform games that just happen to run better on the One X (but I wouldn't have minded getting their PS4 versions anyways).

Perhaps... you should take a closer look at the games being offered for the Series X, and see which ones actually will even take full advantage of the Series X. If they don't support the full power of Series X, then... I don't think it's worth it to go with Series X for the time being.

This time around, I think Sony has a slightly stronger launch than Microsoft. I'm not seeing any reason that compels me to replace my One X. But the PS5 is really screaming "get me and ditch your PS4 Pro". I'll just patiently wait for 3-4 more months for the craziness to settle down, then I'll just get a regular PS5 at the price point it's supposed to be at.

P.S.: maybe Cyberpunk 2077 will compel me to get Series X once the game is properly patched? But... I'm kind of burned by the bugs that I'm experiencing on One X to be honest. Maybe I'll revisit the game 6 months later, but for now, just one game is not enough reason for me to get a much bigger box.

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Perhaps... you should take a closer look at the games being offered
Good point. I know you're recommending next gen games but I wasnt really pulled in by gears or halo so while the subscription is superior are there games I really want to play
This time around, I think Sony has a slightly stronger launch
Definitely, but then Sony had a better launch with the PS4 as well

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
Content is king.

I don't see how answerable this question is since you bother to state if you are strongly wedded to any of the platform-specific franchises or titles.

Nobody buys Nintendo game systems for their specs. They are bought for their content libraries.

Reactions: BlankStar

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
I had a ps5 on launch day and honestly sold it the next day at the value I purchased it for. You’re NOT missing out much on it. There’s pretty much no amazing launch titles and what is available are pretty much remasters. Also, you can’t move your ps5 library to external storage. The game files are huge, too so only so many games you can get on before you need to start deleting. I’m tempted to just skip the ps5 again for a long while and get an Xbox x, as well. Ps5 is cool and all but don’t let it make you think you’re missing out on something great. It’s nothing special, seriously. Especially considering how Sony is pulling their usual BS of low production at Christmas time just to drive up demand. That’s the final straw with me. They did this type of crap in the past and always have some excuse for it while Microsoft is at least working hard as they can to get consoles out on the market. I have a Nintendo switch that in perfectly happy with and there’s actually a lot of people telling Sony your loss and buying a switch instead since they are available on the market.

Reactions: maflynn

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I had a ps5 on launch day and honestly sold it the next day at the value I purchased it for. You’re NOT missing out much on it. There’s pretty much no amazing launch titles and what is available are pretty much remasters.
Did you not find value in faster load times, improved frame rate, snapper UI and less checker boarding?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Did you not find value in faster load times, improved frame rate, snapper UI and less checker boarding?
To be honest, those items are not really criteria that I'm using to consider a PS5/XBox X. I really couldn't care less about a snappier UI. I'm sure its nice, don't get me wrong, but in deciding whether I want to spend 500+ dollars, its not really on my list

Reactions: delsoul

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
To be honest, those items are not really criteria that I'm using to consider a PS5/XBox X. I really couldn't care less about a snappier UI. I'm sure its nice, don't get me wrong, but in deciding whether I want to spend 500+ dollars, its not really on my list
For me, the speed makes me more inclined to game compared with when I had a ps4 or ps3.

Thanks to quick resume, I end up picking up where I left of within a few seconds of switching on the console.

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
Those are all nice features...but, that's all they are. Features. I buy my games and systems based upon the whole reason of playing games in the first place...fun and having a good time. A game that looks pretty but is awful in gameplay is useless for me. If I want to look at something nice I can always go to the local art museum. The Ps5 will most definitely get better over time with more titles for it, that's certain. Just at this point, people are camping in lines overnight, spending $1500 on scalpers, etc. It's NOT that great and I find even $500 for it to be a bit of a stretch. Graphics look better...so what. That's the one thing that I find that I like on my switch over all my other collection...the games may not be the prettiest, but they are a blast to play and I can get in a quick 10 minute session anytime. The other systems a lot of the games, and even the getting to it process, takes 10 minutes alone just to start.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
the games may not be the prettiest, but they are a blast to play and I can get in a quick 10 minute session anytime.
Nintendo's IP catalogue is second to none. Zelda and Mario games are so easy to get into bad make you smile.

I will likely get a switch as a my second consoles but I couldn't envision it being my only console.

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
Nintendo's IP catalogue is second to none. Zelda and Mario games are so easy to get into bad make you smile.

I will likely get a switch as a my second consoles but I couldn't envision it being my only console.
Switch definitely has its place but it also has its limitations, too. A lot of games don't take much time and you can get in right away to have some fun. But, they don't have many 'adult' themed titles for the grownups. It's slowly changing in that direction, just needs more time. A switch and PS5/Xbox X would be the best of both worlds.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Switch definitely has its place but it also has its limitations, too. A lot of games don't take much time and you can get in right away to have some fun. But, they don't have many 'adult' themed titles for the grownups.
This is one of the reasons why I rarely do IOS gaming. I have played and even bought a few fun games but after 3-4 days I get bored.

However I wish PS5/Xbox had a few fun mario esque games for quick gameplay when my other half is getting the kids ready or taking a looping shower.

The switch is popular amongst dad's for the simple reason that it's easy and quick to play anywhere, whether on a commute, on holiday or in the kitchen if kids are watching the TV.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
However I wish PS5/Xbox had a few fun mario esque games for quick gameplay when my other half is getting the kids ready or taking a looping shower.
Sony has Rachet and Clank, and there's crash bandicoot - those are the fluff type games.

Reactions: BlankStar

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Coming from PS4 Pro, One X, Switch, and PC.

I went with the Xbox Series X first, and will get a PS5 when it's readily available to just walk-in a store and pick one up.

The Series X is the closest I felt to playing on PC from a console. I don't have the latest GPU though, have a 1080ti. Even though I have a Samsung Pro PCIe Drive in my PC, the Series X loads cross platform games faster. Maybe PCie 4 makes that big of a difference. I personally think these new consoles are budget and mid tier PC killers, at least for the next couple of years. And especially since the latest RTX cards are impossible to get.

Design wise, I like the Series X more. The PS5 is massive and looks futuristic, but I guarantee it's look will become old after several months of ownership.

The Series X controller has a sandpaper like grip to it, and I don't know if I like it better or worst than the One controller. I do like that the One controller rechargeable battery fits and works perfectly with the Series X controller. I can't wait to see how good the adaptive triggers and haptic feedback are on the PS5 controllers. Seems like Sony knocked it out the park with their controller. MS could have done slightly more with the new Xbox controllers. That's my biggest complaint so far. But with all that tech in Sony's new controllers, I'll be shocked if battery life is improved from the previous version.

Game wise, PlayStation exclusives are damn good, but they don't have much replay value. Once I beat an exclusive, I rarely come back to it. If I only had a choice of just one console, I would choose Xbox because of Gamepass.

Quick Resume. Being able to turn off my Xbox(instant on enabled) and come back to the game a day later to exactly where I left off is an amazing feature, especially for games with no manual save. I doubt it works if you set your Xbox to completely shut off, but who does that anyways.

I've seen on Youtube, loading times are also minimal on PSVR games. That's great news, and I hope Sony releases a 2nd gen PSVR. Rumors have been mixed about that.

Switch, I haven't finished a game yet on my Switch. This includes Mario and Zelda. Which is a good thing, cause it feels like a new experience everytime I play.

Reactions: Sensamic

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I can't wait to see how good the adaptive triggers and haptic feedback are on the PS5 controllers. Seems like Sony knocked it out the park with their controller. MS could have done slightly more with the new Xbox controllers. That's my biggest complaint so far. But with all that tech in Sony's new controllers, I'll be shocked if battery life is improved from the previous version.

Definitely agree! I'm surprised MS didn't improve on their controller, practically.. all they really did was add a share button.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Xbox controller still needs batteries

I don’t know if that bothers people half as much as it does me
I'm just umm.. pleased with the fact they used USB-C for the controller port. Would of been very disappointing if they kept micro-USB.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I just rather not have batterie.
In a weird way that does kind of rub me the wrong way, but you can buy the elite controller which is rechargeable. I've seen a YT (which I think I mentioned earlier) and its significantly better in build quality feel and using rechargeable batteries.

Maybe I’m so use to Sony and the Dual Shock.
You touch upon one of the major criteria in my choosing. I am used to Sony's controller and will I even like the feel and button layout of the Xbox? I get that eventually I'll grow accustomed to it, but nonetheless it is a factor.

I've gone back and forth on this, and here's where I stand now:
Xbox Advantages:
Subscription
console look/build (the long case actually fits where it goes better)
Long term exclusives from Obsidian and Bethesda

Sony Advantages
Controller
Current list of exclusives, such as Zero Horizon Dawn.

With the Xbox, and the ultimate game pass, I'll have access to a larger game catalog then Sony's and that's really the driving force for me. I'm not sure if my Xbox PC subscription will include EA Play or not. How much of Bethesda's catalog will be exclusive to Xbox, for instance will the unreleased game of Starfield be an exclusive? Bethesda and to a degree MS hints that it probably won't (MS not owning Bethesda yet has to dance around and not answer these type of questions directly).

With the Sony I get what I'm used too, I do enjoy Sony, though having someone hack my account last year and having a lot of trouble with Sony to get it back isn't helping matters, though I take most of the blame as I had let my password lapse and I didn't use 2FA

So bottom line, I'm no where closer to deciding :oops: I do appreciate all of the posts, suggestions and advice however.. If I was a betting man, and if the xbox comes available in stores before the PS5, I'd probably buy that. Yesterday, I was thinking since I had a PS3 and PS4 and have a set of games already in my possession a PS5 makes sense and it does, but who knows what tomorrow will bring ;)

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Personally I buy every console, i'm 62 and have been gaming since the early 90's. I've found that each company has something to offer.

1) Nintendo first party games, nuff said and how they shake up the industry with their crazy ideas that usually works.

2) Sony exclusives and their hardware is typically well designed.

3) Microsoft because of Xbox Live and Game Pass. They still have the BEST online service.

I don't really have any favorites but if I had to choose one, I would go with Xbox and Microsoft's vision for gaming with their version of Netflix. When you combine all the studios they've purchased, Game Pass, Xbox Live and EA Play all rolled into one, that's a killer combination.

My suggestion is if you decide to buy an Xbox go with the Series X. It's more future proof until Microsoft releases their mid cycle Xbox. I'm chomping at the bits to buy a Series X so I can play Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Reactions: mainelyme
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.